Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With tons of great competitors out there, what put you over the edge to an Ascent?

I currently have an Outback that has been incredible, but I’m looking for 3 rows and more space. I’m strongly considering a used Xc90 as the autonomous pilot, and adaptive suspension features are really awesome.

But the Ascent seems like a great deal for what it is and comes with!

Any insight into what turned you to the ascent vs another 3 row type would be great to hear and learn from!

·
Registered
253 Posts
This will be my first Subaru. And I am so excited. Something like two years ago, I was VERY close to buying an Outback (after months and months of research). That was essentially when the Viziv-7 (Ascent) was announced...or at least I came across it online. I decided to wait and see the stats. It has more cargo space than nearly all the class, same with MPG. And safety-wise, you cant beat a Subie.

Am I nervous about buying a new build car?....**** yeah I am....very. And some of the stuff we are reading on the forum isn't helping. But I know that Subaru is an incredible company. I know I will be proud to own one. I plan on having my Ascent for 7+ years.

I have been waiting for this car for almost two years at this point...it better be all I have dreamed. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have 2 Hondas and owned a couple of hondas before. I love them. But...

The pilot feels like it is going to tip over around corners. I drive in the snow to go skiing and to go to our cabin. The Subaru is light years ahead of the pilot in its ability to navigate safely in snow. ACC... Eyesight.... Finally, Honda lost me when they failed year after year to modernize their technology. They are just phoning it in and I find it amazingly disappointing.

So, I will always look fondly back at my first love but sometimes you have to let that crazy-ex go and get into a more adult and satisfying relationship...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s really funny panther!

My wife has a newer pilot and LOVES it. I drive it and like the self driving features, but other than that, it’s fairly uninspiring to me.

I agree with your assessment, it seems very half hearted in its features and tech (which she likes the simplicity of) but would drive me nuts for such a “modern” car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
1. 3rd Subaru for us - so devil you know, so to speak. All other Subarus performed well.
2. Compared to all others (like Highlander) value for money was better with Ascent (given all bells and whistles of the Touring model). We were not very interested in Ford or Chevy.
3. Subaru great AWD reputation in the snow (I go through mnt passes 3 times a week in the winter to ski)
4. Eyesight feature (adaptive cruise comes to complete stop, not sure if others do the same)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had it down to Ascent, Highlander and Pilot and we were leaning towards the Highlander. Test drove all 3. Pilot was out weird right side blind spot camera and no left side blind spot mitigation unless you got the elite of paid $1k more. So it was out. Highlander had lots of neat things the camera plus radar etc included moon roof in the limited model, ride was a bit rough felt more like a truck, less cargo space, but Toyota reputation, features more in line with the touring some of which we didn't car about, and dealer much closer to us had us tipping more to the Highlander. But at the same time we loved the test ride we had in the ascent. I felt more connected with the road, the cargo space on the ascent more than met our needs, but we had experience with Toyota and not the Subaru so we were sitting on the fence.

So to break the tie I threw it open to my facebook connections. All were go with Subaru you won't regret it except one slight tip to Toyota base on not understanding the eyesight system. So tough we have a much longer way to go for service we are getting the Subaru. And well the service at the dealer is great. They are next to the Washington and Dominion trail so they have a bike loner program so you can ride the trail while your car is serviced. We are very happy with our decision.

·
Registered
357 Posts
With tons of great competitors out there, what put you over the edge to an Ascent?

I currently have an Outback that has been incredible, but I’m looking for 3 rows and more space. I’m strongly considering a used Xc90 as the autonomous pilot, and adaptive suspension features are really awesome.

But the Ascent seems like a great deal for what it is and comes with!

Any insight into what turned you to the ascent vs another 3 row type would be great to hear and learn from!

We looked at just about every option for three rows out there, including the xc90 what killed the xc90 is my very very much dislike for our local Volvo dealer.

what won the ascent is even before we drove the ascent my wife was comparing features and she kept comparing everything to the ascent, for the price per option the Subaru beats just about everything out there.

I am not sure what outback you have but if you have the lane assist and adaptive cruise you are fairly close to the xc90 auto pilot.

the resale value of the Subaru is a plus, I have owned tons of cars in my life and the resale on the Subaru is something well worth looking into unless you keep something for years and years. just my .02

·
Registered
70 Posts
It all began when we were looking at 3 row suv. With Family of 4 with frequent grandparents visits. If we wanted to go out it will be in 2 cars..

We went to look at the houston auto show in january and looked for all the 3 row options. basically, we were looking for a comfortable third row. Pilot and Highlander did not make it, the third row is just weird and your knees are very high and uncomfortable for grandparents. We didnt like also the mazda cx9.

Acadia was too small..

We came out liking the traverse, enclave and atlas.

Then I saw an add about the ascent subaru and caught my eye, i have never owned a subaru. Then on a couple days I went fishing to the beach, i saw some subarus going into the sand trails, that was very interesting how a car made it so far( my fishing truck is a 2016 Colorado)

Wife did not liked the european look of the Atlas so it was out.

We went to check on the subaru and we were amazed first by the eyesight offering on any trim, technology involved(which is not available on any other lower trim offerings). the space on the 3rd row was good.

One day we went to test drive the traverse, good right but the inside felt outdated wife said it is like if I were inside your truck it is just to PLAIN even the steering wheel is the same on my truck as the travers. Access to 3rd row on the travers is great, cargo space is awesome. We didnt like it was too loud and the sales guys was to pushy and he didnt give me the information i requested about what was inside the trim we drove. according to him it was 44k. Crazy thats the price of a touring and it didnt even had all the goodies of the eyesight, and the features of the subaru touring.

2 miles down the way was another subaru dealer so we went to test drive it again just have driven the traveres minutes ago to compare it.

We were sold on the Ascent.

Got one in transit from a dealer in houston. maybe it will be here next week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We began looking at 3rd row vehicles back in April/May. Our list only included the Highlander, Pilot, and Ascent (VW was never in contention because of their history of issues before so we'd never even look at one; and we will NEVER buy any GM product). I came across a comparison of the 3 in April and the Ascent had won in most categories. When we began reading reviews, the Highlander was tipped out of contention because it really can only seat 7 comfortably and has less cargo space than the Ascent. Then it was down to the Pilot and the Ascent. A lot of reviews of the Pilot (2018 model) said the infotainment system sucked (no knobs for volume control, etc.), the moonroof was plain instead of a panoramic one like the Ascent, and the 3rd row was kinda tight. Also, the 2018's did not have Honda Sensing standard (which the Eyesight comes standard on all models; Honda Sensing will be standard on all 2019 models). When we came down to comparing features we are getting for the price we are paying, the Ascent wins across the board. We qualify for TrueCar pricing and would be taking a step down to get a Pilot for the same price we are paying for our Ascent (we are coming in under $36K for a fully loaded Premium - see signature for build). When Honda announced the 2019's, I inquired using TrueCar to see what the dealers would give us and most were trying to get us to purchase their 2018's off the lot (but we have no interest in buying them for reasons above) and the best price they could get us on the 2019 was $200 off MSRP. Again, comparing the features, we are realizing we are getting a screaming deal on the Ascent! Now if only ours would be here already!

Reactions: Paks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a CX5 before I got my minivan. I loved the CX5 but the CX9 felt like there really was not much more space at all, so I went overboard with the minivan and it's very heavy steering and not fun at all to drive.

I really missed being able to go up in the mountains in winter, as my van can't have chains. The other brands that had more cargo space are either gas guzzlers or more luxury and I prefer a more rugged look for adventuring.

I'm really excited to love driving again and the Ascent seems to hopefully feel that need. It has more cargo space than the others with exception of the Atlas I think, Consumer Reports rate Subaru really high as a brand and I've never seen customer loyalty like they have, so I'm hoping to join other folks who seem to be in love with their cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been looking for over a year now, and have finally found my perfect solution in the Ascent. I would prefer to buy something with a local dealer (GM, Ford, Dodge are the only local options), but the GMs don't have a headrest on the middle seats, and you know, I love the people I will be transporting, so that is out of the question. Too bad because I actually still like my old Acadia and don't mind the new downsizing. The way to access the 3rd row in the Explorer doesn't work at all if you have so much as a booster anywhere near the seat, rules out our cousins road trip, and I need a bench this time around to have the option of carrying my 3 kids with the 3rd row down when extra cargo is required. Durango poses the same seat issue, though it was never really on my radar anyway. So that means going to the city... Didn't care for the way the Pilot drove, felt very top heavy, though I felt the functionality was pretty good. Considered downsizing all the way to the Kia for the amazing prices and surprisingly well rated reliability, but it was really very small. This would probably still be my 2nd choice. The CX-9 is too small inside and too big outside. The Atlas would have been a top pick (though I haven't actually sat in one) but what I have read on VW reliability scared me straight away from that option. Didn't look at the Highlander because it is generally considered to be too small. The only other option I can think of is the Pathfinder, but no one seems to have them on the top of a list for anything other than towing capacity. Glad to be through with the comparison process, just looking forward to the day that I can sign the papers and get myself a Subie!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
We've owned 6 vehicles with "4WD/AWD". A 1999 Explorer, 2003 Trailblazer, 2010 and 2012 CRVs, and a 2015 and a 2016 Outback. The AWD system on the Outbacks outperformed all other vehicles that we've owned.

Until we purchased our 2015 OB, every time it snowed a considerable amount I would have to drive my wife to her job 25 miles away. Our confidence while driving the OB has been unmatched by any other auto brand. So when the Ascent was announced, it was only a matter of time before our order was in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My heart was sold on the Ascent as soon as I bought our first Outback with Eyesight last year. Between the Ascent and the Outback, I feel I am providing my family the best protection on the road I can get. We both have up to 3 hour commutes each day, and road safety is my top priority. I was very pleasantly surprised by the value and comfort packed into the Ascent's pricing, coming from a $50k cramped Ford Explorer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
People keep referencing eye sight and how great it is. Maybe I assumed incorrectly it was just on par with everyone else’s current offering of adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, and auto braking.

Is that not true?

Also, GREAT comments on here. Very compelling arguments being made, and it’s really helpful to hear each persons comparative analysis on different brands. Thanks for chiming in! Keep them coming!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.