Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several recent posts on the Ascent forum from people who are considering an Ascent versus other brands. Sorry for the lengthy post, but as a long time Subaru owner (our new Ascent is our eighth Subaru going back to 1985), I thought I’d list some of the reasons why I repeatedly continue to purchase Subaru vehicles.

Reliability:— We’ve been driving Subarus since 1985 and the Ascent is our 8th Subaru (Outbacks, Forester, WRX, SVX,Legacy wagon, etc.). We have put over 600,000 miles on our Subaru vehicles and the only significant repair was a timing belt that went out on our 1985 GL wagon (MT with FWD). The timing belt was supposed to be replaced at 60,000 miles back then —ours broke at 52,000 miles and was no longer covered under warranty, but the dealer was very cooperative since the belt failed before the scheduled replacement mileage.We’ve had no other significant repairs on our seven other Subaru vehicles beyond the usual things such as tires, brakes, etc. Besides our new Ascent we have a 2011 Outback with 78,000 miles which has been virtually trouble free.

Value: Not only is Subaru a good value when comparing the purchase price to other brands, Subaru also is recognized for its high re-sale value. We have done extremely well with the re-sale values on our Subarus , Just traded in our 2012 Forester when I purchased the Ascent. We paid $21,300 for this Forester and got $10,750 trade-in seven years later with 49,000 miles. So depreciation of 50% over 7 years works out to about 7%per year. My 2008 WRX only depreciated about 30% over 5 years or about 6% per year).

Gas-Mileage: Always compare apples to apples — since almost every Subaru has All-Wheel Drive (AWD), make sure you compare gas mileage to competing models that have AWD. I think you will find that Subaru compares favorably to other AWD vehicles. Our 2019 Ascent has 3,400 miles and overall mileage is 21.3 mpg, just under the advertised 22 mpg. The Ascent is my wife’s car and she drives with a light touch on the gas pedal. However in the city we often see only 17 to 19 mpg due to the fact that almost all her driving is short 2 or 3 mile trips for shopping and errands. For longer trips, where I drive, the mileage has been better than expected with a recent 700 mile trip showing 27 to 29 mpg even with a significant portion of slow, heavy bumper to bumper traffic through Chicago. All in all, mileage is what I expected for a 4500 pound 8 passenger car with a lot of room and AWD

Security of Subaru All Wheel Drive: Subaru is noted for its signature AWD system and I feel that AWD may have saved my life. While driving my first AWD car, (1995 Subaru Legacy wagon) I came over a hill on a hilly two-lane highway in southern Indiana. It was raining and there was no shoulder on the highway, only a steeply sloping grassy area on the side of the road. As I approached the top of a hill, a vehicle came over the hill going the opposite direction right in my lane. There was no place to go but off the road into the wet tall grass. The Subaru with its low center of gravity and AWD helped me quickly get back on the road. Since then I will not own a car without AWD. We don’t get a great amount of snow and ice, but with the pavement wet, maybe 25 to 30% of the time, AWD provides a real sense of security every time I drive.

Eyesight Safety System:— We have a new Ascent (less than 4 months and 3,500 miles) and not a single problem with the car beyond the dealer helping synch up our cell phones. The Ascent is wonderful to drive, especially on long trips and a recent trip showed the value of Eyesight. There was a string of cars on the interstate passing trucks, and one of the cars up front unexpectedly hit the brakes hard forcing everyone to take quick action. The car in front of me not only had to brake hard, but went way onto the left shoulder to prevent hitting the car immediately in front. I quickly took my foot off the gas and was in the motion of hitting the brake when Eyesight automatically applied the brake and slowed our Ascent with no drama. While I felt I would have had no trouble avoiding a rear-end collision on my own, it was comforting that Eyesight braked faster than me.

Summary: Subaru makes rugged, practical, reliable vehicles. Their Eyesight Safety System is recognized as being very effective and their all-wheel drive system provides great security. Subarus also keep their value over time and their gas mileage is comparable to other AWD vehicles. For all these reasons, I keep purchasing Subarus when it is time for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
There have been several recent posts on the Ascent forum from people who are considering an Ascent versus other brands. Sorry for the lengthy post, but as a long time Subaru owner (our new Ascent is our eighth Subaru going back to 1985), I thought I’d list some of the reasons why I repeatedly continue to purchase Subaru vehicles.

Reliability:— We’ve been driving Subarus since 1985 and the Ascent is our 8th Subaru (Outbacks, Forester, WRX, SVX,Legacy wagon, etc.). We have put over 600,000 miles on our Subaru vehicles and the only significant repair was a timing belt that went out on our 1985 GL wagon (MT with FWD). The timing belt was supposed to be replaced at 60,000 miles back then —ours broke at 52,000 miles and was no longer covered under warranty, but the dealer was very cooperative since the belt failed before the scheduled replacement mileage.We’ve had no other significant repairs on our seven other Subaru vehicles beyond the usual things such as tires, brakes, etc. Besides our new Ascent we have a 2011 Outback with 78,000 miles which has been virtually trouble free.

Value: Not only is Subaru a good value when comparing the purchase price to other brands, Subaru also is recognized for its high re-sale value. We have done extremely well with the re-sale values on our Subarus , Just traded in our 2012 Forester when I purchased the Ascent. We paid $21,300 for this Forester and got $10,750 trade-in seven years later with 49,000 miles. So depreciation of 50% over 7 years works out to about 7%per year. My 2008 WRX only depreciated about 30% over 5 years or about 6% per year).

Gas-Mileage: Always compare apples to apples — since almost every Subaru has All-Wheel Drive (AWD), make sure you compare gas mileage to competing models that have AWD. I think you will find that Subaru compares favorably to other AWD vehicles. Our 2019 Ascent has 3,400 miles and overall mileage is 21.3 mpg, just under the advertised 22 mpg. The Ascent is my wife’s car and she drives with a light touch on the gas pedal. However in the city we often see only 17 to 19 mpg due to the fact that almost all her driving is short 2 or 3 mile trips for shopping and errands. For longer trips, where I drive, the mileage has been better than expected with a recent 700 mile trip showing 27 to 29 mpg even with a significant portion of slow, heavy bumper to bumper traffic through Chicago. All in all, mileage is what I expected for a 4500 pound 8 passenger car with a lot of room and AWD

Security of Subaru All Wheel Drive: Subaru is noted for its signature AWD system and I feel that AWD may have saved my life. While driving my first AWD car, (1995 Subaru Legacy wagon) I came over a hill on a hilly two-lane highway in southern Indiana. It was raining and there was no shoulder on the highway, only a steeply sloping grassy area on the side of the road. As I approached the top of a hill, a vehicle came over the hill going the opposite direction right in my lane. There was no place to go but off the road into the wet tall grass. The Subaru with its low center of gravity and AWD helped me quickly get back on the road. Since then I will not own a car without AWD. We don’t get a great amount of snow and ice, but with the pavement wet, maybe 25 to 30% of the time, AWD provides a real sense of security every time I drive.

Eyesight Safety System:— We have a new Ascent (less than 4 months and 3,500 miles) and not a single problem with the car beyond the dealer helping synch up our cell phones. The Ascent is wonderful to drive, especially on long trips and a recent trip showed the value of Eyesight. There was a string of cars on the interstate passing trucks, and one of the cars up front unexpectedly hit the brakes hard forcing everyone to take quick action. The car in front of me not only had to brake hard, but went way onto the left shoulder to prevent hitting the car immediately in front. I quickly took my foot off the gas and was in the motion of hitting the brake when Eyesight automatically applied the brake and slowed our Ascent with no drama. While I felt I would have had no trouble avoiding a rear-end collision on my own, it was comforting that Eyesight braked faster than me.

Summary: Subaru makes rugged, practical, reliable vehicles. Their Eyesight Safety System is recognized as being very effective and their all-wheel drive system provides great security. Subarus also keep their value over time and their gas mileage is comparable to other AWD vehicles. For all these reasons, I keep purchasing Subarus when it is time for a new vehicle.
My 16 year old son is buying his first vehicle and it will be a 2018 Subaru Impreza. What can I say, he has always learned practical. Notice I said leaned. He actually wanted the WRX.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i just purchased my third subaru ---touring ascent blue/brown
2015 OB limited
2019 forester touring
2020 ascent touring

they just fit our family, my wife loves eyesight and the ergonomics, stylish chic, tremendous visibility, reliable when choosing a car for our daughters wife asked what's the safest car, she wanted AWD like the audi so she, our kids can get home. safety over style,

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ditto.

2009 WRX
2011 Outback (my wife wanted a Subie as soon as we could afford it after riding in my WRX)
2015 Imprezza
2017 Outback
2019 Ascent

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
811 Posts
Each one a Christmas gift to my wife.
Nice! Sure beats giving her a Peloton exercise bike like that guy on TV. ?

1982 GL Wagon
1984 GL 2 Door Hardtop (Remember Those?)
(35 Years...)
2019 Ascent LTD

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
198x GL (spouse)
1998 Forester (spouse)
2011 Outback Limited (spouse, now younger daughter)
2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight (spouse)
2019 Ascent Touring (me)

Unlikely we will deviate from Subaru going forward. Even The Princess (daughter) wants to continue in Subarus once she's done school and on her own.

Reactions: SkiPro3

·
Registered
120 Posts
2015 OB limited
2019 forester touring
2020 ascent touring
wow are these nice. safe, best in visibility low cost of ownership
the OB convinced me
the idea back in 2014 wife needed new car, i wanted safe and awd so she could get home. idea #2 wife drives for 3 years and roll over to my oldest daughter as a "used" car that we know and trust.
2014 forester won suv of the year and though i included crv and highlander like everyone else, the review of the 2014 piqued my interest. all my friends that have subarus are gaga nuts over them. So then the test drive.
toyota bland
crv new for 2015 had a course shimmy in the wheel and front end--forums are loaded with stories. my wife went nuts and told the sales guy back to dealer "oh we can fix that" yea sure.
so off to the "never driven a subaru" dealer for the forester. wife liked it, then she saw the larger OB and said hey can i sit in that? BINGO fell in love did't want to drive anymore.
she asked me is it safe? yes honey, reliable ? yes honey she test drove that OB and bam i was working deals.
she was soooooo impressed with eyesight that became the new "required" function of any of our cars
so when we rolled over the OB to our oldest daughter she needed something to drive and roll over to our youngest daughter this spring.
now she needs a new car for this spring.
i wanted to test the telluride, ascent and toyotal 2020 highlander
highlander dropped because of size and lower headroom middle seat.
off to the telluride Kia dealer---4-6 month wait 1K over list.--test was ok, she said it wallows around and didn't like the drive around corners...meh not worth the wait and premium (this is all from my wife--its her car i bring up options but its her decision---wedding vows 102)
subaru dealer across the street so hey honey take me over there.....sure no problem.
got in the ascent limited, loved the seats and the thigh support loved even more the saddle brown interior.
lets get the touring....work a deal honey bunny....so i did got invoice, + 3rd key fob + 0.9% financing 48 months then you guys told me about the loyalty program. dealer called subaru and got $500 more off.
HOW DO YOU SAY NO TO THAT. 2 DAYS LATER WIFE HAPPY HAPPY DRIVING HER NEW ASCENT. BLUE WITH SADDLE BROWN INTERIOR. tells me everyday since 12/26 when we took delivery how much she loves this car. oh did i tell you how much she loves the auto high beam???

the only thing i don't like about my 2020 ascent is the location of some of the ac and defrost setting buttons so far down the center stack 2019 forest better center stack so i don't have to take my eyes off the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts