Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering an Ascent as our TV for a Little Guy Mini Max and I am wondering which of the safety systems should be turned off when towing. I assume that the Lane Keep Assist should be turned off, but what about Reverse Auto Braking, Blind Spot or Lane Departure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got almost 8k miles pulling a boat trailer (7.5' wide 5' high) and have never had the Blind Spot Detection give a false warning, maybe a bigger rig might be a problem but mine works flawlessly. The Lane Keep Assist is too sensitive (or maybe I'm just a sloppy driver) so it's been off since about the 1k miles point. I've disabled the reverse alarm and just turn the RAB off when I need to back up with the trailer attached. I love my Ascent Touring.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
There’s been discussion on what causes RAB to automatically disarm but I don’t believe any consistency has been found. You can turn it off manually of course via the touchscreen to prevent that embarrassingly noisy halt while backing.
LKA should be disabled as stated in the previous post due to the potential for extra sway.
BSD is dependent on the width of your trailer. I pulled a friend’s hauler that set off the BSD constantly, but a camper I rented caused no issues.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
RAB and LKA. BSD I just ignore any false positives.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I usually leave LKA off all the time, for towing I just turn off the parking assist and RAB when they pop up on the screen. I occasionally get the BSD going off when turning, but never while towing straight on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a dump trailer with a battery & hydraulic box on the front, along with the front of the bed. That wall of metal there triggers the RAB if I don't turn it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.