Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Must the Ascent be connected to WiFi to get its automatic software updates?

2. Does anyone who purchases an Ascent get the WiFi hotspot feature, or does it require the STARLINK subscription?

3. Are there additional usage charges associated with the hotspot feature?

4. Can the Ascent connect to its own WiFi hotspot?

·
Registered
334 Posts
1. I believe so.
2. WiFi hotspot is thru AT&T. I don't think it has anything to do with Starlink.

3. AT&T charges $20 a month for unlimited data (or close). If you already have an AT&T account, you might get it for less.
4. Haven't tried that one - although I think I saw it listed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was able to check for updates using my phone parked in the driveway which was using my home wifi. I have not been able to get the Ascent to hook up with my wifi even though it sees it.

Reactions: DAC

·
Registered
253 Posts
Leon - What do you mean by "head unit"? And was that using your cell phone? If using cellphone - was it part of the AT&T hotspot?
Head unit refers to the 'stereo'. The infotainment system as a whole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It was as simple as connecting head unit to my home’s WiFi and selecting checking for update.

There was no updates available nor were map updates available.

My Touring connected to my home WiFi really easily. Was able to get map updates (though they did not help with Nav's issues). Did not try to get other software updates which I guess you are also referring to.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can you explain how you got that to work? I haven't had any success checking for updates.
I had auto updates on in settings, connected my phone while it was using my wifi with data off on the phone. It updated automatically.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After my initial problems, I found success by deleting my home WiFi connection, then re-adding it.

Now I have the issue of a pop-up that says, “Your device's software is up to date” way too often. It’ll say it when I start engine away from home, and therefore not connected to WiFi. If anyone has any tips for removing that issue, please share. (Maybe disabling automatic update checks will help, but that leaves me with remembering to check for updates routinely.)

·
Registered
932 Posts
After my initial problems, I found success by deleting my home WiFi connection, then re-adding it.

Now I have the issue of a pop-up that says, “Your device's software is up to date” way too often. It’ll say it when I start engine away from home, and therefore not connected to WiFi. If anyone has any tips for removing that issue, please share. (Maybe disabling automatic update checks will help, but that leaves me with remembering to check for updates routinely.)
If it's bothering you every time you start the car, I'd suggest doing something like disabling it, and then checking it monthly or so. Make a reminder on your phone.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Try going to settings and turn off auto updates, then update only when you want to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Resurrecting this thread after a period of inactivity...

I just signed up for the promotional period of 30 days for the 1GB of WiFi Hotspot Data, but I'm not sure how to actually find and connect to it. Can anyone provide any direction?

·
Registered
11 Posts

2. Does anyone who purchases an Ascent get the WiFi hotspot feature, or does it require the STARLINK subscription?

3. Are there additional usage charges associated with the hotspot feature?

4. Can the Ascent connect to its own WiFi hotspot?
if you don't have the subaru wifi (at&t) service you may connect your phone as a hotspot and download the update, but it takes a long time.

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
if you don't have the subaru wifi (at&t) service you may connect your phone as a hotspot and download the update, but it takes a long time.
That is only for maps updates, and does not download firmware updates.

• People with Navigation head units need to either ask a dealership to install firmware updates or use a USB stick and the app at https://subaru-maps.com/
  • People without Navigation must ask a dealership to do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.