Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Android phone. I installed VLC to play music after Google shut down Google Music.

When I start the Ascent it connects to my phone, starts VLC, and commences to play songs that are stored on the phone. I didn't ask it to do this.

I don't mind the Ascent syncing up with the phone in case a call comes in or I want to start Android Auto or what have you. But I didn't ask it to fire up my songlist.

Does anyone know of a way to tell the car to stop doing this?

Maybe it's a setting in VLC that I need to change? I don't recall the Ascent doing this when I had Google Music.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Hi!

Android Auto NOT in Use:
Bluetooth Auto play is enabled in the app.
Solution: Disable in VLC.

Android Auto IS in use:
Auto Play Media is enabled.
Solution: Click "Home" circle on Android Auto, then "Settings", then "More Settings" (which will tell you to check your phone), then, deselect the auto-play option via the phone.

Side note:
YouTube Music works as the Google Play Music replacement. As you may have noticed, it's missing a number of features, and you need to reset all your preferences (eg: music quality, re-download all media, etc). I made the switch, because I have so much in the Google Ecosystem. But, as a basic player with some basic (and sometimes horrible) understanding of my playlists, it does ok. I do miss Google Play Music, though.

Additional Tip:
PowerAmp works VERY well with Android Auto, and has a plethora of features. It's my favorite "on device" solution. RocketPlayer is also decent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. Didn't know about PowerAmp.
Does YouTube Music rely on an internet connection? We have no broadband in our rural neighborhood. When the pandemic started our WildBlue satellite internet stopped working. After a month or two of monthly bills but no internet service I finally cancelled them.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. Didn't know about PowerAmp.
Does YouTube Music rely on an internet connection? We have no broadband in our rural neighborhood. When the pandemic started our WildBlue satellite internet stopped working. After a month or two of monthly bills but no internet service I finally cancelled them.
Like Google Play Music, you can download songs or playlists to the phone for seamless local/no connection play. It will update things when it gets a wifi connection. If you had stuff in Google Play Music, it allowed you to transfer over the stuff (whether songs or playlists). You do need to re-download everything on YTM though. Similar process to offlining the songs on GPM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts