Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the purpose of that? Does it make the car look more luxurious?

But it's fake, it just tells people you're trying to be luxury but can't afford it and have to fake it.

Either use genuine wood or don't put anything at all is even better :rolleyes:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I completely Agree. Subaru, fortunately has been doing this since 2000. I am lucky enough to have sport models which have matte silver and black materials. One model is a full limited with all the leather and every option. Just no fake wood. But all the H6 at my trim levels got fake wood wheels and accents.

:confused:

I have been driving cars since 1984 legally. Real wood steering wheels on say a '67 Mustang or a Pecan Burl Dash on an old Austin, that makes sense. Real wood (like you said) on a modern Euro car vs this ... fake-plastic. Rolls, Bentley and the like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely Agree. Subaru, fortunately has been doing this since 2000. I am lucky enough to have sport models which have matte silver and black materials. One model is a full limited with all the leather and every option. Just no fake wood. But all the H6 at my trim levels got fake wood wheels and accents.

:confused:

I have been driving cars since 1984 legally. Real wood steering wheels on say a '67 Mustang or a Pecan Burl Dash on an old Austin, that makes sense. Real wood (like you said) on a modern Euro car vs this ... fake-plastic. Rolls, Bentley and the like.
It looks like this brand's design department is still run by some old fart heads with inspirations from 30 years ago.

No wonder I often hear people saying Subaru's designs are uninspiring, boring, blend and even ugly.

If they can't design nicer looking cars, why don't they hire former good designers from other makes. Hyundai and Kia learned their lessons, and see what kind of designs they have today versus the past.

·
Registered
583 Posts

But it's fake, it just tells people you're trying to be luxury but can't afford it and have to fake it.

Seems like a person should get more/better choices on the top of the line model than plastic wood and one color of leather seats....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like a person should get more/better choices on the top of the line model than plastic wood and one color of leather seats....
there are so many types of materials to use these days other than fake wood. Take a look at the new Volvo XC40 for instance, see how they dressed up the interior with panels that have stylish patterns and color combinations, nothing to stimulate.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I kinda like it....subdued and yet tastefully contrasting...and never felt like I was telling anyone that I couldn’t afford real wood. Gosh, maybe I should re-evaluate this situation and start asking my friends if they think I am trying to be a fake rick guy?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Honda puts high gloss piano black in some of their vehicles. Now, it looks nice, but scratches so easy. I personally like the look of the carbon fiber in my son's WRX. Just enough detail to make it look good but not offensive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with you, coming from all luxury cars in the past I can certainly tell the difference... But to be honest most people that get in to your car won't be able to tell and will just think its real wood.

·
Registered
304 Posts
there are so many types of materials to use these days other than fake wood. Take a look at the new Volvo XC40 for instance, see how they dressed up the interior with panels that have stylish patterns and color combinations, nothing to stimulate.
The difference here is the XC40 is about the same segment as the crosstrek, which can be had for nearly half the cost of an XC40, or a loaded limited crosstrek for almost $10k less than the cost of entry for an XC40. I sell both Volvo and Subaru and we occasionally get cross-shopped. Subaru could absolutely do something like the XC40 with a crosstrek, and the cost would go up well into the 40s for a loaded model. Its like comparing the XC90 to the Ascent. Yes, the XC90 is more refined, but you can have a loaded Touring Ascent for the same price as a stripped down XC90 Momentum (and the ascent is -STILL- quieter than the XC90)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fake wood trim coupled with the tan leather seats was a deal breaker for us on the Premium, fortunately the Limited has enough bells and whistles to cover almost everything I wanted anyhow. Still can't believe that for the extra $3,000 (CAD) they wouldn't give you a choice on the seats. As previously mentioned, it seems the design team for the Ascent might be a bit on the stodgy side.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

It's for appearance and potentially longevity (synthetic material tends to be more stable than natural). Get this - your leather seats are mostly fake leather!!! If you should be critical about the material selection, the leather has to be the top priority because we use it every day.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Imitation wood and wood veneers are more common than real solid wood in many applications these days, so it's not unusual.

I feel the use of wood, real or imitation, in an SUV is misplaced. It would be more at home in a luxury car, but I guess that's the feel Subaru was going for with the Touring. That and the brown leather was just too much for me, but tastes differ and I can understand that some people may like it.

I just wish Subaru would have offered the same extra tech options in the Limited so those of us who didn't like the Touring's decor could still enjoy the extra cameras and rain sensing wipers. I'm still quite displeased about that.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
US vs Canadian trim designations

The fake wood trim coupled with the tan leather seats was a deal breaker for us on the Premium, fortunately the Limited has enough bells and whistles to cover almost everything I wanted anyhow. Still can't believe that for the extra $3,000 (CAD) they wouldn't give you a choice on the seats. As previously mentioned, it seems the design team for the Ascent might be a bit on the stodgy side.
For those following along from the U.S., Scott is talking about the Canadian equivalent of the US Touring.

Confusing as it is, here's the cross-reference:

US Base ⟷ Canada Convenience
US Premium ⟷ Canada Touring
US Limited ⟷ Canada Limited
US Touring ⟷ Canada Premier (aka "Premium" in some translations)

·
Registered
266 Posts
That and the brown leather was just too much for me, but tastes differ and I can understand that some people may like it.

I just wish Subaru would have offered the same extra tech options in the Limited so those of us who didn't like the Touring's decor could still enjoy the extra cameras and rain sensing wipers. I'm still quite displeased about that.

I agree. Ordered a Limited just because I didn't want the brown leather (I got the pearl white w/ivory leather), but would've gladly paid for the other things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We love the wood trim and the other day while at the dealer we looked into an Ascent without the wood and found it to be dull and boring. Tan seats are to prissy and black too dark. The cream trim parts look awful in black interiors but quite nice with the wood and brown leather of the Touring. We like the upscale look of the Touring. But we do not like the faux carpet and would like an option for a better quality flooring.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The rosewood or whatever it is called and the brown leather reminded of something out of the 70’s......not 2019......But people like what they like.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts