Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was sold on the new Chevy traverse until we looked at an ascent and she loved them. I love the look of the ascent but I’m a little skeptical about her getting one because I know nothing about Subaru I’ve only owned ford and Chevy. I’ve noticed from looking around on this forum that it seems like quite a few people are having fairly serious issues with the ascent. So I’m a little worried about the longevity of these vehicles. Another concern I have is will it be difficult to find someone to service the vehicle in a rural area and are they more expensive to have worked on compared to say the Chevy?

If anyone could shed light on this for us we would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Overall the Ascent is a a high quality vehicle with relatively few problems, but some problems do exist. However, internet forums tend to dramatically amplify these problems, because most people come on forums to ask for help and/or complain about a problem -- very few people come to the forums just to say "Hey, my Ascent is working perfectly!".

I have a 2019 Ascent and love it. My other vehicle is a 2019 Honda Odyssey. If you read the Honda Odyssey forum, you will see similar complaints about it (failed transmissions, sticking power components, etc.). By reading the forums, you would think the Odyssey is an awful, unreliable vehicle. It's not. I haven't had a bit of trouble with either of these vehicles in terms of reliability or mechanical trouble, they have both been flawless.

Regarding your last point about service, I am 1.5 hours away from the nearest Subaru dealer, but we have a local independent shop with several employees who are Subaru enthusiasts. They did a great job servicing my old Impreza and Outback for years. And it always cost way less than I expected. But it was a great shop with great people... I guess I am lucky to have them nearby. I still plan to take my Ascent to the dealer for service for the first couple years, but after that I'll probably use my local shop again.

The big selling point of the Ascent, at least to me, is safety. It has top-notch ratings in IIHS crash testing, and its AWD system is beyond compare for safety in adverse weather conditions (not all AWD systems are created equal, something that many people don't realize).

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
My wife was sold on the new Chevy traverse until we looked at an ascent and she loved them. I love the look of the ascent but I’m a little skeptical about her getting one because I know nothing about Subaru I’ve only owned ford and Chevy. I’ve noticed from looking around on this forum that it seems like quite a few people are having fairly serious issues with the ascent. So I’m a little worried about the longevity of these vehicles. Another concern I have is will it be difficult to find someone to service the vehicle in a rural area and are they more expensive to have worked on compared to say the Chevy?

I have an Ascent Limited that I took possession of in late February (my first Subaru). It is coming up on 6000 miles and I have had zero problems with it. This doesn't discount the problems others experience but sometimes it is the build date and of course each model will have some percentage of individual vehicle issues. In addition sometimes the suppliers of parts have their quality issues that any manufacturer will ultimately have to address. I have been thrilled with the vehicle and hope that my good fortune continues. It is comforting to know that based on most of the postings that Subaru has a good reputation to take care of issues as they arise.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
The majority of people have little issues with their vehicles, regardless of brand. There is always risk with anything you buy, whether it's a Subaru, Ford, Chevy, whatever. And as was mentioned, if one went purely by Internet forums, EVERY vehicle is the worst thing ever! Dissatisfied people scream louder than those who are happy and busy out driving with a smile on their face. Ascent is top rated in almost everything including safety. Subaru is is also very well respected...which is why you see so many repeat customers and owners who keep them for many years. You absolutely should test drive both the Traverse and the Ascent, but I'm guessing that your better half will continue to prefer the Ascent when it's all done and over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back in December 2018, our 2017 Lexus RX350 lease end was approaching, so we started researching mid-size SUVs to replace it. We intended to look at the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9 and the BMW X5. Heavily influenced by the high recommendation of Consumer Reports, we went to the Subaru dealer first to check out the Ascent- a vehicle we truthfully did not know existed prior to reading the CR article. At the completion of the test drive, my wife decided that she wanted the Ascent and wasn’t even interested in looking at the other vehicles on our shopping list, so we traded the Lexus in on it. Fast forward to today, the Ascent just rolled up 6,000 miles and we have had no problems of any kind with it... honestly, we both love the Subaru and like it much better than the Lexus in every way but one- we did feel the Lexus was a nicer looking vehicle (although many hate the RX350 design). So, 6 months and 6,000 miles in on a new Subaru family, we highly recommend the Ascent without reservation and fully intend to replace this one with another Ascent in another year or two!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts

Person01, totally agree with previous comments that you can get a biased view when you read complaints about any particular vehicle.

We have been driving Subarus since 1985 and just got our eighth Subaru (a 2019 Ascent Limited) in April. You can't beat Subaru for safety, reliability re-sale value, and the Subaru superb All-Wheel-Drive capability. We love our new Ascent.

Good luck with your new car decision.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Hey, my Ascent is working perfectly" There, I said it, or wrote it. Actually, it is true. 7K miles and so far no issues whatsoever other than learning how to operate all the features. Like you, we are lifetime Ford/GM drivers. We came out of a 17 Acadia which was very nice but the wife wanted a 7 passenger instead of the 6 in the Acadia. She drove the Ascent first and said that's it, I want it. We don't tend to keep our vehicles more than 5 years but we did get the 7 year, 100k no deductible warranty.

We bought our Touring out of state and our closest dealer is about 45 miles away. I did take it to them for its first service. They treated me like I was their best customer. The service manager told me he didn't care where I bought it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
20,000 miles on mine with at least 1500 of that towing 3,500 - 4,500 lbs :D

Go see one and try it. Sometimes a car grabs you and sometimes it just doesn't do it. Many people are "coming down" from the luxury brands as the Ascent is "good enough" :D

I love my Ascent and am on my 5th Subaru.

Reactions: carlover01

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Chevy sold 3M cars in US in 2018 while Subaru sold only 700K. Based on the statistics, I believe you'll find a lot more service stations for Chevy than Subaru. However, finding a competent mechanic can be very difficult. When you find a competent mechanic that works on modern cars, he shouldn't have a problem working on the Subaru.

If you like to work with dealerships, how far (miles) is the nearest Subaru dealer?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I believe you'll find a lot more service stations for Chevy than Subaru.
It depends on where you live. Here in the Pac Northwest every other car is a Subie, so knowledgeable mechanics are relatively easy to find.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've had plenty of annoyances and problems (check any number of my posts) with my Ascent touring in 6 months. I joke that I must have gotten a Friday afternoon build... ...More than any other car I've owned, new or used.... it's just the luck of the draw. Other people have had zero problems...

However none of them have stranded me. Although the long cranking times, an the occasional very rough idle, under cold conditions will re-concern me once winter comes back around again.

Really, with the exception of some FCA cars, everything is pretty reliable nowadays.I don't think you'd be making a bad decision in terms of reliability with either brand. The Chevy has noticeably more room, and you'll likely never be more than a half hour away from a dealership should something ever happen. And I have to give Chevy credit, it doesn't handle like a lumbering beast, like some of the bigger SUV's out there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I thought for sure we'd be looking at Lexus, BMW, and a few others when I took the wife out to test drive the Ascent. After the drive, she didn't want to look at any other vehicle. The Ascent is our 3rd Subaru. We had a 1995 Legacy that never left us stranded and we just donated it about a year ago. Our 2007 Legacy is still going strong and people ask what year it is because it still looks new. It too has been very reliable and is a daily driver for our son. We already knew about the reliability, safety and AWD capabilities of Subarus, so it wasn't hard for us to justify buying the Ascent. We bought our 2019 Touring in Sep and have 8200 care free miles so far. We love the safety features and the amazing technology that Subaru built into this vehicle.
The mid-sized SUV market is huge, crowded group and growing all the time. It's not an easy choice, but all that matters is that when the choice is made, that you and the wife are happy with your decision. After all, you're the ones that have to make the car payments. ?

Reactions: thegeeknme

·
Registered
1 Posts

We had a 2010 Legacy and recently traded it for a new Ascent. We love this car. My wife is so happy now my life is good. I’m not worried about the new model year as I hope Subaru will stand behind it.

·
Registered
7 Posts

In February I purchased a Ascent Premium and have not had any issues with it, I just returned from a 2,200 mile trip towing my 19' 4,000 lb Travel Trailer, and the Ascent performed better than expected, so much power! This is my 3rd Subaru, we also have a 2015 Outback and have not had any issues with any of them. I love the Ascent, best car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Working perfectly here, with around 13,000 miles, including a lot of dirt road. Fit and finish isn't as nice as the Platinum Ford Explorer we traded in on it, but it was $10,000 less and the Subaru blows it away on safety. I can't say enough about the AWD system and X-Mode. We're planning on another when the lease is up and just got a 2019 Crosstrek in addition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There aren't a lot of choices in this segment that met our wants.
  • 7 passenger
  • 2nd row captains chairs
  • Car Play
You would think there would be more out there but a lot of the 3-row vehicles only seat 6. Having said that, this is the first new vehicle I have ever owned where I felt the need to check owners' forums for little annoyances we seem to have. The dealer we go to has been sloppy and shady AF - trying out a new one soon as they fix our last issue - the sunglass holder gets stuck so they ordered a replacement.

I have never owned a Subaru before, but we looked forward to it and we want to love this thing, but for a nearly 50k vehicle (we got just about every damn option available), it is underwhelming. Last time we were at the dealer they updated the software on the infotrainment unit and they claimed to tweak the transmission as well. Time will tell on the transmission, a lot of the infotrainment issues seem to have been resolved, except now the Map doesn't auto adjust to night-mode anymore. Nothing like driving in the dark and bringing up the Map at full brightness day-mode. For now we just have it set to night-mode all the time.

Transmission seems to have smoothed out as it has been broken in but I am comforted knowing that we got the extended warranty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too narrowed my search down to the Travers and the Ascent. If you follow reviews/peoples comments you will find the Traverse has WAY more transmission issues than the Ascent. Like most people said here all cars have issues so you cant really compare that. You need to get the car your wife loves and even if there is a problem it wont matter because she loves the car. I went Ascent because I had two Subaru Outbacks prior so my opinion is swayed a bit. I did research all vehicles in this class and the Traverse and Ascent both hit my needs (actually the Traverse had a few more options that I liked over the Ascent. 6k miles on my Ascent with no issues. Taking it in today for its first oil change. I LOVE MY CAR. I would be sad if it had issues but I buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i don't have an ascent but maybe 2021
we got our first subaru a 2015 outback limited with 52k miles nothing nothing nothing wrong just change the oil each 6k miles love lt love it---was first going to get a honda crv for my wife to roll over to my daughter in 3 years well when we test drove the 2015 crv there was a course shake at all speeds....well long story short my wife told me to pull over to the dealer and i suggested subaru because of the awd and eyesight which got accolades. she first drove the forester then she got in the outback fell in love drove for 3 years and we gave to our daughter of 16 who has been driving it to school and around for the last 18 months, she will take to college this fall... safety safety safety

loved the outback soooooo much bought my wife the forester touring which is holy cow wonderful (white with saddle brown interior) this will be rolled over to my 15 yr old daughter when she drives

we are a subaru family now, just love them and the awd system is second only to the audi quatro

i do own a 2011 odyssey with 97k miles first repair at 97k an alternator just scheduled maintenance

so glad we purchased subaru. zero problems

looking 2021 for a hybrid maybe

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Wife and I just took the Ascent in for the 12,000 mile service. We love the car. It has been rock solid.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised by what you are getting for the money in an Ascent. I would definitely say go test drive one. It all boils down to personal preference. But I think the Subaru might surprise you.

·
Registered
919 Posts
... except now the Map doesn't auto adjust to night-mode anymore. Nothing like driving in the dark and bringing up the Map at full brightness day-mode. For now we just have it set to night-mode all the time.
Check the setting on your interior lighting. If that knob got turned all they way past the "click" to full brightness, then the auto adjustment of the map gets turned off. I had that problem and as soon as I put the brightness just below the click, my map went into night mode :D

Hopefully it's that simple for you too.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 23 Posts