Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume there is a monthly/annual cost for the wifi they talk about in the ads. Do anyone know the cost and how well it works with multiple devices trying to stream videos?

·
Registered
597 Posts
It looks like they are using AT&T network and costs $20 a month for unlimited data (under 22GB) similar to other vehicles that use the same service.

Here is the AT&T car connect website https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/connected-car.html

I put in the 2018 Ford Explorer which uses the same connection as the Ascent isn't listed yet just to pull up the information.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
Is the service month-to-month, or is there a contract that requires you to keep the service for a year or so?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is the service month-to-month, or is there a contract that requires you to keep the service for a year or so?
I both called SOA and AT&T about this a while ago. My main question was if you could just use the wifi when you wanted it. I am only interested in using it for long road trips, not on a daily basis. So I asked if it is something you can sort of turn on and off as needed. The quick answer was NO. I told them I didn't mind paying for the whole month to turn in on for a weeks worth of use, but they still said NO.

I guess if they will do a month to month service, you could just sign up, then cancel, then sign up....etc?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I may have misunderstood what I was reading but it looks like they may have a prepaid plan for $10 a month? Have to go back and look at in again when I have more time....
Would 1 GB even be enough to be useful? Maybe .....I don’t know much about data usage.....or this tech stuff......

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
AT&T has a page for the Subaru starlink wifi. Take what you can from it. Seems like a month to month contract with auto-renewal at the end of 30 days.

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/subaru.html
Thanks for the link. Reading over the terms, it is a 30-day prepaid "unlimited" (22GB @ LTE speeds then throttled afterwards) plan for $20, and auto-renews unless you cancel before the 30 days is up. In a way, you pay for the plan for 30 days, and then cancel 10 days before the 30 day cycle is up, and the service terminates after 30 days. You then can use the "Existing Customer" link and start up again when needed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I may have misunderstood what I was reading but it looks like they may have a prepaid plan for $10 a month? Have to go back and look at in again when I have more time....
Would 1 GB even be enough to be useful? Maybe .....I don’t know much about data usage.....or this tech stuff......
I couldn't find a list of plans but if you found one for $10 for 1GB per month, I would recommend spending the extra $10 and buy the $20 for unlimited GB per month.

1GB of data for an entire month is not much at all, especially if you have any kids or teenagers in and connected to the vehicle. You would eat through your 1GB in no time flat. Streaming TV shows and movies are your biggest concern. Emails and general web browsing won't do much damage but who doesn't get sucked into the world of YouTube while on a road trip? I sure do. And streaming music could start to add up too.

And if you go over that 1GB data limit, guess what, AT&T will want more of your cash. Last I checked it was another $10 for another 1GB (based on cell phone plan). You might as well just pony up for the unlimited plan.

But remember, if you have an iPhone (pretty sure Android can do it too) you can just simply turn on your cell phone's hotspot and use your cellular data that you are already paying for. You wouldn't want to pay for redundant/unnecessary data. Just make sure you don't go over your usual monthly cell data limit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just researching this. Trying to see why I would want this. I have Verizon for my phone which has better coverage anyway. I rarely go over 22GB so that's not a big deal. You can get these hot spots the size of a hockey puck that do the same thing. Now we have these modems in work vehicles but that's work. And I do not have 7 people in the car with ipads. And if I did I would just have them tether to my phone.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just researching this. Trying to see why I would want this. I have Verizon for my phone which has better coverage anyway. I rarely go over 22GB so that's not a big deal. You can get these hot spots the size of a hockey puck that do the same thing. Now we have these modems in work vehicles but that's work. And I do not have 7 people in the car with ipads. And if I did I would just have them tether to my phone.
I was thinking of doing the same, just hotspotting from my phone and being done with it, but realistically, It's just me and the Wife and our son (15 months old), and if we need data for a movie, we'd hotspot it from our phones.

IF we were doing a real good road trip I may do the subscription to AT&T for a month, and drop it after the trip

Reactions: lazydaze$$

·
Registered
7 Posts
My free trial ran out so I purchased more data. The choice was $20 for customers with an account and $25 prepaid. Did there use to be a $20 prepaid option?

·
Registered
334 Posts
My free trial ran out so I purchased more data. The choice was $20 for customers with an account and $25 prepaid. Did there use to be a $20 prepaid option?

I'm paying $20 monthly. I don't have AT&T for my regular cell so went that route. I may cancel but I do like the larger car antenna as I travel thru areas with sometimes spotty service.

·
Registered
672 Posts
activated free trial right now , but speed is not good only get 3-5 Mbps.. Using hotspot from IPhone i get 30-60 Mbps in same spot, its like 10X faster

·
Registered
334 Posts
activated free trial right now , but speed is not good only get 3-5 Mbps.. Using hotspot from IPhone i get 30-60 Mbps in same spot, its like 10X faster
Are both AT&T?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are we required to purchase and maintain Subaru Starlink service in order to use this AT&T wifi? I have both right now and wondering if the wifi would keep working after Starlink service expires. The wifi is really great, AT&T data service is a good signal just about anywhere I go, I highly recommend it. Subaru Starlink not so much.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,488 Posts
Starlink subscriptions are completely separate from ATT Hot Spot subscriptions. They both happen to use the same radio and network...ATT Wireless...but you pay Subaru for one and ATT for the other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts