Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone experience whistling noise at freeway speeds? Test drove one today for purchase...and I noticed it...the sales person also was puzzled and was theorizing it could be due to the cross bars...
Not sure what might cause it, I had the moon roof inner cover pulled all the way back but the moonroof itself was closed. This one had the panoramic moon roof...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Could be lots of things causing a whistle like a small air leak. Sometimes they are easy sometimes hard to find. I think I would either have them fix it before I buy (easy)or pass. Good chance to find out if the service department is any good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Crossbars probably. My Traverse does the same thing. Only on the highway when you have enough airspeed to make a difference

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Did anyone experience whistling noise at freeway speeds? Test drove one today for purchase...and I noticed it...the sales person also was puzzled and was theorizing it could be due to the cross bars...
Not sure what might cause it, I had the moon roof inner cover pulled all the way back but the moonroof itself was closed. This one had the panoramic moon roof...
Improperly installed crossbars will definitely do that. I've seen quite a few installed backwards. The thick edge faces the wind. I've also seen a leaf stuck in a door opening, trim piece or hood cause it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Improperly installed crossbars will definitely do that. I've seen quite a few installed backwards. The thick edge faces the wind. I've also seen a leaf stuck in a door opening, trim piece or hood cause it.
Cool thanks! Once I get mine...I will post a pic...hope you can tell me if if its right...if not I will switch it around :)

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Cool thanks! Once I get mine...I will post a pic...hope you can tell me if if its right...if not I will switch it around :)
I actually did a vid, because I'd seen so many as I drove around (but, I will gladly check it out when you're done).

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premier
46 Posts
When I bought mine in January mine also did that and it was the front crossbar. I removed the front one to make a test and the noise disappeared completely.
I left the back one installed in part for laziness and part because having only one installed made it really easy to find spot the car in busy parking lots ?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
When I bought mine in January mine also did that and it was the front crossbar. I removed the front one to make a test and the noise disappeared completely.
I left the back one installed in part for laziness and part because having only one installed made it really easy to find spot the car in busy parking lots ?
If you get bored, and want to do a test, try putting it back on with the thick Edge facing forward, and see how it sounds. Mine are silent. I have seen dealers installed one the proper direction and one the opposite direction, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Could be a lot of things. If you can, try to have a passenger locate the general location of the noise by listening out of various windows.

I has such a whistle on my Forester when it was new that drove me crazy. It turned out to be a misaligned driver's side door which the dealer fixed. I never had it happen again for the next 10 years with that car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 touring and it currently is at Subaru for the third time because of this noise. I do not have cross bars, the moon roof, hood, and doors have been checked. They are now exploring the striping/seals around the windshield. I hear it going 70-80 mph on the drivers side. I knew it would be a bit of a ride to try and figure it out! I can post an update if or when we get it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts