Subaru Ascent Forum banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Tried this with Moly, ZEPRO Idemitsu but I am switching back to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W 20 for 9 dollars more I just had success with my Forester XT. Also use WIX filters for both of my cars. Anyone one else try the Moly version, I did notice a very vibration free idles at lights. Tks
Understand but is there a person for switching back? Did it perform well?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
117 Posts
For non-turbo motors I would not hesitate to go with the base Idemitsu 0w-20 which is the oil the dealers have for everything if you ask for Subaru oil. I did purchase the base oil for $19.96 a jug for my new Impreza and most likely will use the Zepro for my Ascent.
I'm almost 4000 miles into the Idemitsu 0W-20, the Non-ZEPRO variant, and it still looks nice and hasn't consumed any at all. I do agree that if I were to continue using Idemitsu, I would go with the ZEPRO stuff instead of what I used. I've had no issues with it but it's not SN Plus rated and Subaru could use that excuse if anything were to go wrong.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm almost 4000 miles into the Idemitsu 0W-20, the Non-ZEPRO variant, and it still looks nice and hasn't consumed any at all. I do agree that if I were to continue using Idemitsu, I would go with the ZEPRO stuff instead of what I used. I've had no issues with it but it's not SN Plus rated and Subaru could use that excuse if anything were to go wrong.
I just looked at the specs of the non-Zepro oil on Idemitsu's web site and it meets or exceeds normal specs. This is what you get when you buy Subaru oil at the dealer why would Subaru balk at that. Perhaps the ZEPRO is a step up but it's not apples and oranges.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just looked at the specs of the non-Zepro oil on Idemitsu's web site and it meets or exceeds normal specs. This is what you get when you buy Subaru oil at the dealer why would Subaru balk at that. Perhaps the ZEPRO is a step up but it's not apples and oranges.
Well that's good to know, just wish they put it on the bottle that way. Heck even the Amazon Basics oil touts its AN Plus rating. Of course in Idemitsu's case it wouldn't make for proper marketing if the non-ZEPRO also said AN Plus. Who knows, I think a lot of oil marketing is a bit of snake oil sale tactics. I didn't research Idemitsu past some folks saying it's the Subaru OEM oil. I to believe if it was garbage Subaru wouldn't be using it. So I used it, and it seems to be solid. Getting it tested I think will prove that as well.
I did do tons of online research regarding many other brands and that's when I ran across the Pennzoil Platinum stuff. It performed well in testing and I like that it's manufactured from natural gas, kinda neat technology and science there. That research was a result of not wanting to use Mobil 1 any longer as my 2015 Forester consumed it. I also ran across numerous other users claiming similar issues. So since I was up on an oil change I quickly searched what Subaru uses and came up with Idemitsu. After that I began further researching and will try out the Pennzoil Platinum with the next oil change.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well that's good to know, just wish they put it on the bottle that way. Heck even the Amazon Basics oil touts its AN Plus rating. Of course in Idemitsu's case it wouldn't make for proper marketing if the non-ZEPRO also said AN Plus. Who knows, I think a lot of oil marketing is a bit of snake oil sale tactics. I didn't research Idemitsu past some folks saying it's the Subaru OEM oil. I to believe if it was garbage Subaru wouldn't be using it. So I used it, and it seems to be solid. Getting it tested I think will prove that as well.
I did do tons of online research regarding many other brands and that's when I ran across the Pennzoil Platinum stuff. It performed well in testing and I like that it's manufactured from natural gas, kinda neat technology and science there. That research was a result of not wanting to use Mobil 1 any longer as my 2015 Forester consumed it. I also ran across numerous other users claiming similar issues. So since I was up on an oil change I quickly searched what Subaru uses and came up with Idemitsu. After that I began further researching and will try out the Pennzoil Platinum with the next oil change.
I will be interested in the test results if you are doing that. Agree with the snake oil comment. As I said before if you follow the severe mileage conditions (3750, 3 months) you could use any oil IMO and be golden.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It performed well, but did seems to burn off some and fuel economy dropped. But also drove through Midwest Polar Vortex up to -50 temps so that could be the reason. Just not sure if some Moly in the oil is safe, anyone chime in? If it is safe I might stick with it. I actually have one more 5 gallon jug to try so I report back with more mild temps. Pennzoil has been flawless in my XT. Another reason was the price of Pennzoil on 0W is expensive.

Understand but is there a person for switching back? Did it perform well?

·
Registered
646 Posts
It performed well, but did seems to burn off some and fuel economy dropped. But also drove through Midwest Polar Vortex up to -50 temps so that could be the reason. Just not sure if some Moly in the oil is safe, anyone chime in? If it is safe I might stick with it. I actually have one more 5 gallon jug to try so I report back with more mild temps. Pennzoil has been flawless in my XT. Another reason was the price of Pennzoil on 0W is expensive.
Interesting, my sons 14 Forester according to him burned off some(I gave him a jug of ZEPRO) same with Mobil 1. His Forester seems to be picky and likes Valvoline at the moment. The Zepro does seem thin to the touch compared to other 0W-20 choices.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Get it from Wal-Mart, it's pretty cheap for such a well regarded product.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pack-P...thetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/468328290?selected=true
This is for the Platinum 3 pack, hard to beat. I don't see the need for the Ultra Platinum, but that is definitely more expensive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Get it from Wal-Mart, it's pretty cheap for such a well regarded product.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pack-P...thetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/468328290?selected=true
This is for the Platinum 3 pack, hard to beat. I don't see the need for the Ultra Platinum, but that is definitely more expensive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I also do Pennzoil Platinum - usually Ultra Platinum from Walmart. I usually can find it for about $24 for a 5 quart, and then Pennzoil periodically has $2/quart rebates. Last one was thru 12/31/18, so hopefully another promotion comes out soon. Such a great deal - a few more bucks for a filter and ur done! I just can’t believe folks pay so much more for somebody else to change synthetic oil-craziness!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I also do Pennzoil Platinum - usually Ultra Platinum from Walmart. I usually can find it for about $24 for a 5 quart, and then Pennzoil periodically has $2/quart rebates. Last one was thru 12/31/18, so hopefully another promotion comes out soon. Such a great deal - a few more bucks for a filter and ur done! I just can’t believe folks pay so much more for somebody else to change synthetic oil-craziness!
Oil change on some car can be inconvienent but not for modern Subaru cars (4cyl engines). I usually change oil on 2016 forester during dinner time, takes about 5min.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oil Report

Finally got my oil report back for the Idemitsu 0W/20 and it looks like it held up well. I'm posting my report and will post another one of the Pennzoil Platinum 0W/20 upon changing it a second time. I want to make sure any residual Idemitsu is flushed out with the first change of the Pennzoil Platinum. Hopefully the Pennzoil Platinum proves to be excellent as well. I would be interested to see what other peoples reports look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finally got my oil report back for the Idemitsu 0W/20 and it looks like it held up well. I'm posting my report and will post another one of the Pennzoil Platinum 0W/20 upon changing it a second time. I want to make sure any residual Idemitsu is flushed out with the first change of the Pennzoil Platinum. Hopefully the Pennzoil Platinum proves to be excellent as well. I would be interested to see what other peoples reports look like.
Look up "UOAs" thread under "Service and Maintenance" section. I have FF UOA and a couple VOAs for Toyota 0W20 and Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 that you might find useful as a baseline for your PP 0w20 UOA later. Please post your future UOAs in that thread so we have a common place to look at.

BTW, it looks like you have pretty high fuel dilution too, definitely higher than the 1.3% that BlackStone estimated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Look up "UOAs" thread under "Service and Maintenance" section. I have FF UOA and a couple VOAs for Toyota 0W20 and Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 that you might find useful as a baseline for your PP 0w20 UOA later. Please post your future UOAs in that thread so we have a common place to look at.

BTW, it looks like you have pretty high fuel dilution too, definitely higher than the 1.3% that BlackStone estimated.
Are you basing the fuel dilution comment on the fact the flash point was lower than usual? The vehicle wasn't all the way to operating temperature and that might have contributed to that. Blackstone says to drive the vehicle for like 20 minutes before changing the oil and taking the sample. I wouldn't think they would estimate something like that but rather actually measure the percentage of fuel in the sample. I'll post future reports to the thread you mentioned.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes. Blackstone uses the flash point to deduce/estimate the fuel dilution. They don't actually measure fuel dilution using Gas Chromatography. And they tend to always UNDERestimate it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Non-Zepro oil is not formulated to reduce or eliminate LSPI which high HP small turbo engines are known for, but i think the Zepro does have the additives to help prevent this. I think the factory fill on all Subaru's is the Zepro Eco Medalist

As far as 0W-20 oil goes it seems TGMO, Mobil 1 AFE, Sustina, Idemitsu Zepro, Castrol Edge and Motul Eco-Lite are the top players. Not sure if all of them offer LSPI protection though.
TGMO (2017 formula) and Idemitsu Zepro have some of the best flow rates at colder temps and are highly regarded on the Bob The Oil Guy forums and are the 2 I'm sticking with for now. I think the TGMO 2015 formula is not formulated for LSPI

LSPI seems to be caused by blow by entering the combustion camber through the PVC system. Wondering if an AOS system or Oil Catch Can would also help prevent this...

·
Registered
7 Posts
A bit premature but for those of you who will be doing your own oil changes, which motor oil are you thinking about using for the Ascent?

Also @GHP1 had a great question about oil weight - Are you going to use a more robust 5w-30 or stick with the 0w20?

I'm thinking about using Amsoil and havent decided on the weight yet.
Stay with 0w20 oil. These new engines are built with very close tolerances between pistons/cylinder walls, or crankshaft/bearings. That thin (0w) oil is designed to cling to and protect those tight fitting metal parts. In addition, 0w is very helpful for cold climates.

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
46 Posts
i will stick with Royal purple that I so far used it in all four of mine subarus, no problem ..except the little higher price....

·
Registered
81 Posts
All these oils are so foreign to me, I'm used to BMW Castrol, Liquimoly, Royal Purple, or Ravenol - meant for high performance vehicles. Is it overkill to use these types of oils or does the Ascent need something different? I'm guesing once you go to a certain level of oil, it won't matter.
BMW and the European automakers have their own specs, such as LL-01 (which is dead, and superceded by LL-01FE) or LL-14FE+ if you want 0w20 oil. the Fuel Economy oils goes for the lower HTHS that LL-01 used to call for. BMW and the Europeans don't care for API, and sort of follow ACEA but don't really self certify for ACEA.

Or you can go with a LL-17FE to overpay for a Shell (Pennzoil) with PurePlus (Gas to Liquid) technology.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts