Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm approaching 18k on the oem (245/50R20) touring tires, I'm looking into wider tires. Has anyone put a wider tire on yet? and how wide? I saw a forum that states a 265/45R20 would fit but I'm skeptical.Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better handling for sure. We have some nice twisty roads here in north Georgia and I feel that the OEM's understeer a bit too much for my liking. Also, I'm going looking into stiffening up the suspension down the road as well.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
What size rims do you have, and what pressure are your tires at?

I suspect that you may find wider tires don't improve all of the handling characteristics you want to improve. A number of people argue over whether wider tires improve or worsen understeer, but, I suspect that at the same rim size, with the added pressure you will need, you'll lose any potential benefits.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discount Tire says 255/50R20s would fit. Read somewhere 265s would rub unless lifted.

Wider tires will not reduce understeer.

You could use a lower pressure in your front tires (with the added increase in tire wear)

You could use a softer compound tire in the front.

But really, the understeer is built into the car for safety. The further you push towards oversteer, the more chance of the rear end breaking loose (much more dangerous ==> spinning).

For a safe bet, just get better quality tires overall and you'll get more cornering grip without reducing the safety of the car.

A summer tire will give tons of grip (in summer of course) but with less tire life.

Something like these:
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx/p/27450 - this one is all season but still with good grip. I would have bought these, if I didn't get the AT Nitto Ridge Grappler

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size rims do you have, and what pressure are your tires at?

I suspect that you may find wider tires don't improve all of the handling characteristics you want to improve. A number of people argue over whether wider tires improve or worsen understeer, but, I suspect that at the same rim size, with the added pressure you will need, you'll lose any potential benefits.
OEM's for now. I run 35 psi to give it bite. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Discount Tire says 255/50R20s would fit. Read somewhere 265s would rub unless lifted.

Wider tires will not reduce understeer.

You could use a lower pressure in your front tires (with the added increase in tire wear)

You could use a softer compound tire in the front.

But really, the understeer is built into the car for safety. The further you push towards oversteer, the more chance of the rear end breaking loose (much more dangerous ==> spinning).

For a safe bet, just get better quality tires overall and you'll get more cornering grip without reducing the safety of the car.

A summer tire will give tons of grip (in summer of course) but with less tire life.

Something like these:
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx/p/27450 - this one is all season but still with good grip. I would have bought these, if I didn't get the AT Nitto Ridge Grappler
Good intel. Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.