Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
800 miles in and everything was peachy until this morning when I drove out the driveway and stepped on the gas a bit and heard this whirring sound I havent heard before. I know that sound wasnt there before because I was just amazed how almost noiseless it was to drive the ascent, windows on and AC on the lowest fan. The noise was present everytime I accelerated from stoplights today. Not much to no whirring noise when accelerating further from fast speeds. You guys experienced this yet? What am I having? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe you're hearing the turbo spin up now.

IDK how loud the turbo is on the Ascent. When I test drove one, I didn't hear it, but I wasn't gassing it, either. I heard it all the time on the WRX, for a comparison.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hearing the same engine noise at around 800miles. Looks more like the engine is struggling to produce power. Not sure if it's turbo or if it's something else

Shine

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have 11000 miles so far on it. Heard whirring this morning when i drove out the driveway. heard it for about a third of a mile, only going 20mph. But the car had a hard time getting speed. Pushed the accelerator and instead of the usual engine noise, heard this loud whirring with not much get up. Had to press down on the accelerator much more than usual to get up to 20mph.

It was so noticeable that our 8 year old in the back seat asked what the noise was.

Also when i turned on the car i noticed the rpm was 2,000 at idle, in park.

The whirring went away, i parked for five minutes doing an errand. Got back in and no whirring. Car engine is warmed up by then, so maybe the whirring has to do something with the engine warming up. it was 63 degrees outside. Two hours later took the car out again and no whirring.

What is up with the 2,000 rpm? Anyone else getting it this high in park after turning it on? I think the high idle speed right before putting it in drive and getting the whirring is related.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Have 11000 miles so far on it. Heard whirring this morning when i drove out the driveway. heard it for about a third of a mile, only going 20mph. But the car had a hard time getting speed. Pushed the accelerator and instead of the usual engine noise, heard this loud whirring with not much get up. Had to press down on the accelerator much more than usual to get up to 20mph.

It was so noticeable that our 8 year old in the back seat asked what the noise was.

Also when i turned on the car i noticed the rpm was 2,000 at idle, in park.

The whirring went away, i parked for five minutes doing an errand. Got back in and no whirring. Car engine is warmed up by then, so maybe the whirring has to do something with the engine warming up. it was 63 degrees outside. Two hours later took the car out again and no whirring.

What is up with the 2,000 rpm? Anyone else getting it this high in park after turning it on? I think the high idle speed right before putting it in drive and getting the whirring is related.
Wow, 11,000 miles? I have some catching up to do. That aside, that sounds weird. For all experiencing this, I'd have the cars checked out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
All i know is my Legacy would buck every cold morning when it was new for about 4 blocks and then it just went away after it had about 10,000miles on it.
Maybe the CVT just needs to be broken-in??

·
Registered
61 Posts
uggh, meant to say 1100 miles. just happened the first time this morning. we are going in for a strut replacement this week so will talk with them about this noise as well. perhaps it is normal, and i did not let the engine warm up enough. but then again it was 63 degrees out and i have never worried before about engine warm up when it is in the 60s.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
uggh, meant to say 1100 miles. just happened the first time this morning. we are going in for a strut replacement this week so will talk with them about this noise as well. perhaps it is normal, and i did not let the engine warm up enough. but then again it was 63 degrees out and i have never worried before about engine warm up when it is in the 60s.
I'm just hitting 5,600 miles, give or take. I just came back from a 900 mile trip into upstate NY, a hundred or so miles south of Canadia. I spent a bunch of time driving in 50°-65° temperatures, as I did two weeks before (45°-65° temps) in the Adirondack High Peaks area, and have never experienced this, even with pushing the car up the mountains just to show off.

So, I don't think it's the cold. I've never waited for the car to warm up.

If you can record the sound, that may help them out, assuming you have a safe way of doing that while driving.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had a similar noise on my Ascent one Sunday morning. I drove two streets over so I didn't really notice anything as far as the drive was concerned but I've never been able to duplicate it for my service guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a similar issue, one during startup it revved very high with a whirring noise. Sometimes appears during acceleration up hills between 1000 and 2000 rpm. CVT? it was parked.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Could be the CVT. When I am in AUX mode on my Outback (I don't have streaming bluetooth, car's too old!) and the volume is 20 or higher, I can hear a whirr when I accelerate.

Doesn't mean there's a problem. Just figure it's the way it works. I can minimize the sound by lightly applying the acceleration.

Curious, if you turn off the radio, is the sound still as prevalent?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have noticed this as well when first getting in the car on days were it is very humid. Today was one of those days. It takes around 1 minute before the sound goes away. My Nissan Xterra did something similar and if I had to guess it has something to do with moisture and temperature outside. I figured this was normal so i wasn't concerned at all I just take it easy until the engine temp rises and the sound goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like turbo whine to me. I’ve heard mine a few times but most of the time it is drowned out by other noises. I love the sound of a turbo.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like turbo whine to me. I love the sound of a turbo.

We had a 1990 Legacy wagon. In fact it also was a very early production unit of that new model from Japan. I think we might have gotten the first white one in the US. I recall the transmission had a definite turbine whir when it was moving. Sounded a bit like a quiet jet engine under the hood. No complaints here.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I posted this in the 'Random Mystery "Tock" Sound' thread as well. There are two different sounds being addressed in the video and one of them is a "whirr" sound I've also been noticing on our Ascent.

Is this the whirring noise you guys are talking about?

I'm hearing this whirr and the tock noise at least once while we're out driving. I also thought maybe it had something to do with the turbo but it doesn't happen all the time. Someone mentioned maybe the CVT?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You should wait a few minutes for the turbo to warm up after you first start the engine and you should idle for a few minutes after stopping the vehicle to let the turbo cool down a bit, after spirited driving - that is the recommendation on the STI and WRX. Maybe the Ascent turbo is a little different. Just doing city driving should not cause a problem, but hard acceleration puts a lot of strain on the turbo.

"Not necessarily a long drive, but one that has seen the turbo get very hot. Don't shut down the engine immediately when coming to a halt if the last thing you did before that was climb up a hill or flog the car around a track. You want the turbo to return to an ordinary temperature before shutting down the engine, which will also shut down the flow of oil and water."

·
Registered
73 Posts
You should wait a few minutes for the turbo to warm up after you first start the engine and you should idle for a few minutes after stopping the vehicle to let the turbo cool down a bit, after spirited driving - that is the recommendation on the STI and WRX. Maybe the Ascent turbo is a little different. Just doing city driving should not cause a problem, but hard acceleration puts a lot of strain on the turbo.

"Not necessarily a long drive, but one that has seen the turbo get very hot. Don't shut down the engine immediately when coming to a halt if the last thing you did before that was climb up a hill or flog the car around a track. You want the turbo to return to an ordinary temperature before shutting down the engine, which will also shut down the flow of oil and water."
What would be a safe waiting interval after starting the engine and after coming to a halt?
If you start again after a brief halt, while the engine is still warm, should one still wait?

·
Registered
597 Posts
What would be a safe waiting interval after starting the engine and after coming to a halt?
If you start again after a brief halt, while the engine is still warm, should one still wait?
If the engine is still warm you should be fine. Really what they say for the Turbo is true for any car you really shouldn't accelerating hard right after startup or be revving it like crazy just before turning it off. What is really great about having a 4 cyl engine is that it heats up much faster than a 6. My Xterra would take a solid 10 minutes to warm up and if it was really cold out a lot longer. I find the Ascent warms up within about 3 minutes. I'll be very curious how quickly I can get the heat working as my WRX seemed to have heat within a minute after starting the engine and driving it below 3.5K RPMs to start.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts