Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bit premature but for those of you who will be doing your own oil changes, which motor oil are you thinking about using for the Ascent?

Also @GHP1 had a great question about oil weight - Are you going to use a more robust 5w-30 or stick with the 0w20?

I'm thinking about using Amsoil and havent decided on the weight yet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
A bit premature but for those of you who will be doing your own oil changes, which motor oil are you thinking about using for the Ascent?

I'm thinking about using Amsoil.
I plan on using Amsoil as well. It is only a few bucks more and as I do a lot of city driving and I drive pretty hard I'll stick with a shorter change interval as I think doing it at 3,000 miles will work out for me pretty well. Especially as I already ordered the Fumoto value and the filter is on top of the car.

·
Registered
287 Posts

I'm thinking about using Amsoil.
Just curious off topic question...if you do your own oil changes, will Subaru honors the warranty or the extended warranty? lets say one window is not working and if you take to the dealer with extended warranty period, will they fix it or simply say sorry it's not covered since you didn't do the factory recommended maintenance or you did DIY oil changes?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Nemesis099 - Are you going with the signature series or the standard? I was thinking signature for a moment but I'm probably going to stick with the standard. You already got the fumoto valve? Nice! Mind sharing the model number? I need to pick one up as well.

@pashi266 - For something like a window malfunction, I doubt they would void your warranty since it has nothing to do with the engine/motor oil. For warranty claims regarding the drivetrain, (dont quote me on this) I believe as long as you have documentation that you did do oil changes, the dealer will not void. Unless of course, the dealer is a complete A- hole. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
646 Posts
The other question that came up in another thread is- Are you going to use a more robust 5w-30 or stick with the 0w20

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other question that came up in another thread is- Are you going to use a more robust 5w-30 or stick with the 0w20

Great question as well! I'll edit the original post to include that.

Oops! Is there another thread about this topic? Hope I didnt start a dupe thread.

·
Registered
597 Posts
@scooby Fumoto valve (SKU F105S) was ordered and I'm hoping it fits but I'm still waiting for it to come in. I'm debating on changing my oil at 1,000 miles or waiting till 3,000. Either way it shouldn't be long as I'm close to 1,000 now and I have a long trip coming up at the end of July that will be quite a few miles as well.

I will buy whatever 0w-20 Amsoil oil is available at the local Salvo auto parts store I can't tell what they carry when looking at the website.
@pashi266 they should honor the warranty as long as you can prove you are doing the services. If you have receipts and the oil looks fine they should not be able to deny warranty work. If it is a window that is not affected by the oil and should be no issue at all.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Use an oil that meets the specifcations listed in the owners manual, keep your receipts and records, and you should be fine if anything should fail.

Pennzoil Platinum has proven itself as a quality oil in FA20DIT applications, and it is widely available at a respectable price. I use the 5W30 for my Forester XT (and my STI while it is under warranty), and would probably use the 0W20 formula on the Ascent. There are other quality oils as well (like Amsoil, etc.) just make sure the formulation you use meets the requirements listed by Subaru so that they don't have a loophole to use for a potential warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Best to stick with the recommended viscosity in the owner's manual. Any variation from that could affect your powertrain warranty. These new engines have tiny passages that the oil must reach, thus the 0W-20 requirement. It is not solely to meet the mpg requirements.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Best to stick with the recommended viscosity in the owner's manual. Any variation from that could affect your powertrain warranty. These new engines have tiny passages that the oil must reach, thus the 0W-20 requirement. It is not solely to meet the mpg requirements.
Excellent point. Somebody pointed out 5-30 would be better for turbo longevity

·
Registered
177 Posts
@scooby Fumoto valve (SKU F105S) was ordered and I'm hoping it fits but I'm still waiting for it to come in. I'm debating on changing my oil at 1,000 miles or waiting till 3,000. Either way it shouldn't be long as I'm close to 1,000 now and I have a long trip coming up at the end of July that will be quite a few miles as well.

I will buy whatever 0w-20 Amsoil oil is available at the local Salvo auto parts store I can't tell what they carry when looking at the website.

@pashi266 they should honor the warranty as long as you can prove you are doing the services. If you have receipts and the oil looks fine they should not be able to deny warranty work. If it is a window that is not affected by the oil and should be no issue at all.

I am guessing but I think it might be an F108... I *think* all new Subarus are F108 except the STI (which is an old motor). I haven't put mine on yet but can let you know when I do.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just curious off topic question...if you do your own oil changes, will Subaru honors the warranty or the extended warranty? lets say one window is not working and if you take to the dealer with extended warranty period, will they fix it or simply say sorry it's not covered since you didn't do the factory recommended maintenance or you did DIY oil changes?
Here's a snippet from the FTC website:

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Here's a quick info Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
177 Posts
I ordered the F105 due to a post in another thread https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...n-valve-folks-do-their-own-oil-chnages-2.html

I'm hoping it is the right size but I guess I won't know until I try it out.
I think you might be right.
https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__Ascent/PLUG/63623802/15027AA420.html

Interestingly, If you went to the above, and clicked "what this fits", then you took one of those cars and plugged it into Fumoto's website, fumoto tells you to get an F108 (that is how I got the F108). But the pic above on the Subaru website sure looks like a 20mm.

Here is a 16mm for reference:
https://www.subarupartsandaccessori...MIspf_vdic3AIVia_ICh2edw_4EAQYASABEgK_LPD_BwE

Curiosity got me. I rolled mine up on the ramps. It has a 14mm head. I am 75% sure that's a F108. The F105's have a larger head, like 17mm or 19mm or something.

To further add to the interest... I can't search by VIN on subaru parts website. Only by model Ascent.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What you guys think about the Mobil1 0w20?
Seems to be good stuff. Walmart will have it on sale from time to time. I put some 0w20 annual in my 17 Impreza and it seem to really like it. With the 2.4 DIT I'm also wondering what oil would be best for the turbo application.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Rotella, OEM, Amsoil, others?

I'm sticking with OEM and dealer. I've heard people in Subaru performance forums complain about U.S. branded Mobil1, so, I will not use it. It's nearly the only thing they seem to agree on, lol! Rotella is generally highly regarded as a good option, as is Idemitsu (who makes the oil for Subaru, IIRC).

It supposedly breaks down and sheers a lot quicker than other oils, so, in a turbo Subaru, it's frowned upon.

Some others are liking it:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
There definitely was a time where mobil1 was not well liked in the subaru community. Not sure if they've upgraded the formula but since then I've strayed away from them just to be safe.

Heard nothing but great things about rotella.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The oil debate rages on with no clear winner in sight. I will use Quaker State Ultimate Durability because it is one of the highest rated oils for it's Wear Protection Capability.

Your Subaru engine will not fail because of inferior oil, if you stick with one of the top brands. It certainly will have a head gasket problem before an engine oil failure.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts