Subaru Ascent Forum banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I changed to Castrol GTX Magnatec 0w-20 and have seen a boost in performance in both my cars 19 Forester and 17 Impreza. Great oil and cost effective price on Amazon

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
I could've missed it but is there somewhere that people are posting their blackstone analysis results? I decided to send in a sample at 30K mi and I'm just curious how it stacks up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I could've missed it but is there somewhere that people are posting their blackstone analysis results? I decided to send in a sample at 30K mi and I'm just curious how it stacks up.
Let us know the results here!

Life-time oil changes here, so whatever my dealer puts in it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Be curious to see the results @ 4,750mi before the big jump to every 6,000mi Subaru and every other manu have made.

EDIT: Interesting, looks like 4,750 has been MY dealer's interval - not Subaru's. They have typically been every 7,500mi on most of the newer Subarus (actually since as early as like 2010.) That's a LONG time to go on oil on a turbo charged vehicle. Obviously 6,000mi is Subaru's official interval for the Ascent and other FA24DIT models.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^ It's obvious it was time for an oil change, lol. Lots of metal in that oil.
Iron isn't that bad. The oil has a good dosage of Molybdenum (anti-wear). I've seen worse on VW's & Audi's.

The better sign is paying extra for TBN analysis. But there are other companies that don't nickel and dime you for testing, and Blackstone's fuel dilution number is useless, since it is not tested directly, it is estimated from viscosity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Iron isn't that bad. The oil has a good dosage of Molybdenum (anti-wear). I've seen worse on VW's & Audi's.

The better sign is paying extra for TBN analysis. But there are other companies that don't nickel and dime you for testing, and Blackstone's fuel dilution number is useless, since it is not tested directly, it is estimated from viscosity.
That's what I've been repeatedly saying previously in other threads. Look up "UOAs" thread under "Maintenance". My screen captures of the UOAs are long gone after the forum "upgrade" but it seemed there wasn't much interest here for UOAs so I didn't bother reposting them nor updating with more recent UOAs.

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
46 Posts
I think twice before using some oil, as I think the car work depends much on the oil quality. I drive WRX 2016, and I read a lot to find the oil for it. I saw this article Top 7 Best Oils for Subaru WRX - carfluidsexpert.com about motor oil for subaru wrx, and decided to follow the experts' recommendation. Think it can be useful for you too.
Decided to buy Subaru oil and will stay with it ,Subaru engineers spends time in lab and I will trust them..;)
Like all Subarus this one will like all OEM too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just noticed that Idemitsu has a new(er) line of motor oil (as of May 2020). The baseline oils states that they exceed SP/GF-6 standards (GF-6 Standards | Idemitsu Lubricants). It includes statement of reducing LSPI/TGDI.

"Across the line, Idemitsu Fully Synthetic GF-6 Engine Oils provide more than three times (3x) better protection of engine parts at low-temperature starts over GF-6 standards and up to 21% greater engine wear protection, even under extreme conditions. Low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) events are reduced by 91% over the new GF-6 standards."

The new spec is of course backward compatible with API SN Plus and ILSAC GF-5. Anyone have any experience or additional info on this new line? I was originally thinking about ordering 5qts of the ZEPRO (non-molly) but then came across their new line of oil. I just purchased a 5qt jug of the Idemsitu 0W20 SP/GF-6 on Amazon for $25 for my first oil change on my 2020 Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
I just noticed that Idemitsu has a new(er) line of motor oil (as of May 2020). The baseline oils states that they exceed SP/GF-6 standards (GF-6 Standards | Idemitsu Lubricants). It includes statement of reducing LSPI/TGDI.

I just went to purchase some oil this morning and saw the zepro stuff I’ve been using is basically discontinued. It only comes in 0w-16 now.
Just to confirm, is the idemitsu 0w-20 sp/gf-6 stuff good for our engine?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
72 Posts
Any opinions on Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 0w-20?

I have used the 5w-20 in my Honda and Ford for years.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,440 Posts
If the lubricant meets or exceeds the minimum specifications set by Subaru, there's no issue using it. The devil is in the details. If I were going to do my own oil changes (it will never happen...) I'd use Kirkland from Costco.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW guys, there's a guy out on Youtube (PROECT FARM) that tests all kinds of things. This guys is one of the best testers out there and he is very methodical and thorough in his testing. He did a really interesting set of tests with motor oils. I subscribe to this guy because he tests so many things and it amazes me. With that said, his oil tests were very well done and Pennzoil and Amsoil were pretty much the top of the heap. I won't tell you who won the tests, only that I'll be switching to Pennzoil from here on out.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
If the lubricant meets or exceeds the minimum specifications set by Subaru, there's no issue using it. The devil is in the details. If I were going to do my own oil changes (it will never happen...) I'd use Kirkland from Costco.
Costco had 0/20 full synth (dexos II compliant) on special a few days ago; 2 X 5L jugs for $26 which is a great deal.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
FWIW guys, there's a guy out on Youtube (PROJECT FARM) that tests all kinds of things. This guys is one of the best testers out there and he is very methodical and thorough in his testing. He did a really interesting set of tests with motor oils. I subscribe to this guy because he tests so many things and it amazes me. With that said, his oil tests were very well done and Pennzoil and Amsoil were pretty much the top of the heap. I won't tell you who won the tests, only that I'll be switching to Pennzoil from here on out.

I love the bacon grease and banana-as-oil tests.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts