Subaru Ascent Forum banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Amazon has 0w-20 Idemitsu for around 26 $ a jug for those who do your own oil changes. I have used it. I appears to be a top branded oil
same here
only they make 3 0W-20

Manufacturer Part Number
30010092-95300C020 (0W-20 Engine Oil SN/GF-5 - 5 Quart $19.96 on sale today)
30010096-95300C020 Eco
30010095-95300C020 Eco Moly

·
Registered
37 Posts
All these oils are so foreign to me, I'm used to BMW Castrol, Liquimoly, Royal Purple, or Ravenol - meant for high performance vehicles. Is it overkill to use these types of oils or does the Ascent need something different? I'm guessing once you go to a certain level of oil, it won't matter.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
same here
only they make 3 0W-20

Manufacturer Part Number
30010092-95300C020 (0W-20 Engine Oil SN/GF-5 - 5 Quart $19.96 on sale today)
30010096-95300C020 Eco
30010095-95300C020 Eco Moly
Whichever states SN/GF-5 Resource Conserving is probably the closest to the one they make for Subaru's Ascent. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
117 Posts
I went with the non ZEPRO Idemitsu and OEM Filter for my first oil change which was performed at around 3,800 miles. Soon I will be switching to Pennzoil Platinum and a Purolator One filter as I believe the OEM ones are cheap FRAM built filters. For the price the Purolator One is far better constructed and meets the specs of the OEM filter.

On that note, I think the OEM unit gets the job done, I just think it's over priced for it's cheap FRAM build quality. If it were built to the quality of the FRAM XG7317, then I would feel better about it, but it's not even to the quality of the TG7317 FRAM. Even the TG7317 still has a cardboard top and bottom retaining the filter media. The Purolator One is well built and I trust it's quality for the price.

Also installed the Fumoto 108 during the first oil change so I'm looking forward to the ease of change the second time around. It was a bit of a PITA to install as one other poster stated earlier. Easy to get into position but super hard to tighten due to the limited space available. In any case, I don't think it's coming out, I got it decently tight. I might have the Idemitsu Oil tested by Blackstone Labs just to see what the results are. If I do I'll be sure to post the results. I am going with 5K OCI's once the Pennzoil goes in, and I might get that tested as well to see how it holds up to a full 5K OCI with summer time temperatures. If it shows little wear, I'll go to the OEM specified 6K OCI.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Whichever states SN/GF-5 Resource Conserving is probably the closest to the one they make for Subaru's Ascent. :tango_face_wink:
All got SN/GF-5 on the back very first line :smile_big:

i just order any one every month if its under $23
by now i have every one of them :grin:

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Resource Conserving

All got SN/GF-5 on the back very first line :smile_big:

i just order any one every month if its under $23
by now i have every one of them :grin:
Not necessarily the same. I should have added this to clarify.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
I went with the non ZEPRO Idemitsu and OEM Filter for my first oil change which was performed at around 3,800 miles. Soon I will be switching to Pennzoil Platinum and a Purolator One filter as I believe the OEM ones are cheap FRAM built filters. For the price the Purolator One is far better constructed and meets the specs of the OEM filter.

On that note, I think the OEM unit gets the job done, I just think it's over priced for it's cheap FRAM build quality. If it were built to the quality of the FRAM XG7317, then I would feel better about it, but it's not even to the quality of the TG7317 FRAM. Even the TG7317 still has a cardboard top and bottom retaining the filter media. The Purolator One is well built and I trust it's quality for the price.

Also installed the Fumoto 108 during the first oil change so I'm looking forward to the ease of change the second time around. It was a bit of a PITA to install as one other poster stated earlier. Easy to get into position but super hard to tighten due to the limited space available. In any case, I don't think it's coming out, I got it decently tight. I might have the Idemitsu Oil tested by Blackstone Labs just to see what the results are. If I do I'll be sure to post the results. I am going with 5K OCI's once the Pennzoil goes in, and I might get that tested as well to see how it holds up to a full 5K OCI with summer time temperatures. If it shows little wear, I'll go to the OEM specified 6K OCI.
Why did you change oil- Idemitsu especially the Zepro is suppose to be a top oil and it's very cheap on Amazon ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
ToolTopia has the MityVac 7201 oil pump on sale for $78.00....maybe overkill for the Subaru but for a family with multiple cars/uses it it may make sense...Pumps oil out & you can then pump it back into the empty 5qt oil jug for disposal.....Easy Peasy...:)
I like the idea of not crawling under the car....

I got the Topsider awhile back, and it works great for me when I change the oil in my wife's Nissan. I'll use it in the Big A too when the time comes.

As for oil, I'll most likely just stick with the Subaru/Idemitsu, or the Penzoil others seem to like. As long as it keeps the car healthy I really don't much care one way or the other, so it'll most likely come down to price at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have been using Fram XG7317 filters which are the Ultra filters from Fram that are rated really well. I started at 3,000 miles then the next at 6,000 miles then my third when the car hit 10,000 miles. I plan on now doing this every 5,000 miles as it is easier to track and I do use my car a little harder at times.

As far as oil I was planning to use Amsoil but the place that sold it near me closed so I have been using Valvoline Full Synthetic.

I also added the Fumoto valve which I can open without lifting the car which is what I was hoping for!

Here is a video of my second oil change when I added the Fumoto Valve. https://youtu.be/8WWCDR47AD0

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
This oil debate is overrated IMO. As long as follow or beat the intervals you should be ok even if you use a off brand that meets the specs

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
0w-20 full synthetic, whichever lowest cost at Wal-Mart. I commonly use Pennzoil, Quakerstate, and Mobil 1 as they go on sale often. I use both OEM and Fram (silver/gray ones) filters in the past.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why did you change oil- Idemitsu especially the Zepro is suppose to be a top oil and it's very cheap on Amazon ?
No reason. I had never used Idemitsu in the past. I used Mobil 1 in my two previous Foresters and my 2015 had a bit of a oil consumption issue that now I know might have been the Mobil 1 I was feeding it. I have heard great things about the Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum and have watched some reviews about them and I like the science behind the product. It's created from Natural Gas and from all accounts I've seen so far, it's some pretty amazing stuff. Also it's super cheap at Wal-Mart, $21.50 per 5 qt. jug when purchasing a 3 pack.

I am probably going to have the Idemitsu oil tested by Blackstone, I have already requested the test kit. I will absolutely report back on the results, and I'm hoping they speak well of the Idemitsu oil. I'm going to pay the extra $10 and have them do the TBN test to determine the amount of additives remaining. This pretty much speaks to the quality of the oil and helps to determine if you can go to 6K OCI's or maybe even more. As long as the TBN is > 1.0 you have oil that is still getting the job done. I'll also have the Pennzoil tested at maybe the second run with it to make sure it has fully worked it's way into the system and isn't mixed with any of the previous Idemitsu oil.

·
Registered
646 Posts
No reason. I had never used Idemitsu in the past. I used Mobil 1 in my two previous Foresters and my 2015 had a bit of a oil consumption issue that now I know might have been the Mobil 1 I was feeding it. I have heard great things about the Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum and have watched some reviews about them and I like the science behind the product. It's created from Natural Gas and from all accounts I've seen so far, it's some pretty amazing stuff. Also it's super cheap at Wal-Mart, $21.50 per 5 qt. jug when purchasing a 3 pack.

I am probably going to have the Idemitsu oil tested by Blackstone, I have already requested the test kit. I will absolutely report back on the results, and I'm hoping they speak well of the Idemitsu oil. I'm going to pay the extra $10 and have them do the TBN test to determine the amount of additives remaining. This pretty much speaks to the quality of the oil and helps to determine if you can go to 6K OCI's or maybe even more. As long as the TBN is > 1.0 you have oil that is still getting the job done. I'll also have the Pennzoil tested at maybe the second run with it to make sure it has fully worked it's way into the system and isn't mixed with any of the previous Idemitsu oil.
Thanks, I just bought a couple of jugs of 0w-20 base Idemitsu for 19.96 of Amazon so I will be interested on how they do

·
Registered
117 Posts

Thanks, I just bought a couple of jugs of 0w-20 base Idemitsu for 19.96 of Amazon so I will be interested on how they do
I would assume you went with the ZEPRO version. I didn't with the Idemitsu I used because I didn't look well enough and simply went with the standard Idemitsu 0W-20. I think I would go with the ZEPRO if I use Idemitsu at some point in the future.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would assume you went with the ZEPRO version. I didn't with the Idemitsu I used because I didn't look well enough and simply went with the standard Idemitsu 0W-20. I think I would go with the ZEPRO if I use Idemitsu at some point in the future.
For non-turbo motors I would not hesitate to go with the base Idemitsu 0w-20 which is the oil the dealers have for everything if you ask for Subaru oil. I did purchase the base oil for $19.96 a jug for my new Impreza and most likely will use the Zepro for my Ascent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tried this with Moly, ZEPRO Idemitsu but I am switching back to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W 20 for 9 dollars more I just had success with my Forester XT. Also use WIX filters for both of my cars. Anyone one else try the Moly version, I did notice a very vibration free idles at lights. Tks

101 - 120 of 160 Posts