Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and Hi to All.

I always like Subarus but never own one. I own a 2008 Mazda CX-9 and it's time for a change. I'm doing some research about the Ascent, love it lines... has some similarities with the old CX-9.

Reading online including this forum my concern is regarding the CVT transmission. I read in other website that JATCO is the manufacturer of the CVT transmission of NISSAN and SUBARU.

Is this true? I haven't found any other website to confirm this information.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
685 Posts
jatco has been making them for Nissan and Subaru fro quite a while. They are under Nissan's umbrella if I am not mistaken. The CVTs mostly. The 5EAT that is in my 2005 and 2006 is a Jatco unit designed for the G cars and used in the Titan Truck and cube van. It's a perfect mate (after tuning) to the 2.5H4T. I love it, the best transmission I have ever owned. One of the top 5 I have ever driven.

·
Registered
965 Posts
JATCO used to make some of our geared transmissions.

The CVT's are made effectively by us. Where the confusion comes in is that they were made by another subsidiary of Fuji Heavy. But in 2017 FHI changed its name to Subaru, Corporation. So that ends up confusing things a bit.

Keep in mind that if you purchased a Polaris ATV, it was likely to have an engine by Subaru in it. It would have a engine by Robin, which is a Subaru subsidiary.

And, of course, there's always the lawnmower with a Subaru engine in it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I believe Subaru worked with Schaeffler to design their CVT. Subaru uses Schaeffler's chain and pulleys.

https://www.schaeffler.us/CONTENT.S...heibensaetze_sv/VariatorScheibensaetze_sv.jsp

https://www.schaeffler.com/remoteme...loads_11/schaeffler_kolloquium_2010_09_en.pdf

Also this is interesting, Schaeffler is selling (or will be selling) replacement chains to the aftermarket now. So maybe in the near future, Subaru CVTs can be repaired instead of being replaced.

https://www.schaeffler.de/content.s...eleases/press_releases_detail.jsp?id=82027906

·
Registered
66 Posts
There have been shops that do repair Subie CVT's. If you look up MRT Performance on Youtube he even has a couple of clips of tearing down a CVT for a rebuild.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Stay away - I just traded my Subaru Ascent - Bad transmissions.
In eight days, you went from happily owning a 40,000 mile Ascent, to this morning saying it chirps (which is normal), to announcing you traded it in, mere hours later?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Our transmission is a solid, proven, TR690. The TR690 has been in service, in one form or another, for ten years (as of this month - happy 10 year birthday, TR690!!!).

It is a CHAIN driven CVT (belts are VASTLY different and cannot handle as much torque). It is a Subaru built and designed CVT. Schaefler likely supplies chains and possibly pulleys as Carl mentioned. Subaru Corporation (formerly named Fuji Heavy Industries) who is Subaru of America's parent company, makes the entire Lineartronic line (TR580 and TR690), and is one of the four major CVT manufacturers in the world. They only make CVTs for their own brand (Subarus).

Here's a list of CVT manufacturers. It's old (2014) but relatively still up to date. You'll see other CVTs by others, but, keep in mind, while Subaru exclusively uses CVTs in their automatics, the rest mostly use geared transmissions. Toyota is #3, IIRC, followed by Subaru/FHI.

https://www.marklines.com/en/report_all/wsw0012_201408

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Stay away - I just traded my Subaru Ascent - Bad transmissions.
When was the build date of your vehicle? Is this something that was part of the first bad batch that had issues? I am in no way an expert but merely asking if I should be concerned for my own vehicle since your comment seems to be ‘looking out’ for the rest of us and making us aware not to commit any longer to this vehicle. My build date is 02/2019. Much help is appreciated. So far I haven’t had a single issue and love this beast, but I also only have about 4.5k miles. Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
When was the build date of your vehicle? Is this something that was part of the first bad batch that had issues? I am in no way an expert but merely asking if I should be concerned for my own vehicle since your comment seems to be ‘looking out’ for the rest of us and making us aware not to commit any longer to this vehicle. My build date is 02/2019. Much help is appreciated. So far I haven’t had a single issue and love this beast, but I also only have about 4.5k miles. Thanks.
Probably May 2018 or so. His chirps are normal and a well known "phenomena" of the TR690.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Probably May 2018 or so. His chirps are normal and a well known "phenomena" of the TR690.
No pun intended but sounds good to me. Until there are issues going to treat it the same way it has treated me and that is what love. Leaving this vehicle and entering another will not increase the assurance that nothing will happen in the next vehicle. So I guess it’s a waiting game.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
No Issues with the transmission

Touring with 2500 miles. Have not had a single issue with the transmission. The fake shift points don't bother me, I keep the RPM between 2000 and 2500 while accelerating and I don't notice the shifting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts