Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were stopped and second in line in a left turn lane tonight waiting for the green arrow. There was a white chevy cargo van to my right in the straight-thru lane with it's back wheels about even with the front of our Ascent. The left turn arrow came on and I started accelerating watching the car in front of me. The guy in the van decided he had to turn left RIGHT NOW! And gunned it to move into the small space between our car and the one in front of us. My wife yelled "watch out" and by the time I got my foot on the brake peddle and started braking, Eyesight had stopped us. I probably could have stopped before hitting the van but it would have been close.

Thanks Eyesight!

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Great to know! Do you know if eyesight detects pedestrians and cyclists?
The manual says it can detect pedestrians and that it requires the head and torso to be in plain view. I haven't had a chance to test that yet...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a kid run across the road in front of me once, and EyeSight activated. Also, I could have sworn I saw a little running stick man show up in the warning box. I could be wrong, as it happened so fast, and maybe I was seeing things. But that's what I thought I saw at the time.

I am not sure if EyeSight or my foot hit the brake first. But it was definitely a close call.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You were lucky. Good to hear it worked for you. I had a guy squeeze in front of me, didn't see him, slammed on the brakes. I was disappointed eyesight did t see that.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The manual says it can detect pedestrians and that it requires the head and torso to be in plain view. I haven't had a chance to test that yet...
You have a wife? Do you have any kids that need some discipline? Ever heard of a tackling dummy? I am just kidding. It just sounds funny, you haven;t had a chance to test it .... yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had a few situations in 1500 miles that made me very happy I have Eyesight. One was a car that turned in front of us suddenly leaving a restaurant. The driver took a big risk misjudging the distance. The collision avoidance system worked as expected but I don’t think I would have been able to stop on my own.

Ditto with the RAB. I had a long van beside me and I backed out slowly completely blind and the lights blinked as a car passed by at high speed way over the speed limit.

The only thing I have found a bit aggravating is the Lane Keep Assist. I find it extremely “twitchy” on the road, correcting every minor deviation. It makes the steering feel somehow unstable. Turning it off felt much better in terms of normal steering response. It also reacts oddly on curving roads. I also ran into a situation where a road was newly paved and no lines had been marked, only stand up road reflectors. I had to turn it off.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Eyesight "judges" the possibility of a collision...

You were lucky. Good to hear it worked for you. I had a guy squeeze in front of me, didn't see him, slammed on the brakes. I was disappointed eyesight did t see that.
Eyesight doesn't respond to being cut off. It only responds to the possibility of a collision.

• If the guy cuts you off and is going the same speed or faster than you, Eyesight may do nothing because it's calculated it to be impossible to crash into a vehicle moving away from you or maintaining distance. ACC, on the other hand, if enabled, may intervene and slow you down until it's re-established what it thinks is an appropriate distance (based on the distance setting currently active in conjunction with the speed).
  • If a guy cuts you off going slightly slower than you, Eyesight seems to try to determine how long you need to react, and it reacts (or doesn't) accordingly. Eg: if you're going 55mph and someone cuts you off at 54mph, and Eyesight thinks it would take 15 seconds for you to catch up because of the minor speed difference, it may decide to hold off on doing anything. If you do nothing as well, at some point, when you're scarily close, it will intervene.

On a very related note, that massive grill (vertical distance from ground) and hood make vehicles seem a lot closer than they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts