• No, Concerned about voiding the engine warranty

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • No, Leaving well enough alone

Votes: 60 46.2%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't see myself getting a tune for the Ascent,it's a family mobile. I have an E46 M3 for that! :grin:

·
Registered
357 Posts
thought about it but I would rather keep it stock, I have a STI and a GTO to have fun in.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see myself getting a tune for the Ascent,it's a family mobile. I have an E46 M3 for that! :grin:
thought about it but I would rather keep it stock, I have a STI and a GTO to have fun in.
This is what I would suspect is the case for many here. I don't think the tuning market is large as people think.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have drove two different ones and both seemed to have plenty of power and get up and go, for what the car is intended use is, but that is just my opinion. Now when mine finally decides to show up and I get some serious seat time I may change my opinion but at the very least I would wait till 36k.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost 80 views...

NO VOTES???

Do I need to change the choices? I am more interested in how many people...are not interested. If I saw 150 No votes. 1 or 2 tuning votes, that would make sense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Who is planning on tuning their Ascent?

Who are the providing the tunes? Will this be remote tuners, pro-tuners, or canned tunes?
Need to get an Ascent first but no plans to tweak anything. Now if the stock tune is causing problems & there is a reliable alternative then sign me up. (Tried poll but not working for me)

Edit: Poll did not highlight my choice but if you tap it & hit vote it goes through. Simple enough...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just replied no.

I will likely not own an Ascent for many years. Only to add to my turbo collection of family haulers. I will certainly tune it then.

You click 1st on your choice and then click vote now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
...a simple Cobb Stage 1 Protune will work for me. There's obviously power left on the table a simple Protune on 93 will likely be night and day. Just using the ost Cobb Stage 1 on my '12 Legacy was eye opening :/ of the torque gains...once I went Stage 2 plus a Protune I'm definitely not going back. I don't plan on going that far w/the Ascent though, I just want to wake it up a little.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...a simple Cobb Stage 1 Protune will work for me. There's obviously power left on the table a simple Protune on 93 will likely be night and day. Just using the ost Cobb Stage 1 on my '12 Legacy was eye opening :/ of the torque gains...once I went Stage 2 plus a Protune I'm definitely not going back. I don't plan on going that far w/the Ascent though, I just want to wake it up a little.
I am looking forward to what COBB put on the table. I mention Extreme Racing Tuning, Ed is a COBB pro-tuner. In fact he is working to develop maps that influence the CVT that COBB doesn't have available in their software to him as a tuner. 3.6R and 2.0T applications. Once you get the AP, Ed is the man. He also will crack the ECU (I expect, with interest) and tune the ECU via the tactrix. COBB might be easier, once COBB gets their offering on the table.

XRT tuning + COBB AP might very well be the holy grail. If I know my ... Ed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's a no for me. I went down that road in my 2015 Forester XT, a full Stage 2 build. It was a lot of fun, and WAY faster than stock, but for the Ascent, I'm more focused on long term reliability. I'm not worried about the motor, but I am worried about the CVT when you start pushing more power through it. I added an aftermarket CVT cooler to my XT, and thankfully never had any issues, but longer term, I wonder how that 300hp at the wheels would affect the transmission. For a new model, I'll ride it stock, and watch others do the experimenting this time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I will consider it down the road if the gains are worth it. I feel like there has to be a decent bump available with a tune for 93 gas. I am currently plenty happy with the peppiness around town compared to our minivan we got rid of.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't even understand what tuning is.... lol

:grin: TUNE

:plain: NO TUNE

I did however vote now since this will be the wifes car and she wont let me do fun things with it, and before anyone says it I have been caught before not gonna try that again.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:grin: TUNE

:plain: NO TUNE

I did however vote now since this will be the wifes car and she wont let me do fun things with it, and before anyone says it I have been caught before not gonna try that again.
Yeah, don't mess with your wife's car. It's funny, what's yours is hers and she exercises that. But don't mess with your wife's car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Im definitely interested to see someone push the limits if they have the resources. Usually great things come from people breaking down walls plus that could lead to aftermarket parts that everyone could benefit from. I personally would invest in a protune if the option was available. A tailored tune to iron out the generic factory isn't a bad thing

·
Registered
304 Posts
A tailored tune to iron out the generic factory isn't a bad thing
Added emphasis here. Knowing who is doing the tailoring is more important than the tailoring itself. I know how to tune...but I have absolutely no business doing it. There are shops out there that fall in the same category as me unfortunately. I've seen plenty of STIs on a flatbed after taking their car to someone who isn't familiar enough with tuning, or just simply not familiar enough with the particular car/ecu/situation that they're tuning.

I advise anyone here to adapt the "measure twice, cut once" philosophy to getting your ECU tuned, find the right guy, and then go look for a better one. Learned that the hard way several years back and had a brand new STI disintegrate a couple pistons. Found out the tuner had the AFR leaned out on tip-in (rather than retarding timing and adding fuel to get the turbo spooling quicker). Data logs showed the knock sensor was losing its **** (due to the lack of fuel resulting in excess heat and perhaps some less than ideal fuel from the road trip i was on) for about 2 seconds before i lost the #2 and #4 pistons.

It all could have been avoided by just finding someone more qualified (that car always had problems...kicked myself for not taking that car from NC down to TopSpeed in Atlanta...but it was cursed from the beginning.)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.