Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginner's mistake. Can someone take a photo for me and let me know which wire to the battery is the +? I'm changing the battery and forgot to make a note of it with the old battery. The wire leads do not have markings on them.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Unless something is really amiss, there should be a red plasticy cover on the positive side that you place over the connection once it's secured.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
That's the problem. There's no red plastic cover.
My plastic cover is one bad bump from falling off too 😂
Let me know if the above description helped. If not I can go outside and get a pic

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Photo below I just took for you...and that red cover is important. If it's missing, you need to replace it.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Beginner's mistake. Can someone take a photo for me and let me know which wire to the battery is the +? I'm changing the battery and forgot to make a note of it with the old battery. The wire leads do not have markings on them.
the positive will go to the starter and the negative goes to ground, either to the engine block or the frame the positive is most time red but not always. there hasn’t been a positive ground American car in years and only some British imports are still backwards. you want to put the positive on first and take it off last. also put the ground on the engine block on the dead vehicle not on the battery. the battery is highly flammable and will go BOOM if you get a big spark

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the positive will go to the starter and the negative goes to ground, either to the engine block or the frame the positive is most time red but not always. there hasn’t been a positive ground American car in years and only some British imports are still backwards. you want to put the positive on first and take it off last. also put the ground on the engine block on the dead vehicle not on the battery. the battery is highly flammable and will go BOOM if you get a big spark
Yikes! OK I guess I did it correctly. PHEW!!! I'm still alive I had no fires lol. Thank you for everyone's help!.

BTW, the new Odyssey battery fits pretty well. The only tiny issue is the battery hold down is a little too big for it but there's an adjustment via the tightening screws so it's all good. Heck, even the battery insulator fits like a glove! I'm looking forward to no more dead batteries!

Oh, last thing. Subaru was kind enough to send me a check for the entire $317 to cover the cost of the battery.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yikes! OK I guess I did it correctly. PHEW!!! I'm still alive I had no fires lol. Thank you for everyone's help!.

BTW, the new Odyssey battery fits pretty well. The only tiny issue is the battery hold down is a little too big for it but there's an adjustment via the tightening screws so it's all good. Heck, even the battery insulator fits like a glove! I'm looking forward to no more dead batteries!

Oh, last thing. Subaru was kind enough to send me a check for the entire $317 to cover the cost of the battery.

View attachment 4207
that's great. Now you just need replacement a red and black boot. Seriously though, I would suggest if you have not done so already to apply the protective coating to the terminals and then the boots. it will keep the corrosion at bay.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
that's great. Now you just need replacement a red and black boot. Seriously though, I would suggest if you have not done so already to apply the protective coating to the terminals and then the boots. it will keep the corrosion at bay.
And I wouldnt go nuts on it. Apply the grease on the underside of the terminal where the gas is seeping thru the post terminal. Don't grease the terminal, for obvious reason.

I would drive it w/o the cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.