Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently own a 2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 Outback Onyx. I have had recalls as along with many of you I am waiting on the latest Ascent recall for the CVT chain tensioner.

I posted this link below to provide some comparison as to how other manufacturers address safety issues proactively or in response to learning about them. The safety issues identified in the link have apparently been known for years. These are very popular brands and models. Imagine owning one of these vehicles and you were told you are on the parts waiting list for the recall repair, knowing that even your parked car can burst into flames. You can imagine as the report notes how challenging and dangerous this becomes given the supply chain issue. The manufacturer is limited in that they do not even have parts, loaner cars, new cars to provide these owners - nothing.

Hyundai/Kia recalls - very dangerous, already deaths involved update: 5.6 million recalled (some had already been recalled for this issue)

more detailed report

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember when Ford pickemups had the cruise control wires burning out and setting the truck on fire? Not everyone got the advice to park outdoors and the trucks parked in the garage set the whole house on fire.
Here is a scenario. You are legitimately concerned with a fire so you do not drive it, do not park in your garage, and you can not park it on the street due to community parking restrictions. - what do you do? The value of your vehicle is dropping everyday, and you continue to make payments on it. Fun times.

From what I am reading there is a very large number of impacted vehicles.

·
Registered
946 Posts
From the 1999 Fight Club adaptation by David Fincher -

----

OK, more seriously -

I honestly don't think that recalls are avoidable, nor deaths due to the problems that were the cause of such recalls avoidable, either. For the vast majority of us, buckling into our cars for the drive to work or for pleasure is the single riskiest thing we'll engage in all day, yet we think all too little of it.

As for when the vehicle is at-rest, what I've come to realize is that just like any other piece of technology in my home, it's getting more complicated all the time, and that what's more, there's far less vetting of it than there should be, even for something as critical as safety.

Years ago, more conservative folks thought going faster than horses could carry us promised a quick death.

If they could only see us now.

Back to the more concrete example of "where to put that X" that's going to catch-fire......"

One morning last year, I caught my friend as he was pulling into our work parking deck to ask him about the fire-related recall on his Dodge Ram, to let him know that the official line was to park the vehicle outside, away from one's home. My friend lives on a farm - he told me that he'd rather park the truck closer to his house so that he'd burn, versus his animals.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,261 Posts
I believe that recalls are...or at least can be...a good thing. "Back in the day", so much stuff got pushed under the rug. These days, serious issues get handled under the recall process in a documented and regulated way with hopefully good results. Most certainly, there are cases when things are not addressed expediently...lack of parts is already mentioned. I do think in general that Subaru handles things pretty well. And as Callie's Mom mentioned, there's no such thing as perfect.

• Love
Reactions: TSiWRX and packout

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
12 Posts
I bought my 2019 Ascent recently taking advantage of the open recall. I had an Outback and am familiar with the CVT and Subaru service related to it. I also have an understanding of statistics and how forums amplify issues (see Porsche IMS for example). So for me the recall is a big plus.

I would much rather have a recall than a 1970s exploding Ford Pinto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts