Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've read nearly all of the posts and a question came to mind....why Subaru. I bought my first one a few weeks ago (21 limited). It strikes me as a decent car overall with some quirks, and a few surprises, both good and bad. Maybe the Touring is significantly better, but other than a few features like sunroof and front cameras, they are very similiar. I know that the brand has a great safety reputation and the ads claim longevity. With that I ask, what made you choose a Subaru. I'll be honest, it was on the recommendation of friends. After living with it for 6 weeks or so, it will probably be my last Subaru. Not that it's a bad vehicle, it's just not my style--a little too vanilla for me.

Administrator
Safety is especially important because my nieces like hanging out in the third row, while the adults are in the other two. It's still the safest 7/8 seat SUV in the country, per IIHS, which means it's probably still their safest SUV of any sort.

And, because it can get me places virtually no other car can. I don't want a Jeep, and I don't want a truck, but I want to get off the beaten path and enjoy nature. My Subie can get me there - and allow me to tow out other cars with their Faux Wheel Drive implementations, that don't belong out there. 馃槈

Registered
So, I've read nearly all of the posts and a question came to mind....why Subaru. I bought my first one a few weeks ago (21 limited). It strikes me as a decent car overall with some quirks, and a few surprises, both good and bad. Maybe the Touring is significantly better, but other than a few features like sunroof and front cameras, they are very similiar. I know that the brand has a great safety reputation and the ads claim longevity. With that I ask, what made you choose a Subaru. I'll be honest, it was on the recommendation of friends. After living with it for 6 weeks or so, it will probably be my last Subaru. Not that it's a bad vehicle, it's just not my style--a little too vanilla for me.
the niche it fills remains narrow and Subaru fills it so well! My 2019 Limited was my first Subaru and my son now drives a 2018 Impreza. My wife is in line for something Subie.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
Safety and AWD. As a parent of little ones, safety is paramount. The AWD is beneficial for our mountain runs in the snow to go skiing and boarding. Previous owner of a 02 WRX, that thing had no-frills but was reliable. Sold it with over 175K and was still running strong and took all of 6 hours to sell. Hoping my 20 Touring follows suit.....

Registered
Big things for me besides safety, awd, etc. are the uniqueness of how Subarus are laid out from a mechanical perspective. I think boxer engines are interesting, with their sound and quirks. I like the longitudinal engine layout. I like the symmetry in the drivetrain. I like the impossibility of torque steer. All other volume (mainstream) SUVs in this class are FWD-based, transverse engine layouts. The current exception is the new Explorer. Rumor has it that the next generation Mazda CX-9 will have an inline 6 RWD layout - that is very intriguing to me as I almost bought the current CX-9 despite its FWD roots. All the midsize and up Premium vehicles have RWD/longtudinal layouts as well. Interestingly the subcompact/compact Premium SUVs are generally FWD these days. That gives me pause. Subarus are quirky, yet generally reliable and affordable. I theorize that when Subaru introduced a vehicle in the hyper-competetive 3-row midsize SUV segment, that they gained some new customers (conquest sales) that didn't really get what Subaru was all about. Some will latch on and some will be turned off. We've seen both types come accross this forum.

Right now the only cars that have boxer engines are Porsche 911 and 718, and ALL Subarus. You can include the Toyota 86, but that's really a Subaru under the hood! That's some pretty good company even though you cannot really compare Subarus to Porsches. I just like that nerdy stuff.

Registered
For me, brand hasn't mattered much. I look for the characteristics and qualities that are relevant to my use. Capacity, performance, reliability, safety ratings and, to a lesser extent, esthetics, all measure in. Boxer engines? I've had 4, only one in cars; Continental, Lycoming, Honda and now, Subaru. I attribute nothing special to the number and arangement of cylinders. AWD? First two were Audis, the third a Ford and the forth a Lexus. If anything, I wound up with a Subaru this time due to value.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
Safety, AWD, breath of the product line...to name a few. We are on our sixth Subaru with three in the driveway currently. It would take an "act of some deity" to want to change direction because we are extremely happy with Subaru in almost every way.

Registered
Because when your at a intersection that has 10" of thick mangled snow, you just point it where you wanna go. Maybe burp the throttle in the middle to get it turned and back on the power. These drivetrains are like a lion with four paws and all claws.

Registered
Safety and AWD! I鈥檓 an essential worker at a local airport and I am required to get to work in the worst of conditions. There have been times I have been stopped by local law enforcement because the roads were so bad the municipality had a travel ban in effect.

And each time, I made it to work and back home after my shift. I always felt in control. I was able to steer around obstacles, people snowed out, people crashed and getting hooked up to tow trucks...

As someone that has done 360鈥檚 and spun out on major highways in my previous vehicles, there is just nothing like a Subaru in snow.

Registered
All this and as a designer I look at the design philosophy of a product. I know its stupid but you can feel when the people who designed and built your products gave a sh!t about giving you the best. Machines have a soul in a mechanical sort of way. I've worked with the Fuji (now Subaru) engineers and designers for year. I like them and the way they work (they're fun to party with also I hear). Simple good looking lines, ergonomically laid out controls, its almost as if they design aircraft or the company did in the past...
We're on our 4th when we pick up the Ascent tomorrow. We got my daughter an Impreza to commute the 40 miles each way to work. They are the perfect car for the PNW.

Registered
Interesting comments. My wife and I are considering one and the points you make (along with AWD, kids, etc. as mentioned by others) are similar to how we feel about it. If we get it, I think it will be a very good bridge vehicle until we move on, but not sure we'd own another one beyond this one. A lot of that is the price though - if it were about $4-5K in each trim, it would be a fairly easy one to take a pass on.

That said, I almost did buy an STI back in '08 - still sort of wish I had!

Registered
2020 CWP Touring
I like the Ascent because it's something different, mechanically. I've owned a goodly number of vehicles, and all have had your typical 4/6/8 cylinder inline or V engines, stepped automatic transmissions, etc. Mechanically, most of the Ascent's competitors are the same thing. A transverse V-6 with a 6/8/9/10-speed transmission with a FWD transaxle with "transfer case" PTO for rear drive shaft. I wanted to try something different, and I love the Ascent's powertrain. I love the boxer engine. My MIL has had a Lexus NX200t and now has a turbo RDX. Both engines (turbocharged) were tuned to feel more or less like larger normal engines. They didn't have any turbo lag to speak of and there wasn't a shove in your seat when the turbo does kick in. I like that the Ascent's engine has some of that "unrefined" character to it. It's almost like they told a bunch of engineers who tune STI engines to take a little of the boogey out of this one, but still leave the heart and soul.

I also like that it has a CVT. I think it's a terrific transmission (some off-idle throttle mapping and mandatory simulated shifts at high throttle excepted). It's always in the right ratio for "normal driving" and the paddle shifters let you be in command when you want to have fun or let the engine spin up a little bit. It's brilliant. I own two other cars with stepped automatics and I'm always seeing the inefficiency in them now...how they have to allow the engine to rev up higher than necessary just so the next shift doesn't put them in a "torque hole" they have to climb up out of. This is readily apparent driving the Ascent in manual mode. If you upshift it at 2,000 RPM all the time, the engine speed will decay to 1,500 or so and it'll have to climb back out of that hole on its way up. Or, if you let it rev to 2,500 before shifting, it shifts down to 2,000 nicely, but that engine speed increase back up to 2,500 is such a waste...it's only so you don't put it back into a deficit with the next shift. Automatic mode obviously cures all of that with giving you the output you've requested and not changing that with a shifty transmission. We've had our Ascent for about nine months now (and have put about 7,700 miles on it), and I've spent a lot of time playing with the CVT and just thinking and pondering about drivetrain theory and how stepped automatics keep adding additional gears to try to reduce the engine speed decay between shifts. They end up acting more like a CVT with each step increase. This car has inspired a lot of thought up in my brain box while driving it.

I like untraditional stuff mechanically (boxer-4, CVT, etc.), but I'm very much not a "look at me" sort of person visually. I love the Ascent's styling because it's clean, simple, and understated. Too many of its contemporaries have styling that already look dated to me in some cases, or are a little show-boaty, at least for me.

I've long liked the Outback, but my wife is not a "station wagon-shaped object" person. She loves it for the things she uses all the time (like the heated steering wheel right now!). I love it because I think the boxer/CVT combo is brilliant. I'd be very interested in another Subaru if we needed another newer vehicle in the family. I like all three, the Outback, Forester, and Crosstrek. I'm not sure which one I'd choose if I had to buy one today.

Registered
After 27 years and 7 Subarus (4 for me 3 for my wife) Why Change?
94 Legacy GT wagon, 95 Impreza, 2000 Outback, 07 Legacy, 2012 Outback, 19 Crosstrek, 2020 Ascent - of all these I like the Ascent the best.

Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
In 1997 my Dad took me to the LA auto show. They had a WRC rally car on display in the Subaru section. I fell in love and knew I needed a Subaru. In 2003 I had my first realish job and bought a WRX. They've been good to me so I have stuck with them.

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
Why the Subaru? Well, I'm enough of a Subaru fanatic that I can't even think of anything else under the sun I'd really want. And I'm a Subaru fanatic because the first one I ever got was an '82 GL wagon, and it was an absolutely great car and checked all the boxes I needed it to check.
1. Super reliable! Bought it in '90 and had it for 7 years with very few problems at all.
2. Great in the snow! I lived in Alaska at the time, so this was crucial, and that old car was fantastic in anything Alaska dished out!
3. Great for camping and all other outdoor pursuits! Plenty of room for a bunch of gear in the back (or up top!), and no problems on any of the rough dirt/gravel/muddy/snowy roads to get somewhere fun and beautiful.
4. Safety! Even that old '82 felt nice and safe for a family car.
5. Then bought a brand new '95 Outback back in '95 and it not only checked all the boxes the old Subaru did, but checked them even better, an upgrade in every way!
6. Then this glorious Ascent we bought in September is once again checking all those same boxes, and checking them even better than ever, and even checking some new boxes I didn't even know existed. I LOVE this car!
7. Finally, there's just something a bit different about a Subaru than just about anything else. There's that outdoorsy vibe, that safe and practical vibe, that slightly offbeat vibe, and other vibes that I can't think of off the top of my head. And Subaru just seems to get so many little things right, like when I turn off the car the dang lights go off. That dates back at least to my old '82, and I've never ever understood why most cars out there have headlights that stay on when the car is turned off (maybe they don't anymore?), but I know for decades the number one cause of people needing a jump was they'd left the lights on in their car and so their battery was dead. Why did Subaru figure out the obvious way to never leave your lights on decades before most other car companies? Side deals from car battery companies with the major car brands or something? Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent there, but it just seems like so many little details are just so simple and logical with Subarus, and have been that way since at least the 80's.

Registered
What others have said plus,

1. The engine is not sideways
2. Runs on regular
3. Most important leg room. I fit in it and not in most other small SUVs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts