Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I hear it all the time at work and on social media..."I just hope you're not one of the typical Subaru drivers because I freaking hate them".

Why do people hate Subaru drivers so much?
Not where I live (Northern New England), they're extremely popular here and well loved. But I know of what you speak.

Most unfortunately, we now appear to live in a very divided society, and tribalism is becoming a norm. I don't see that changing any time soon. Some people look to stereotypes to express hatred. This can even extend to the car you drive.

We should all ignore such hatred and live our lives to a higher standard where people can be civil and united once more. That's what would make America great again.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not where I live (Northern New England), they're extremely popular here and well loved. But I know of what you speak.

Most unfortunately, we now appear to live in a very divided society, and tribalism is becoming a norm. I don't see that changing any time soon. Some people look to stereotypes to express hatred. This can even extend to the car you drive.

We should all ignore such hatred and live our lives to a higher standard where people can be civil and united once more. That's what would make America great again.
I agree....we are being pushed to divided too far to one side or the other and need connect more on basic things.
One leans towards the hel of absolute order and the other leans towards the **** of absolute chaos. Both are **** for sure.

Subaru owners are hated because it an easy target and people need something to give meaning to their fear and lack. Need something or someone to blame

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have never understood this as well. Some of it has to do with the fact that Subaru at one point advertised towards the LBGT community with some of its adds and another has to do with young kids buying old WRXs and probably driving dangerously. Either way it really doesn't make sense.

That or they are jealous because when it snows and you just plow on through in a Subaru!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I will tell you, since the 2010 and the newer models have been coming out. A lot of new customers have been flooding to Subaru. Around where I live, at least 1/2 the Outback drivers are A-holes. In fact I say a very nicely dresses woman in a Ascent yesterday ... think she was trying out for the new Fast&Furious movie. Flooring it out of the gate, bobbing and weaving. I got to see some of that body roll.

I'm the ricer in the red wagon with blue wheels and a hood scoop ... and she's the street punk.

This may be one of the reasons people are put off by Subaru drivers. Becasue most of the time, that Subaru driver deserves is.

Here is perfect example, I started a thread about it.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/499455-black-3-6r-out-estes-park-co.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hear it all the time at work and on social media..."I just hope you're not one of the typical Subaru drivers because I freaking hate them".

Why do people hate Subaru drivers so much?
I heard that it a lot in Canada. The reason for that is or at least those people explained to me as Subaru being a AWD and good on snow, the people drive them don't care about other drivers. They drive fast in snow and ice rain jeopardizing other commuters on the road, especially the small FWD cars. Until now I didn't own a Subaru myself and owned a Honda insight. I tried to observe this pattern for last 8 years, but in my observation based on my daily travel to work and down(60 kms/ 5 days), I did not find it is true. I initially thought this behavior attributed to Mazda drivers, then I thought its Honda drivers and lastly Kia drivers based on my observation. But never a Subaru!

Now I realized, I may be one of that kind of aggressive driver. Although I drive an Honda Insight that seriously lack power, I drive bit aggressively and opportunistically( change lanes as soon as an opportunity comes to go faster). In winter, when it snows heavily I drive the left lane that is mostly unoccupied. It is usually ok, but sometimes I can feel wind pressure on the car and other factors too. So for other cars I am one of the aggressive Honda guy. But why the Subaru is getting the bad re?! In my opinion, I am driving fast in snow because of my confidence or stupidity. Not lot of drivers have the same courage/ stupidity to do that. So they don't admit the aggressive driver is better driver than them( unless there is an accident in that case the driver in question is stupid jerk who got what he deserved). So they give this credit to Subaru being a AWD and usually a better vehicle in snow. Thus Subaru drivers are jerks in people's opinion while there are 100s of Honda, Mazda, Kia jerks on the road.

One of the reasons I was sold on Subaru is that, it has got a good reputation on snow/ ice driving( although it comes as negative in our part of the world as explained). I drive 5 days/ week for 60 kms( 40 kms in highway) for 3 - 4 months of average - 10 degrees with very bad road conditions. With Honda insight when driving above 115km/hr on snow, some times I feel the tires are bit out of touch or going to drift and heavy wind pressure. I have a kid and my he goes to a daycare close of my work. So I wanted to better and safer car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm surprised to hear this as well. In the Twin Cities, I think Subaru has a certain popularity due to the winters. I don't know many people, other than my wife and I, that rave about them but then again I don't know anyone who strongly opposes the brand either.

The only wide-scope criticism I have ever heard about Subaru drivers comes from Jeremy Clarkson's "agri-yob" comments toward Richard Hammond's WRX on the Series 19 Africa Special. To this day I'm not entirely sure what it even means.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because Subaru drivers are just a bunch of libtard, tree-hugging hippies with their hair too long and bumper stickers forcing all their opinions on people and telling them what to do. That was at least until I became a Subaru driver.

You know who's the worst, though? It's those friggin' Tesla drivers...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Because Subaru drivers are just a bunch of libtard, tree-hugging hippies with their hair too long and bumper stickers forcing all their opinions on people and telling them what to do. That was at least until I became a Subaru driver.

You know who's the worst, though? It's those friggin' Tesla drivers...
The funny thing is around here Tesla and Subarus sharing driveways and garages is very common. My moms 2010 Legacy now sits next to a T3. Both are her cars. She like them both

·
Registered
3 Posts
I won't go into all the rationalizing I did to switch from a full size truck. It wasn't an easy decision. I learned on a full size truck and inherited that truck. Since I got my license (Reagan administration) the only time in my life without a truck, all 2 years of it, were miserable. Not the least of the decision to change was to cut down on the "shoot me first" and "break into me first" factors. Driving, if you've lost it on ice in a full size 4X4 before, you will forever give up the invincible attitude and drive like you have an eggshells on your pedals in snow and ice. The contact point with the road is the same patch of rubber no matter what you drive. You may accelerate better but you can't stop any better. I really don't care what people think. It's a sound design, I get compliments from all guest passengers, fit and finish is better than anything I've ever driven, it's built here, pheasant hunting road trip last week with >25 mpg is welcome when you're used to 15 mpg... It will take a while to get used to the change but if a person doesn't like me b/c of the car I drive, I can live with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I won't go into all the rationalizing I did to switch from a full size truck. It wasn't an easy decision. I learned on a full size truck and inherited that truck. Since I got my license (Reagan administration) the only time in my life without a truck, all 2 years of it, were miserable. Not the least of the decision to change was to cut down on the "shoot me first" and "break into me first" factors. Driving, if you've lost it on ice in a full size 4X4 before, you will forever give up the invincible attitude and drive like you have an eggshells on your pedals in snow and ice. The contact point with the road is the same patch of rubber no matter what you drive. You may accelerate better but you can't stop any better. I really don't care what people think. It's a sound design, I get compliments from all guest passengers, fit and finish is better than anything I've ever driven, it's built here, pheasant hunting road trip last week with >25 mpg is welcome when you're used to 15 mpg... It will take a while to get used to the change but if a person doesn't like me b/c of the car I drive, I can live with that.
E250 van with 7 people and snow ski gear talk about pucker factor 12!
The Subaru is light yrs less stressful on the slick stuff. I love trucks but around here all the truck owners drive small cars during the week. The F150 crew 6ft bed one house down his daily is a 2019 Focus awd RS 6spd Manual. The truck moves about every 10 days. My Sequoia is the same way. LOL

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The bro-dawg wrx/sti drivers is probably what they are referring to. "ricer" of old.
That's probably true, but here in Denver, Outback owners are just as obnoxious!! They dart in and out of traffic and in general drive aggressively. They know their vehicle will conquer the snow, but they drive like they also have more capable stopping characteristics, which they don't.

I think it is more than just the aggressive driving style though. It is the culture. When I think of Subaru - I think of an elitist attitude fostered by the owners of a Subaru. They rarely accept any other brand/model of car as being worthy. They actually feel sorry for me for driving a Toyota or a Honda, etc. or that I don't allow my dog to ride in my vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not heard condescending remarks about Subie drivers myself and after reading the threads here can agree with most of the posts.

There are good drivers and bad and some who become serotypes for specific brands ie BMW, (especially 3 drivers with the look at me upward mobility attitude) along with the opposites, the Prius crowd who expounded the tree hugging save the planet groups long before Tesla came in being.

Funny I think it may be a function of time and weather conditions (regarding distain for 4WD Pick ups / suvs in the snow). Maybe a little jealousy when a particular brand or type vehicle is more desirable than others with serotype drivers who amplify their vehicle driving skills in the presence of those who would love to also own that desirable car.

Over the years I owned a lot of German high end cars with lots of go, some even before BMW got the tag for being A**hole.

Yes there was something to be proud about years ago when traffic was less dense and crazy SAAB drivers ruled the winter roads like Viking rally winners while mainstream drivers shook their heads in disbelief. But I don't recall everyone looking down at SAABs then nor when there were less BMWs on the road especially before the 320 series made BMW a household name.

Many of my friends who drove European and hated US steel laughed when the first wave of Japanese cars arrived liking them to grocery carts or motorcycles with 4 wheels instead of two. That changed over time when the Japanese took the American and European cars to task and started making competitive products that were as desirable if not more than the competition.

Maybe it was the real world value these cars provided along with many after market parts available to make that initial entry model something to heed at every stop light. Subie WRX along with lots of Honda / Acura racers and their intended prey Mitsubishi turbo cars soon became the source of irritation for Mr Mainstream driver who only drives to and from work.

Reality is however the group listed above represent only the minority of each brands ownership and so it is these 'ambassadors' who generate negative attitudes the rest of us must in turn work to prove not every member of our specific brand of vehicle adheres to those standards. We may have those traits deep down or practiced them in the past but that was then and this is now.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts