Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Ascent Touring along with the hitch (0C7).

My dealer quoted me $895'ish (I don't have it right in front of me) for the hitch installed. When I look at cars101, I see the hitch is a $499 option. My understanding is this is factory-installed. Is there really an installation charge?

Also, does the hitch require the Rear Bumper Cover (0BZ)? Actually, what is the Rear Bumper Cover?

Lastly, how difficult is it to change a pre-order? For example, I want to add the bumper cover to an order I placed Tuesday.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't intend to hijack, but I'm considering the hitch as well, although really only for a cargo carrier. Is it a standard 2" hitch? And does it come wired for a light kit, or do I need to have that done by a third party if I want to purchase a light kit for my cargo carrier?

·
Registered
332 Posts
From another thread - the email I got in answer to these questions:

2" hitch with 4 pin and 7 pin connector. No brake controller but will have a space for a 3rd party one if needed.

Rear bumper cover is the cover that goes on the top of the bumper so when you put things in and out of the hatch, you don't scratch up that area.
If you get the hitch installed at the factory, it's the $499 option. At the dealership, they add in their labor and it's more like the $800 option.
I changed my pre-order to remove the remote start. Call your salesperson and ask. I can't imagine a huge markup on the bumper cover but I'm sure it something you could install yourself if needed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another question: how much more time/effort is involved installing/removing one of those cargo racks/carriers when you have the light kit vs. no light kit? If I plan to use it a couple of times per week to haul baseball/softball equipment to games/practices, I'm trying to determine how much time and effort I will save, if any, by not getting the light kit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't answer your question Patrick but in the event someone stumbles on this thread wanting to know more about the hitch:

My findings show that it is a Class III. The maximum tongue weight for the Ascent Premium and higher is 500lbs which means you can put the recommended 10% of the vehicle's maximum 5000lb capacity on it.

Janner -- I was surprised to see you comment it has a 7-pin as well. The information I see on cars101 lists it as 4-pin. If I recall correctly my dealer only mentioned 4-pin as well. Where were you seeing that info?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I ordered hitch as a factory option for $499. I am only planning to use it for bike carrier (or maybe borrow friend's trailer to bring garden bark once a while). However my driveway is curvy hill, so I can't really see myself going in/out without jackknifing and hitting the bumper with the trailer.

I can't see a connection between bumper cover & hitch. I have such cover on '16 Forester and no hitch. It's just black plastic cover on top of the bumper.

I looked Forester hitch OEM install manual. Seems like a big process involving removal of the entire bumber. I can see why post-factory install will require a lot of labor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered hitch as a factory option for $499. I am only planning to use it for bike carrier (or maybe borrow friend's trailer to bring garden bark once a while). However my driveway is curvy hill, so I can't really see myself going in/out without jackknifing and hitting the bumper with the trailer.

I can't see a connection between bumper cover & hitch. I have such cover on '16 Forester and no hitch. It's just black plastic cover on top of the bumper.

I looked Forester hitch OEM install manual. Seems like a big process involving removal of the entire bumber. I can see why post-factory install will require a lot of labor.
Thanks for the info. At the auto show, I recall one of the Subaru reps explaining to my dad that the hitch cover could be easily removed to expose the receiver and then replaced when not towing. I was wondering if that was what "Bumper Cover" was referring to but the explanations above make much more sense.

If the hitch truly can be installed at the factory I would MUCH prefer that. I will talk to my salesperson about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did even though I'm not sure I'll need it. Liked the idea of saving costs if I do need one eventually and my salesman mentioned that it will help resale..

·
Administrator
7,800 Posts
I can't answer your question Patrick but in the event someone stumbles on this thread wanting to know more about the hitch:

My findings show that it is a Class III. The maximum tongue weight for the Ascent Premium and higher is 500lbs which means you can put the recommended 10% of the vehicle's maximum 5000lb capacity on it.

Janner -- I was surprised to see you comment it has a 7-pin as well. The information I see on cars101 lists it as 4-pin. If I recall correctly my dealer only mentioned 4-pin as well. Where were you seeing that info?
Cars101 is often very very wrong. For instance, they're very wrong on the AWD power split as well. The Subaru information says 4 pin and 7 pin.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My source was a picture of an email texted to me:

"I got an answer from accessories. It's going to come standard with a 4 pin and 7 pin connector according to corporate. It will also have a place for a third party controller if necessary. " From David Airington, District Parts and Service Manager D-2.

That was my best attempt to get accurate info. Who knows if it is right. :)

·
Administrator
7,800 Posts
My source was a picture of an email texted to me:

"I got an answer from accessories. It's going to come standard with a 4 pin and 7 pin connector according to corporate. It will also have a place for a third party controller if necessary. " From David Airington, District Parts and Service Manager D-2.

That was my best attempt to get accurate info. Who knows if it is right. :)
As of the latest material, it's correct. Some place here or in one of the FB groups, I posted pretty much the same info from SoA. It's also in some of their online material.

·
Registered
168 Posts
To chime in on the OPs original question, that price quote for the factory installed hitch seems crazy high! At most you should pay the msrp price listed elsewhere in this thread and others: $499
The costcoauto.com Ascent page shows both invoice and retail prices for accessories too. I know Berman is including accessories at invoice cost. So the trailer hitch is $374. Not amazing but enough to help me make the decision.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The costcoauto.com Ascent page shows both invoice and retail prices for accessories too. I know Berman is including accessories at invoice cost. So the trailer hitch is $374. Not amazing but enough to help me make the decision.
thanks for sharing that. I knew the invoice pricing would come out at some point on the accessories. Yah, Berman sold the accessories at invoice price but not everyone will be so lucky. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I ordered my Ascent Touring along with the hitch (0C7).

My dealer quoted me $895'ish (I don't have it right in front of me) for the hitch installed. When I look at cars101, I see the hitch is a $499 option. My understanding is this is factory-installed. Is there really an installation charge?

Also, does the hitch require the Rear Bumper Cover (0BZ)? Actually, what is the Rear Bumper Cover?

Lastly, how difficult is it to change a pre-order? For example, I want to add the bumper cover to an order I placed Tuesday.
Keep in mind that port adds are technically not factory adds. So if you're ordering from an area covered by SNE / SDC, those distributorships may have a different price for the accessory. My price sheet still shows it as $499.

For those that don't know, Joe Spitz (the guy who runs Cars101) also sells Subarus, like I do. So his information is typically pretty darned accurate, because he can see the same things I can. It's just that (like with the remote start) Subaru can change their minds - and sometimes does... :)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts

I'm thinking the same, but I'm concerned about the exhausts pointing straight back and melting carbon bikes. see: https://enve.app.box.com/s/h0d1na9e3rgep5c5wjny2ugq666xlahx

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting! Seems like the carrier would have to be pretty low. My Curt hitch and Yakima HoldUp 2 on my 2012 Outback is low but doesn't seem to come anywhere close. And the Ascent's hitch is so much higher, it should really only be an issue for particularly low-hanging carriers. I guess if I had a setup that put my wheel near the exhaust I would get one of the extensions mentioned in the Hitch Height thread I started.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Years ago I had Toyota Tercel and had a bike rack which hooked to the trunk. Exhaust indeed melted a tire on my mountain bike.

I will have see different hitch racks to make sure that neither frame nor tires are near exhaust.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts