Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting an Ascent, but living in a big city, my garage is only 84" wide. I read that the Ascent is 76 wide (without mirrors) and about 86" with mirrors (I assume this measurement is made while the mirrors are fully open). Does anyone know how wide the car is with the mirrors folded? I would love to get the car but am worried about making it into the garage. Thanks a lot!

- silentsilent

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think they meant power folding.

The Ascent does have manually folding side mirrors.
No, I am stupid and meant "no folding mirrors". I was thinking power folding mirrors when I wrote it, but I honestly never tried to fold the mirrors on mine. Funny, I could not find anything about folding the mirrors in the owners manual (I searched the PDF for the word "fold" and "mirror") at all.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It's possible it could be a feature that is just so commonplace that it's "expected" ... my 2011 Outback has them. My 2009 Legacy had them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not true. I manually fold in my driver's side mirror each evening when I get out as I park on the street and have seen a number of mirrors hit and damaged in my neighborhood.
Thanks a lot for the info! When they fold, are they still sticking out very much from the body of the car? Wondering how many inches you save.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 2020 Ascent does have automatic folding side mirrors, but my wife and I bought the 2019 because the difference in price would have been about $4,000–$5,000. My preference is the tuck/fold the mirrors in before entering the garage; my wife insists on not doing that (23 years of marriage and counting).

I have been able to park the Ascent in our garage more easily because I activate the forward camera and then line up the red dotted lines with the edges of the garage doors. From the driver's seat, it sure doesn't look like there's enough room, but there is. Haven't nicked the mirrors yet. I am not sure what the width of my garage door openings are but I will try to measure them sometime.

I believe the Ascent's body is 76" wide but I assume that measurement does not include the mirrors.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
The 2020 Ascent does have automatic folding side mirrors...
Not quite, but close. ;)

The 2020 Ascent Touring has manually initiated power folding mirrors. One must press the button on the driver's door (it's the blank area in front of the mirror adjustment knob). The mirrors are not automatic though, and they do not come on any other trim level at this time (or at all on the 2019, as you noted).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not quite, but close. ;)

The 2020 Ascent Touring has manually initiated power folding mirrors. One must press the button on the driver's door (it's the blank area in front of the mirror adjustment knob). The mirrors are not automatic though, and they do not come on any other trim level at this time (or at all on the 2019, as you noted).
Subaru calls them "power-folding side mirrors," so let's agree to call them by that name.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Subaru calls them "power-folding side mirrors," so let's agree to call them by that name.
I am not sure what you are saying. My comment had nothing to do with what Subaru calls them.
My singular point, so we do not have people buying a Limited, Premium or Base and expecting power mirrors, is that this is incorrect, for the reasons I stated earlier:
  • "The 2020 Ascent does have automatic folding side mirrors..."
There's nothing automatic about them, and only the Touring trim has them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Robert,

When I said "automatic folding mirrors," I was referring to what Subaru calls "power-folding side mirrors." You're correct that the power mirrors aren't truly "automatic" in the strict sense of the word. For them to be fullly "automatic," they would have to work independent of the user doing anything.

However, coming from mirrors you have to fold manually, in my mind they would be more automatic than the non-powered ones. That's why I used the word automatic in the relative sense. A motor is folding the mirrors at the user's command.

For example, if my garage doors require me to press a button on a remote to make them go up or down, then by your definition they are not "automatic" because they don't do it all by themselves—but in colloquial language that's often what we refer to as "automatic." Use the term automatic garage-door opener and that's what most people think of.

I wonder if there is a difference between something being automatic and being automated and whether we could say that there are degrees of automaticity and automation.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I wonder if there is a difference between something being automatic and being automated and whether we could say that there are degrees of automaticity and automation.
LOL!!!

On that topic, someone posted an automation device for automating our semi-automatic power folding side mirrors to grant them full automaticity. :ROFLMAO:

If they're not fully automatic by the time I am ready for my next Ascent (which will be sooner than most, with how quickly I put miles on my car), and they're not yet fully automated, I might consider trying it.

I am also considering seeing what it would take to integrate the 2020 Touring mirrors on my 2019 Ascent Touring... hmmm....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also considering seeing what it would take to integrate the 2020 Touring mirrors on my 2019 Ascent Touring... hmmm....
My wife and I were wondering exactly the same thing: Could the 2019 Ascent Touring be retrofitted with the power-folding side mirrors found on the 2020 Ascent Touring? I would love to get an answer to that question—and how much it would cost.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
My wife and I were wondering exactly the same thing: Could the 2019 Ascent Touring be retrofitted with the power-folding side mirrors found on the 2020 Ascent Touring? I would love to get an answer to that question—and how much it would cost.
I'm hoping it's not controlled via the infotainment system. If it isn't, then it may be possible. If I get my hands on a 2020 Touring to test, I will check. I've only managed to see Limiteds and Premiums so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a tight garage door situation so my wife wanted to wait for a 2020 Touring, which we took delivery of two days ago. As best as we can measure, the width with power folding mirrors extended is 86 1/4", when folded 77 1/4". That really makes a difference and the wait was well worth the peace of mind knowing that we are probably not going to take out the garage door frame. They operate by a simple push button and so I doubt that the info system is involved. The Ascent is a pretty wide vehicle-I think Subaru would benefit by offering them on other trim lines as well.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I moved my driveway fence post to accommodate the Ascent. It fit through without the move, but I did not want an accident during the winter months with snow/ice on the ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.