Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think a double cup holder insert like this one would be the ultimate solution...

or this one if we can't have one like the above...

I would love to get a hold of the dimensions on either of these. I will try to stop by a Ford Parts Department this week to see if they would let me try it out for fit in my Ascent.

Leny

·
Registered
28 Posts
My son and I are working on one similar to this (double holder) to hold 32oz bottles. He already did a single holder for a 32oz and sells them on Etsy.
Are you looking to hold bottles or smaller for a better fit?
Just asking to see if we can incorporate/design what you are looking for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My son and I are working on one similar to this (double holder) to hold 32oz bottles. He already did a single holder for a 32oz and sells them on Etsy.
Are you looking to hold bottles or smaller for a better fit?
Just asking to see if we can incorporate/design what you are looking for.

Hi Chopath. My wife and I both use the 20oz. RTIC Stainless Steel Tumbler.

The website says the the bottom of the tumbler is 2 3/4". I measure it to be 2 5/8" exactly.

I am going to hold off buying anything until you come out with your double holder. If you end up doing 3" I will just buy the 30 oz tumbler from RTIC which measures 3" at the base (see below). Please put me down as your first customer for the double holder. Thanks much.

20 oz:

30 oz:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Subaru is coming out with a Factory cup holder inserts. Look at the 2020 Ascent accessory brochure. It will be released Fed 2020

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why during design did they build a cup holder that is so short.Its absurd to advertise 19 cup holders but build the 2 most important ones half assed? Did the designers never drive a vehicle with a standard 500 ml water bottle?

Some day they are going to be sued by a owner when a water bottle goes flying out of a cup holder that causes an accident or water spills into the console.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Why during design did they build a cup holder that is so short.Its absurd to advertise 19 cup holders but build the 2 most important ones half assed? Did the designers never drive a vehicle with a standard 500 ml water bottle?

Some day they are going to be sued by a owner when a water bottle goes flying out of a cup holder that causes an accident or water spills into the console.
My mod still works fine, for water bottles and my Yeti 28 ounce coffee mug.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a neoprene sleeve on my mug and it fits the stock hole just fine! Do a search on Amazon for 'neoprene can sleeve' and you'll get hundreds of choices.
I got a few of those can/bottle sleeves from recent auto show. I left them in the car for this exact purpose. Good call!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you saying the product will be released 02/2020 or we won’t be able to see them until 02/2020 because I haven’t found anything from Subaru showing these inserts.
Subaru is coming out with a Factory cup holder inserts. Look at the 2020 Ascent accessory brochure. It will be released Fed 2020

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my opinion, what the cupholders need most is some kind of flexible "fingers" that allow containers smaller than the full opening to be stabilized, yet still flexible enough that a nearly full-size container still fits and doesn't get stuck.

I think my last car had something like this, kind of a clover-leaf looking set of flexible lips that would accomplish this.

I keep thinking I could kludge something like this with some silicone putty and some light gauge wire, but my annoyance level with the existing cupholders is low enough that I just don't have the motivation.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
In my opinion, what the cupholders need most is some kind of flexible "fingers" that allow containers smaller than the full opening to be stabilized, yet still flexible enough that a nearly full-size container still fits and doesn't get stuck.

I think my last car had something like this, kind of a clover-leaf looking set of flexible lips that would accomplish this.

I keep thinking I could kludge something like this with some silicone putty and some light gauge wire, but my annoyance level with the existing cupholders is low enough that I just don't have the motivation.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMHPJJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is what I have in one of my Ascent front cup holders. As you turn the holder it tightens to the existing space so it is not moving on its own. I never really had a problem with the existing holders but this provides additional flexibility with container sizing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts