Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen so many posts about the dislike of the brown interior. That color is my main reason for wanting the Touring. It seems like for me at least, with 3 kiddos, it is the perfect color, won’t show dirt, and won’t get super hot. For those that do have it do you love it or just settled because you wanted the Touring? 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
155 Posts
When we first started looking at Ascents, we were focused on the Limited model with the ivory interior. After seeing one in person, I really liked the tri-color interior of the Touring (black, ivory, and java brown)...four colors if you include the wood grain patterned plastic trim. I think it gives a very warm feel to the inside of the cabin. We looked at a lot of SUVs before buying the Ascent, and we liked the interior styling and coloring on the Ascent the best.

My wife was not enamored with the java brown. But she wanted the front camera, the cooled seats, the smart rear view mirror/camera system, and the panoramic roof. Most Limiteds in our area came with the ~$3k tech package that included navigation and the roof, so we would have saved only $1,500 or so on a Limited w/ tech package vs. the Touring with the features we really wanted (the front and rear cameras and the cooled seats).

After a few months of ownership, we both really enjoy the Ascent, including the color. I always liked it, and my wife has grown to like it also.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
Colors are a subjective choice. I personally am fine with the Java interior, although I would have preferred a lighter interior on my Touring just because that's what I personally like the best. (Something like the dove gray interior we just got in Professor Dr. SWMBO's new MY20 Forester Limited) For me, the biggest downside to the Java interior was merely that I just spent 7 years in a Grand Cherokee with essentially a similar color interior and a change would have been nice. But then again, I occasionally carry materials for my shop inside my Ascent when I don't need my trailer for volume, so the Java is, perhaps, an advantage. I do wish that vehicle manufacturers would stop with the "Exclusive" interior colors in top trim models that force one to have to choose between that trim with that color and a different trim where there are other choices. "Top Trim" shouldn't be limited like that when the buyer is willing to invest more to get all the features that are exclusive to that top level vehicle. Colors is the one thing that would be so easy to provide more choices, even in today's packaged manufacturing environment.

That all said... I. Will. Not. Buy. A. Black. Interior. I hate black interiors. Again...personal preference.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wanted the touring for the front camera, smart mirror, folding mirrors. Not fans of the Java interior but living in Florida we'll never own a black interior. Would have preferred the lighter interior but again, no choice offered. We've owned saddle interiors for the last 40 years and without kids and using seat covers for the dogs it's not that difficult to keep looking new. The saddle interior on the 21 year old Lexus we traded in still looked great.

Not sure if this is the case with Subaru and the Java interior but other brands are also forcing the dark leather for the top trim levels because the top trims are using full grain leather, not bonded leather ( leather scraps bonded to a backing).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Some people complain that the Java Brown does not match or go with any of the exterior colors (except for Brown). I guess these are the same people that buy a leather couch for their living room to match the exterior paint of their house?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some people complain that the Java Brown does not match or go with any of the exterior colors (except for Brown). I guess these are the same people that buy a leather couch for their living room to match the exterior paint of their house?
Honestly, as a first time Subaru owner, SOA needs to hire new colorists. The only exterior color that we actually liked is the titanium, but again, the Touring doesn't come that way. Subaru needs to hire someone from Mazda for exterior colors. Mazda's Soul Red and Deep Mica Blue are stunning.

As far as the color going with the exterior, since you're looking at your hood while looking at your interior, yes the two need to harmonize. We went with white because the other exterior colors except titanium were discordant with the Java brown.

BTW, if you live in a warm climate and have huge floor to ceiling windows like we have in every room facing the pool area, you do in fact decorate your interior and exterior to work together.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with Subaru exterior colors.. I only like the white. Leaving black out of the discussion the rest of the colors subaru have used for years are questionable. However I love the new interior colors.. and rather like the contrast between the different interior colors used. Not sure why someone would want their interior all brown or all black for example. I do like the Java seats and other colors mix. Also not sure why anyone would want to match interior coloring with exterior coloring. They did that in the 50's and early 60's. I guess I'm a contrast person when it comes to colors.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I like the brown, although I would have preferred a lighter color option. My only issue is that there are already two other principal colors in the interior of the car, and the brown seats look a little out of place compared to them. I'm used to it by now and it doesn't really bother me any longer. But it would have been nice if maybe the door panel inserts, or some of the other trim colors matched the java seats.
Overall, the interior to me has a more durable than luxurious feel to it, although the car does have plenty of features as well, and the overall feel of the interior seems about right for the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve seen so many posts about the dislike of the brown interior. That color is my main reason for wanting the Touring. It seems like for me at least, with 3 kiddos, it is the perfect color, won’t show dirt, and won’t get super hot. For those that do have it do you love it or just settled because you wanted the Touring? 🤷🏻‍♀️
I love mine. This was the reason to get Touring.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
For years, I have hated it in every Subie I've seen. When the Ascent was announced, I saw the pics and hated it, but I really wanted everything that came in the Touring. So, I bought it, thoroughly knowing I'd hate it. I even looked at seat covers and the cost of re-skinning them (Katzkin isn't cheap to do a Touring).

:love: And then I got it, and fell in love. :love:
It's so warm and inviting, especially at dusk and after dark. The interesting thing is I am hardly the only person who's had that experience. There's tons of similar experiences out there. Doesn't mean everyone will get used to it, decide they like it, or (like me) fall in love with it. But, it's an interesting phenomena that seems to happen more than with any other color they offer.

·
Super Moderator
6,824 Posts
Honestly, as a first time Subaru owner, SOA needs to hire new colorists. The only exterior color that we actually liked is the titanium, but again, the Touring doesn't come that way. Subaru needs to hire someone from Mazda for exterior colors. Mazda's Soul Red and Deep Mica Blue are stunning.
Ironically, that's literally the only color I don't really like. It's SO subjective (everyone's tastes in car colors).

More ironically, is that Subaru keeps coming up with colors I thoroughly love (like the abyss blue pearl), but I always get the dark greys instead. I'm boring like that - but they pop like no other Subaru color at sunsets. Sunsets actually look better on a Magnetite Grey Metallic Subaru than in real life, lol!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Being the colorblind guy on the forum, I really like the Java seats. I just not sure what color a Java is. So I am ok with that.

Robert that is a nice pic of your tow hook. You decorated it with a nice car and scenery.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
As far as the color going with the exterior, since you're looking at your hood while looking at your interior, yes the two need to harmonize.
All of the interior colors have black dashboards, so the view from the front seats will not be affected by what's under our butts. :)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
there might be some confusion going on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
All of the interior colors have black dashboards, so the view from the front seats will not be affected by what's under our butts. :)
For me, the guy who can name maybe a dozen colors, I wanted the gray and no black interior, ever. My wife who sees all the 64 million colors that my Nvidia controller creates, it is a HUGE issue. Color selection goes to whom it matters.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
For me, the guy who can name maybe a dozen colors, I wanted the gray and no black interior, ever. My wife who sees all the 64 million colors that my Nvidia controller creates, it is a HUGE issue. Color selection goes to whom it matters.
way to stay married (y)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Being the colorblind guy on the forum, I really like the Java seats. I just not sure what color a Java is. So I am ok with that.

Robert that is a nice pic of your tow hook. You decorated it with a nice car and scenery.

Funny you say this because half my family is colorblind... (not me) but when speaking to our family physician he claims that most colorblind people tend to like/love the color brown because they interpret it as a special texture. Now once this was said I suddenly realized why my brothers had brown houses, brown cars, brown suits, brown shoes, brown dogs and even brown boats... LOL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts