Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I've had my Ascent since July 2018 (24K miles) and I am still on the original battery.
You and me representing July 2018! They must’ve had some good batteries come thru that time period (mine was built 6/18)

· Registered
200 Posts
Apr 4th 2019, took ownership. I avoided many of the battery pitfalls. no kids to leave dome lights on!
I turn off lights before I turn off engine, get the engine started before I start adding electrical loads.
28K miles, mixed city/hwy, 22mpg average

· Registered
432 Posts
07/18 build, received in Oct. 5/18, just over 6000 miles. Since mileage is so low, I hook it up to a trickle charger every month or so to keep it full. Keeping lead-acid batteries fully charged all the time is the key to prolong their lives.
But you know what is better than constant charge is an inconsistent charge. You know run it. It's better to have a battery go up the lose some of there charge.Then get some sharge

· Registered
2019 Ascent Premier
48 Posts
2019 Ascent bought in Jan/2019. 62K kms, 4th Canadian winter and original battery running strong (multiple knocks on every reachable piece of wood around).

It’s probably a combination of a good batch of batteries from the supplier and the fact that I try to avoid very short drives during winter time.
So far so great!

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,287 Posts
I will update that I chose to replace my original battery a few weeks ago. It was still working acceptably but the cold crank was noticeably not as good as desired, especially with cold weather coming. I opted for an Interstate Type 35 AGM from Costco ($159) and the install took maybe ten minutes with just a simple 10mm wrench. I was at just over 30K and four months shy of three years. The new one is 100 CCA higher rated than the OEM.

· Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
...it would take me longer than 10 minutes to FIND a 10mm wrench. @Jim_in_PA are you saying you have one of those just lying around?

47k miles and almost 3.5yrs, my oem battery is still cranking strong. That AGM you bought at costco looks like a great price!

· Administrator
13,190 Posts
...it would take me longer than 10 minutes to FIND a 10mm wrench. @Jim_in_PA are you saying you have one of those just lying around?

47k miles and almost 3.5yrs, my oem battery is still cranking strong. That AGM you bought at costco looks like a great price!
That's why I buy 10 packs. 😉
(not joking)

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,287 Posts
Um...yes. Two sets plus ratchet in both regular and long lengths. Actually, three sets. I forgot there's a set that lives in the cubby in the back of my Ascent for, um...emergencies. Aside from my minimal touching of anything automotive, my Kubota is all metric as are most of my woodworking tools. :) I prefer metric and use that for my woodworking, too, when I have the choice...since the business is shut down, that's pretty much 100% of the time other than some home improvement stuff.

Reactions: TheRaven

· Registered
185 Posts
'19 Premium here, bought new in Jan. '19. We're at ~65,000 miles and still on the original battery. In Michigan. With our winters. We even ran the battery stone dead once by leaving it at the airport for a week with a dome light on...like over a year ago. Still going strong almost exactly 3yrs after buying the car.

· Registered
92 Posts
Bought our 2019 Ascent in March 2019. First battery failed in August 2020. Second battery failed two months later, in October 2020. Both times dealership did some testing and said there were no problems with parasitic draws.
After the second battery replacement the service mgr. made clear to me the car had to be driven more often. Everything seemed OK until last week, when the battery was stone cold dead 5 days after being driven around town for an hour or two. I realize stop-and-go city driving isn't the same as a trip down the interstate, but this is ridiculous.

Oh, BTW, our 2000 Forester's original battery lasted 13 years. And you could leave the fob in the car when garaged. Progress marches on...

· Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Well it’s been several months since I updated my part of this thread. I’m at 56k and just passed my 4yr anniversary with the oe battery. At this point I think I’m going to be replacing my rear brake pads before the battery. knock on wood
Any other ‘19’s out there on the original battery?

Reactions: Jim_in_PA
61 - 80 of 107 Posts