Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding an answer to a any question is exacerbated when you don’t know enough to ask the right question.

Before heading out on our first travel and camping trip, I’ve been trying to gather all of the supplies that might be necessary.

One of these items is spare fuses.

The AC power side is protected by circuit breakers. The DC fuse panel, and its associated fuses, in the Forest River Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB is shown below.

I am familiar with the blue 15A automotive spade type fuses as well as the 40A fuse. The placard in the fusebox is shown below.

The placard is less than helpful in identifying the black 15AMP fuse and the two gold-ish colored 30A fuses.

I did find one interesting thing while trying to find out what those ‘odd’ fuses were. The Type 257, noted on the placard of this 2020 travel trailer, is no longer available. The 287 Series replaces the 257 Series.

I am fairly adept at finding answers using Google. I could not find the answer as to why the one 15AMP fuse is black. No matter how I phrased the question, I could find no answer.

It turns out that the questions that I used were all wrong.

I pulled the ‘black’ fuse. On the side of the ‘fuse’ was written, “Snap Action 15AMP AT2 Type II”. A Google search indicated that It’s a CIRCUIT BREAKER not a fuse! I did not know enough to know what question to even ask. Circuit breaker, head slap! It should really never need replacing.

Once I found that I wondered, “Could the gold-ish 30A fuses also be circuit breakers?”

It turns out that they are! The Littelfuse 30A Circuit Breaker, 0ACB030.XP, is a direct replacement for them, but they should really never need replacing.

With my 72 years of life experience, I had never run across automotive spade type circuit breakers. I didn’t have enough knowledge to even ask the right question.

It would have been nice if Coachmen had noted those items as circuit breakers but, RV manufacturers do not provide manuals for the RV in printed form. They generally do have a generic manual online. Even a paper page sent along with the trailer, or even better, a placard in the fusebox, would have saved me time, gas and a little money, had I known that they were circuit breakers.

I even called the parts department of two RV dealerships and talked with a person in each of their parts departments. The person in neither of the parts departments could tell me anything about the ‘black’ fuses, as I described them.

As David Crossett says in some of his RV Masters videos, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” How true!

I hope this information helps some new travel trailer owners who are planning on pulling it with their Ascent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finding an answer to a any question is exacerbated when you don’t know enough to ask the right question.

Before heading out on our first travel and camping trip, I’ve been trying to gather all of the supplies that might be necessary.

One of these items is spare fuses.

The AC power side is protected by circuit breakers. The DC fuse panel, and its associated fuses, in the Forest River Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB is shown below.

View attachment 380

I am familiar with the blue 15A automotive spade type fuses as well as the 40A fuse. The placard in the fusebox is shown below.
View attachment 381

The placard is less than helpful in identifying the black 15AMP fuse and the two gold-ish colored 30A fuses.

I did find one interesting thing while trying to find out what those ‘odd’ fuses were. The Type 257, noted on the placard of this 2020 travel trailer, is no longer available. The 287 Series replaces the 257 Series.

I am fairly adept at finding answers using Google. I could not find the answer as to why the one 15AMP fuse is black. No matter how I phrased the question, I could find no answer.

It turns out that the questions that I used were all wrong.

I pulled the ‘black’ fuse. On the side of the ‘fuse’ was written, “Snap Action 15AMP AT2 Type II”. A Google search indicated that It’s a CIRCUIT BREAKER not a fuse! I did not know enough to know what question to even ask. Circuit breaker, head slap! It should really never need replacing.

Once I found that I wondered, “Could the gold-ish 30A fuses also be circuit breakers?”

It turns out that they are! The Littelfuse 30A Circuit Breaker, 0ACB030.XP, is a direct replacement for them, but they should really never need replacing.

With my 72 years of life experience, I had never run across automotive spade type circuit breakers. I didn’t have enough knowledge to even ask the right question.

It would have been nice if Coachmen had noted those items as circuit breakers but, RV manufacturers do not provide manuals for the RV in printed form. They generally do have a generic manual online. Even a paper page sent along with the trailer, or even better, a placard in the fusebox, would have saved me time, gas and a little money, had I known that they were circuit breakers.

I even called the parts department of two RV dealerships and talked with a person in each of their parts departments. The person in neither of the parts departments could tell me anything about the ‘black’ fuses, as I described them.

As David Crossett says in some of his RV Masters videos, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” How true!

I hope this information helps some new travel trailer owners who are planning on pulling it with their Ascent.
Thanks for all the research you did! I also have one of these in my '19 Keystone Outback, and went to 2 automotive stores to buy a backup, neither had one, then searched on line and found both this post, and a link on Amazon where they cost $31 bucks.
Saved me a few bucks, appreciated!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts