Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of threads where dedicated RV rearview/backup cameras have been used but these cameras are way more expensive than warranted for my limited purpose. I'd like to use a cheap outdoor security cam that could display through my phone, a spare dash mounted phone or perhaps the Ascent's infotainment screen.

The cam doesn't need to be waterproof and it can be battery powered or plugged into the boat's accessory outlet. This would only be used for the short drive to our ramp and launching when I'm solo.

Can the Ascent's WiFi hotspot be used like a router? Specifically, can the camera be seen by the phone if they are both connected to the Ascent's WiFi (LAN connection only)? I don't subscribe or plan to subscribe to the AT&T cellular for the Ascent.

I know I could do this with just my phone and a cheap Wyse cam using my phone as a hotspot for the camera, but I suspect that the WiFi won't reach with the phone and camera about 40+' apart. I'm expecting that the Ascent's WiFi signal would be stronger.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm fairly certain what you are asking for wont work with the Ascent's wifi hotspot, it is meant to service inside the vehicle I wouldn't expect the signal to reach out that far at all. The cell receiver in the Ascent is probably much more powerful than your cell phone, but the range on the Wifi won't be much. Best to get a portable camera that uses wifi and hook it up to your boats power supply or the trailer wiring. For the cost a wireless camera system would be the best bet. I paid $150 for mine and the range is at least 40 feet, including through our trailer and the Ascent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.