Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Why is the wifi update so dumb?

1027 Views 27 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Titanrx8
Gadget Communication Device Personal computer Audio equipment Font

Clearly is connected to my home network via wifi.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
I've found that using my cell phone as a mobile hotspot allows the process to go much smoother.
It's finicky, for sure. It usually takes me a few aborted efforts before finally working properly.
I’ve tried disconnecting/reconnecting to my network….I’ve only got it to update using the aha radio thing, which is probably the most annoying app ever lol
It's finicky, for sure. It usually takes me a few aborted efforts before finally working properly.
Doesn’t work. I’ve sat there for like 10 minutes retrying.
Doesn’t work. I’ve sat there for like 10 minutes retrying.
I stop after the first failed attempt and try again the next day. It will work...eventually.
I stop after the first failed attempt and try again the next day. It will work...eventually.
Also, I'm not sure if it made a difference, but mine clicked when I turned my Bluetooth off as well.
The engine has to be running.
The engine has to be running.
Seriously? That’s is weird, but I will try it. It has updated over wifi in the past……
Seriously? That’s is weird, but I will try it. It has updated over wifi in the past……
No, it does not need the engine running. You can run it in accessory mode but you have to fight the timer that shut down all the peripheries. Map update can take half hr so it will be interrupted by the timer. Simple system update usually does not take that long and you can easily do it before all get shut down.
Reactions: 2
I've done a wifi update before without the engine running, but with the car on - 2 button presses on the start button without foot on brake pedal. I do not think it will time out in this mode. Just be sure to shut off the HVAC to save some juice.
On our Kia it takes nearly two weeks to complete the OTA update once it starts automatically, but it does install with the vehicle off once it is downloaded onto the vehicle.
On our Kia it takes nearly two weeks to complete the OTA update once it starts automatically, but it does install with the vehicle off once it is downloaded onto the vehicle.
Stuck with the 33.6k modem? Didn't spring for the 56k modem? ;)
  • Haha
Thanks all. Still get the “please connect to a wifi access point…” message when attempting to check for updates. Yes I’m connected to a very solid network
Should I go on the Kia forum and start talking Subaru? Lol
Does the update make any discernible difference?
Does the update make any discernible difference?
I’ll let you know…..if I can ever download/install it.
I’d settle for a “you’re up to date”, even.
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Thanks all. Still get the “please connect to a wifi access point…” message when attempting to check for updates. Yes I’m connected to a very solid network
Have you tried to re-boot the headhunt? Can it connect to your phone if the phone can act as a hotspot? Turn wifi in the car off and back on again? Turn wifi in your house off and then on or re-boot the gateway?
Should I go on the Kia forum and start talking Subaru? Lol
I was merely giving an example of how the update works in another make/model. :D
I use an Access Point I set up outdoors in my workshop near my driveway for updates. The head unit doesn't like low signal (as far as the car thinks of it) for updates, and will complain there's no connection.

To work around that, I temporarily use my phone's hotspot, then remember to remove my phone from the head unit settings (otherwise it will continuously check for updates and pop up notifications).
1 - 20 of 28 Posts