Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Folks

I'm wondering if your ascent also have white fume when it starts. My dealership says it is normal for ascent (turbocharged). However it is not moisture rather than it is just a gasoline fume.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
17 Posts
Hi, Folks

I'm wondering if your ascent also have white fume when it starts. My dealership says it is normal for ascent (turbocharged). However it is not moisture rather than it is just a gasoline fume. View attachment 13606
My Ascent does burn off condensation which has a white color appearance and is totally normal. It initially caused me some concern when I first noticed it because I thought it was lasting longer than I thought it should but I don't think twice about it anymore. Gray/blue smoke is typically oil and dark or black color smoke is typically a very rich fuel mixture. I question the gasoline fume explanation because I think you would smell gas vapor but I'll defer to those with more Subaru turbo engine experience than I have. Just my opinion from your picture but I think you are burning off condensation in your exhaust system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Ascent does burn off condensation which has a white color appearance and is totally normal. It initially caused me some concern when I first noticed it because I thought it was lasting longer than I thought it should but I don't think twice about it anymore. Gray/blue smoke is typically oil and dark or black color smoke is typically a very rich fuel mixture. I question the gasoline fume explanation because I think you would smell gas vapor but I'll defer to those with more Subaru turbo engine experience than I have. Just my opinion from your picture but I think you are burning off condensation in your exhaust system.
John, Thank you for your reply! Agree with you that car is burning off condensation in the exhaust system but, it still has quite gasoline fume and not really pleasant because the smoke quickly fill my small garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Folks

I'm wondering if your ascent also have white fume when it starts. My dealership says it is normal for ascent (turbocharged). However it is not moisture rather than it is just a gasoline fume. View attachment 13606
I have the same white cloud of smoke every now and then. I brought it to the dealer and they also told me it was normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same white cloud of smoke every now and then. I brought it to the dealer and they also told me it was normal and nothing to worry about.
Thanks, Azuz123 for the confirmation! Ascent is a bit more gaser than I thought.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,120 Posts
Cold exhaust will indeed smell very much like gasoline because the car is running very rich when cold. This is the case with every gasoline-powered car I've owned. We also have a Honda Ridgeline and Acura MDX and both are pretty stinky when cold. As long as the white "cloud" is truly white and then turns clear...rather than a thick white/grey/blue smoke that hangs in the air...you can consider it to be normal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi, Folks

I'm wondering if your ascent also have white fume when it starts. My dealership says it is normal for ascent (turbocharged). However it is not moisture rather than it is just a gasoline fume.
Greetings,
You'll find a lot of threads about this kind of thing. I'm of the mind that people have experienced different things, some more serious than others.

I've experienced a white fume that I'm pretty sure is not water vapor. Have you by chance checked your oil level and found it to be high?

In my case, I would sometimes (not always) get a pretty big fume when I started up in the morning. I've never seen it any other time. And I've only seen it when parked overnight on the street, which lends a slight sideways slope to the car downward toward the passenger side. I also noticed that my oil level was high- well above the full line. (I need to have a discussion about that with the service department.) Furthermore, my perception was that the white cloud worsened after my last oil change.

So I recently got an oil extractor and removed about 2/3 quart. The level is still just a bit over the full level. Since then, it seems that the frequency and severity of the white fume is much diminished.

More knowledgeable people than me can (and perhaps have in other threads) offer an explanation. I just note from my experience that the white smoke seems exacerbated by having too much oil and parking on an incline relative to the longitudinal axis. (For what is it worth, I have a 2019 limited.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have this issue and I have read several others with it as well. Ours will do it sporadically. Mostly after a long drive. Anytime of day. Lots of smoke and not condensation. We also noticed the oil level was high. Took it in they drained it and replaced to level and next day it was high again. Read up on it and you will see this happens to others. Ours has been in and out of the dealer since June for smoke. We are currently going on almost 3 weeks of it in the dealer and this is the last chance before lemon law kicks in. Subaru had an engineer out to look at I today. So we will see.
Oh should add they did find Replace in the PCV can help in some instances they had another I sent in end it works for them but when they were placed or is it did no good both of these a sentence or 2019 models. Ours did not start smoking until it hit about the 5000 mile mark this year some of started right off the bat. It’s definitely not normal and if the dealers telling you that it’s probably because I don’t wanna deal with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Folks

During the start up the car's choke is automatically put in the on position which increases the air to fuel mixture. After the engine is warm, the choke goes to the off position and the normal air to gas ratio is activated. THIS IS NORMAL FOR ALL GAS CARS with an automatic choke. No worries.

·
Registered
12 Posts
During the start up the car's choke is automatically put in the on position which increases the air to fuel mixture. After the engine is warm, the choke goes to the off position and the normal air to gas ratio is activated. THIS IS NORMAL FOR ALL GAS CARS with an automatic choke. No worries.
For many of us this is not normal. Mine will smoke when it’s 105 outside and for 5 minutes. Not normal. It would not pass smog in California like that. Mine has been at the dealer over 3 weeks and engineers are looking at it to decide what can be done. They know for many relaxing the PCV fixes it but not all. Mine is one of those.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or speaking in layman's terms, but that's for 2-stroke engine. What EFI engines have is called open-loop (cold) vs close-loop (warm) mode. During cold start, the tail pipe is likely more enriched with higher fuel mixture constantly because the sensors are not working at that time to give feedbacks to lower the fuel mixture.

For many of us this is not normal. Mine will smoke when it’s 105 outside and for 5 minutes. Not normal. It would not pass smog in California like that. Mine has been at the dealer over 3 weeks and engineers are looking at it to decide what can be done. They know for many relaxing the PCV fixes it but not all. Mine is one of those.
In the Porsche flat engine world, like Subaru, smoke start up for about 20sec is normal. It's an inherited problem because the head of combustion chamber is sitting so close to the oil sump. And if there's a PCV issue on flat engine, it can be very problematic compare to engine that sits more upright (e.g. Inline-4 or V6). The issue can some time be exaggerated if you park on an inclined. I'm not saying your car is normal, I'm just addressing the nuance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ha sorry tha
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or speaking in layman's terms, but that's for 2-stroke engine. What EFI engines have is called open-loop (cold) vs close-loop (warm) mode. During cold start, the tail pipe is likely more enriched with higher fuel mixture constantly because the sensors are not working at that time to give feedbacks to lower the fuel mixture.

In the Porsche flat engine world, like Subaru, smoke start up for about 20sec is normal. It's an inherited problem because the head of combustion chamber is sitting so close to the oil sump. And if there's a PCV issue on flat engine, it can be very problematic compare to engine that sits more upright (e.g. Inline-4 or V6). The issue can some time be exaggerated if you park on an inclined. I'm not saying your car is normal, I'm just addressing the nuance.
[/QUOT

sorry should have read replacing pcv. That is what they are having the service department’s do first. Yes ours does it more often on incline or after long drive. But does it on flat land and short drives too. Also oil level fluctuates which is strange. They have had our ascent long enough to see the problem themselves and told me “there is definitely a problem this is not normal”. They just aren’t sure what the next step will be. I have read some have had engines replaced. Some have been bought out of their car. This is their last chance to fix it here due to lemon laws so they are taking their time to make sure they get it right. Either way I just want my car. I love the ascent. I realize these things happen. I know plenty of others with no issues.

·
Registered
220 Posts
TreyT,

Choking mechanisms come in many varieties … most four cycle engines with carbs also have some form of increasing the amount of fuel relative to air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts