Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just watched a video explaining the X-Mode in depth last night. They were using the new Forester and I was wondering the same thing. My wife reminded me that when we questioned the dealer about the Ascent mirrors NOT having position memory associated with the seat profiles, we were told "they're trying it out on the Forester...".

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Conceptually, I believe the X-Mode for Forester and Ascent is exactly the same, no hardware/equipment changes (besides the switch/control). You can manipulate the traction and lane departure features, turning on or off, to make it equivalent to "dual X-Mode". It's just an icing on a cake that already have icing, so-to-speak.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Ok. I was talking to an engineer after seeing this video.

And I was told this.

The forester is a cheaper car, so to keep the cost down they added the switch to let the driver figure out what to do when the car stops working. In the past, the forester would hit a point where no wheels will grip and it would just sit there reving at high rpm with out any wheels moving. The switch just allows the wheels to spinning.
Which can be seen here. Notice the car not allowing for wheel spin. I know he had to really push it.

The ascent being a more expensive vehicle they added more sensors and computers to help it figure out what is going on and if it gets to the point where it start to "give up" a computer puts it into the other modes. The computer does it for it for you was the final answer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I truly believe it is just a switch and the Ascent is superior in the fashion which it determines the correct program for the needs.

I also would guess that the Ascent turbo engine has much more computerized decisions made and does not require a toggle switch.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why does the 2019 Forester have the newer, enhanced or dual mode, X-mode, while the 2019 flagship Ascent does not? Any ideas?
The Sport and Touring Model Forester are the only ones that have paddle shifters. The base, premium, and Limited do NOT. The Ascent DOES have paddle shifters in all trim levels.

I've taken an Outback, Crosstrek, Ascent, and Forester through various depths of thick Oklahoma red clay mud. They all handle it fine. I would note that with the low end torque that the Ascent is able to produce, if you put it in manual mode and are going through mud in 'first' gear, it slings the heck out of it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The Sport and Touring Model Forester are the only ones that have paddle shifters. The base, premium, and Limited do NOT. The Ascent DOES have paddle shifters in all trim levels."

What does this have to do with the original question, which was "Why does the 2019 Forester have the newer, enhanced or dual mode, X-mode, while the 2019 flagship Ascent does not?

·
Registered
73 Posts
As outlined in another post, I used the X-Mode to avoid getting stuck in deep mud. It was definitely letting the wheels spin some getting us back up a hill that I thought we had no chance of successfully climbing. This may support the idea that the X-Mode in the Ascent is capable of doing on its own what the switch enables on the Forester.

·
Registered
418 Posts
"The Sport and Touring Model Forester are the only ones that have paddle shifters. The base, premium, and Limited do NOT. The Ascent DOES have paddle shifters in all trim levels."

What does this have to do with the original question, which was "Why does the 2019 Forester have the newer, enhanced or dual mode, X-mode, while the 2019 flagship Ascent does not?

My guess is that the point was the paddle shifters give an Ascent driver a lot more control over what the car is doing than certain trim level Foresters are able to give, so the dual mode x-mode may be needed by the Foresters to offset that disadvantage in certain situations.

My completely unfounded and baseless speculation on the x-mode thing is that the other Subaru models are poaching sales from the Foresters so Subaru is trying to provide motivation for buyers to consider the Foresters when making buying choices.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just wish the sport had the turbo, I would upgrade my 2015 w/only 23k miles in a heartbeat. But I am keeping it, I like the power and speed when needed. Regarding X-Mode some of the videos I have watched on YouTube show it just turns traction on and off for different situations mud vs snow, my take is the Ascent had much more power and would never really need this where as the new Forester is limited. Maybe they will make a Hybrid sport next year, then I might consider, until then I am loving the value of my car going up. Also in the Forester segment with the new Honda and Rav4 they are all promoting adventure and roof top tents, which are great but the only a small percentage of folks where I live would use this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree that making the turbo available in the Forester would be a good thing, especially given the popularity of the XT. I did read though that in spite of the XT's apparent popularity, the actual percentage sold was too low to warrant continued production.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Put the Ascent in X-mode, slap it into manual mode so you're in 1st gear equivalent, and you don't NEED dual mode X-mode.

Same thing with the Outback.

I've made enough ruts in the field behind our store to know this. Haven't gotten one of them stuck yet. Got yelled at a couple of times by our detailer because of the amount of thick mud I've brought up from back there, though. :tango_face_wink: (Something about my spraying the car off in his bay.)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree that making the turbo available in the Forester would be a good thing, especially given the popularity of the XT. I did read though that in spite of the XT's apparent popularity, the actual percentage sold was too low to warrant continued production.
I think that putting a turbo into a Crosstrek is a far better idea. It's all anecdotal, but both the forum members over at the Crosstrek forum, and the sales team at my dealership, talk about there being lots of voices calling for a turbo trim level for the Trek. It's small enough to be the perfect rally-crossing platform. They honestly bring to mind old school dune buggies to me, especially when the folks chop their front bumper covers and add tube bumpers on the front end to improve approach angle.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I read an article recently that explained that Subaru doesn't offer more turbos is because they already sell everything they make and don't have the capacity to offer turbo variants of everything. A Crosstrek XT would be a wonderful thing, and I think it should happen even before they make another Forester XT.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I read an article recently that explained that Subaru doesn't offer more turbos is because they already sell everything they make and don't have the capacity to offer turbo variants of everything. A Crosstrek XT would be a wonderful thing, and I think it should happen even before they make another Forester XT.
I think I saw the same article. If it is this article here, then we are referencing the same source. What's encouraging to me is the part of the article that says,

... Doll did leave the door open for an eventual turbo model. "In the future, if we need to hit additional volume targets or if the sales wane a little bit, as a way to try to get additional interest in the car, [we could] offer a higher-performance engine. That's quite possible."

The feller being quoted (for those that can't or don't wanna read the article) is Tom Doll, president of Subaru North America. Wisely, Subaru is obviously not ruling out a future turbo Crosstrek, and that's awesome :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that putting a turbo into a Crosstrek is a far better idea. It's all anecdotal, but both the forum members over at the Crosstrek forum, and the sales team at my dealership, talk about there being lots of voices calling for a turbo trim level for the Trek. It's small enough to be the perfect rally-crossing platform. They honestly bring to mind old school dune buggies to me, especially when the folks chop their front bumper covers and add tube bumpers on the front end to improve approach angle.
I certainly didn't intend to exclude the Crosstrek. Turbos all-around, I say! :grin:

We spoke with an Outback owner just yesterday who mentioned having a Crosstrek loaner, and how he liked it a lot but felt it was seriously under-powered.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think that putting a turbo into a Crosstrek is a far better idea.
That would thus be a lifted hatch WRX / STI.

And there were a lot of upset people when we quit making the hatch WRX / STI.

The biggest impediment to doing a lot of things that would make sense is the physical capacity of our manufacturing plants. There's land to expand in Indiana if we can get a modification to the EPA certificate. Right now the government limits Indiana to 400,000 units per year. In Japan, there's NOT room to expand. (Do a google search for Subaru Ota City Gunma and look at the satellite image.) They are planning to expand at some point - they have to, if we're going to meet our long term goal of 1 million sales per year. They're just a VERY conservative company and will do things gradually.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts