Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I’m looking for a little wider of a tire but I like the stock 20 inch wheels. I know they have a 7.5 inch width, so I was wondering if it could take a tad wider tire without rubbing.
Was looking at falken wildpeak but in a 255/50 R20

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think diameter would matter a bit more than width, within reason, as I think the rubbing happens on the outer edge of the wheel well. Plugging those is at Tire Size Comparison that is .4" more for both width and diameter.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
255s should work but 265s start to get tight, although I think some folks have tried them. Diameter matters, so the aspect ratio has to be factored in, too. Keep in mind that if you go to a larger diameter tire, you also have to do the same for your spare on and AWD vehicle and your speedo/odo will not be accurate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I think I’m going to wear out these stock tires, not a fan of them, and will get a little wider all terrain tires on the stock 20 inch wheels. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can the stock 20 inch wheel handle a 255/50 R20? Or do you think it won’t really matter and replace it with a standard 245

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
Should be no problem for the 255/50R20 other than also needing to change the space to match the diameter.

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
That should read "Spare" tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The wider tire may increase your rolling resistance and decrease your fuel mileage , I tried a more aggressive tire on my Forester and experienced this , the CVT would not drop down to a tall ratio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts