Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Ascent three weeks ago and drove it off the lot with 3 miles on it. Now with 550 miles on it, I opened the hood for the first time and found this white substance all over the felt on each side of the engine compartment. What is it? It had of been there when I bought the vehicle. I have done no off roading, just simple to work and home commuting. It looks like battery sulfation. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
have you been through a carwash? i recall someone posting a while back about seeing something similar and they narrowed it down to soap residue that didnt get washed out from a carwash

·
Registered
965 Posts
Only carwash was at the Subaru dealership when I bought it.
Only carwash was at the Subaru dealership when I bought it.
Residue from soap.

Even if the dealership hand washed it (that's a crap shoot - our dealership does do hand wash, other dealership in town uses a pull through car wash), it's also possible that the hood may have been 'popped' open from when they stripped the diapers from it. High pressure water from the spray when they were rinsing it would cause the same thing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Residue from soap.

Even if the dealership hand washed it (that's a crap shoot - our dealership does do hand wash, other dealership in town uses a pull through car wash), it's also possible that the hood may have been 'popped' open from when they stripped the diapers from it. High pressure water from the spray when they were rinsing it would cause the same thing.
I foam my car, and lastly rinse with high pressure sprayer....soap residue gets under hood on the felt...now I open hood and gently riinse off felt areas...all is good afterwards....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has the same thing. It is not soap scum sice I have hade it through 3 different car washes and there was never any water in those areas. I have cleaned it off twice and it mysteriously reappears. Dealer has no idea but offered to replace the pieces under warranty. If I was a chemist.......

·
Registered
814 Posts
Same issue here,the dealership had no explanation but offered to replace them.They actually shipped them to my house and I installed them myself. I cleaned the original ones using bleach and a brush which seemed to work.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Same issue here,the dealership had no explanation but offered to replace them.They actually shipped them to my house and I installed them myself. I cleaned the original ones using bleach and a brush which seemed to work.
You can easily clean them yourself or ask the dealer with a solution of bleach. Lots of comments in earlier posts on this subject going way back into 2019.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I find the deposits quickly disolve in plain water from a hose. It took a couple of rinse/dry cycles to get rid of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I clean the white deposits with interior wipes/engine degrease wipes, but the deposits keep coming back. Has anybody found a permanent solution to cleaning these white deposits? I have a 2020 built in December 2019. Has Subaru solved this problem since then?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I clean the white deposits with interior wipes/engine degrease wipes, but the deposits keep coming back. Has anybody found a permanent solution to cleaning these white deposits? I have a 2020 built in December 2019. Has Subaru solved this problem since then?
The problem are deposits... they vary per area. Subaru can't do much about that. I cleaned mine with GTechniq All Purpose Cleaner, and never cleaned them again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts