Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WHICH ACCESSORY? FOB Based Remote Start vs "Starlink" (MySubaru) remote start

REVISED PART NUMBERS - IF YOUR DEALER TOLD YOU IT'S NOT AVAILABLE, USE THE NEW PART NUMBERS BELOW

There's been some confusion about Ascent Remote Start capabilities. There's two ways to remote start the Ascent... either using the MySubaru app ("Starlink remote start" which doesn't use the Starlink app), or via the remote start FOB.

Here's the details for all the options available to you, including the part number necessary where applicable,

IF you get the remote start kit installed:
  • Remote FOB based start is available on EVERY Ascent (if the accessory is installed).
  • The regular FOBs for the PUSH BUTTON START Ascents WILL remote start your Ascent if the accessory is installed.
  • The regular keyed FOB for keyed start Ascents will NOT remote start your Ascent (thanks @Pleiades)
  • Remote start accessory is NOT required for Starlink (MySubaru app/website) Remote Start.
  • You can have up to 8 FOBs registered with the system - registering a ninth will drop the oldest. (thanks @Pleiades)
(more details below in each section)

Remote FOB based start WILL work with ALL fob types on PUSH BUTTON ASCENTS, BUT only if the remote engine start control module is installed, AND the fobs have been registered with the remote engine start control module. For KEYED start Ascents, only the remote engine start FOB will start the car remotely, BUT, you can add more remote start fobs, for a total of eight.

So, let me clarify...

BASE/PREMIUM KCB11
Remote start on the following trim and option packages is part number H001SXC101 (was previously H001SXC100) and includes a remote engine start control module to work with the the long range remote start FOB on the keyed ignition vehicles. Only the remote start FOBs can start the car (the keyed FOB cannot).
  • Base (KCA/01)
  • Premium (KCB/11)
Install Manual:
https://subaru.oemdtc.com/AccessoryInstallationGuide/H001SXC100.pdf

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ALL OTHER PREMIUMS/LIMITED/TOURING

Remote start on the following trim and option packages is part number H001SXC001 (was previously H001SXC000)and includes a remote engine start control module to work with the keyless FOB and the long range remote start FOB on the keyless pushbutton start vehicles. ALL FOBs can start the car. Also, be aware that the car will NOT shut off when you open the door. Simply press the start button to engage the gear selector and enable driving.
  • All Premium except Package KCB/11 as mentioned above)
  • All Limited
  • Touring
The accessory part number H001SXC001 is the exact same component drawings, BUT in the install guide's System Power Up, it shows access FOB instead of key.

To start the car using the REGULAR FOB, simply press "LOCK" normally twice, then press it a third time and hold it until the car beeps at you.

Install Manual:
https://subaru.oemdtc.com/AccessoryInstallationGuide/H001SXC000.pdf

STARTING WITH STARLINK APP
Starlink Remote Start does NOT require the remote engine start control unit, but requires:
  • electrical system found in Subaru Global Platform
  • push button start
  • Starlink Security Plus subscription
That means that Starlink Remote Start via the app is limited to the following (because of the push button start requirement):
  • All Premium except Package KCB/11
  • All Limited
  • Touring

You will have TWO key types, not all three, depending on what trim level, option package and accessory you have.

KEYED START (KEY and LONG RANGE REMOTE START FOB)

1574797017933.png

PUSHBUTTON START (FOB WITH HIDDEN KEY and LONG RANGE REMOTE START FOB)
(your key is hidden in the regular FOB - press the metal square on the back and pull the keyring)

Here's a video demonstrating a regular FOB that's been linked to the Remote Start Engine Control Module starting my Ascent on a pushbutton start Ascent.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey all, there's still some questions about remote starting the Ascent... read my post above for all your answers and then some. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks Robert! This is a really well done and informative post. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
306 Posts
  • electrical system found in Subaru Global Platform
  • push button start
  • Starlink Safety Plus subscription
Starlink Safety & Security Plus are required. Safety Plus is Auto Collision Notification, SOS Emergency Assistance, and Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Service Scheduler, Maintenance Notifications, Health report, Diag Alerts. 3 Year Trial, $9.95/mo or $99.95/year (after trial)

Security Plus is Remote Start w/ Climate Control, Vehicle Alerts (boundary, speed, and curfew alert), Stolen Vehicle Recovery, remote locks/horn/lights, alarm notifications, and vehicle locator. 6 Month Trial, $4.95/mo or 49.95/year after trial.

Security Plus requires Safety plus. Total monthly cost after both trials would be 14.90/mo or 149.90/year at full rate pricing.

Intro pricing for Security Plus purchased at dealership when taking delivery of your Ascent or within 6 months.
  • 3 Years: 74.95 (Includes free period of Safety Plus)
  • 4 Years: 149.90 (free period of Safety plus has expired)
  • 5 Years: 224.90
  • 6 Years: 299.90
  • 7 Years: 374.90
Non-Intro Pricing:
  • Monthly: 14.90
  • 1 Year: 149.90
  • 2 Years: 224.90
  • 3 years: 299.90

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started my Ascent with the Starlink app this morning. Went out and got in my car and the engine did’t shut off like my Outback did. Went I tried to go my ignitation was locked up and wasn’t able to shift to go. I had to go to the Starlink app on my phone and stop the engine. Is this normal?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I started my Ascent with the Starlink app this morning. Went out and got in my car and the engine did’t shut off like my Outback did. Went I tried to go my ignitation was locked up and wasn’t able to shift to go. I had to go to the Starlink app on my phone and stop the engine. Is this normal?
On my Ascent Limited with push button start, the engine stays running when you unlock the door and get in. After closing the door, press the brake pedal and press the Start/Stop button. The shifter will unlock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When use the Starlink app to start your Ascent, you have to use the app to shut off the engine before you start it. The engine stays locked up until you shut it off with the app or the time limit runs out. Even putting on the brake and pushing the start button does nothing and you can not shift until you actually turn off the engine with the app.

·
Registered
643 Posts
When use the Starlink app to start your Ascent, you have to use the app to shut off the engine before you start it. The engine stays locked up until you shut it off with the app or the time limit runs out. Even putting on the brake and pushing the start button does nothing and you can not shift until you actually turn off the engine with the app.
Since I am old with a short memory, I just double checked this again and for the second time today I remote started with the app, got in pressed the brake and start button, got a chime and the message "ready to drive" on the display. The shifter was unlocked and the motor was running the whole time. Maybe yours works differently.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I see in the installation instructions that a programming tool is needed which would make DIY expensive. Can someone please give me an idea of the installed cost for the remote start on the Touring?

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see in the installation instructions that a programming tool is needed which would make DIY expensive. Can someone please give me an idea of the installed cost for the remote start on the Touring?
$400-650 for parts and installation, depending on dealer. Get it factory installed for the lowest price, if you haven't already gotten your car.

Personally, I am thrilled I got it, even though I have the highest Starlink subscription paid for, for the next seven years.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks. My car is already on the way. I will look into having it dealer installed. Hopefully they will be closer to the $400 end. If I pay for with the car then it will fall under the car warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up my Ascent this week, my first Subaru.

I feel like an idiot not realizing that the Limited that I purchased did not include remote start as a base feature. I mean the thing has cameras that keep me in the lane but it doesn't have 1990s technology that is a base feature on nearly any other vehicle out there? Seems pretty absurd. I did sign up for 3-years of the package that allows me to start from my phone but I was shocked that I couldn't start from the keyfob.

Also, I live in Michigan. Why aren't dealers ordering this as a base feature or do they not understand either?

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Revised part numbers

Hey all, if your dealer has told you that the remote start module kit is not available, go back with THESE revised part numbers. The part numbers recently changed...

BASE/PREMIUM KCB11:
H001SXC100 becomes H001SXC101

ALL OTHER PREMIUM TRIMS, ALL LIMITED AND ALL TOURING:
H001SXC000 becomes H001SXC001

And, if ever any of you run into problems like that in the future, reach out to me on my FB page (see sig) and message me, and I will get you the info you need.

(and I have updated my original post)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just picked up my Ascent this week, my first Subaru.

I feel like an idiot not realizing that the Limited that I purchased did not include remote start as a base feature. I mean the thing has cameras that keep me in the lane but it doesn't have 1990s technology that is a base feature on nearly any other vehicle out there? Seems pretty absurd. I did sign up for 3-years of the package that allows me to start from my phone but I was shocked that I couldn't start from the keyfob.

Also, I live in Michigan. Why aren't dealers ordering this as a base feature or do they not understand either?
The key fob start requires a bypass module for the other security features. the app merely starts the engine without disengaging the security features. I don't really see an issue with using the app, even here is Florida where we use remote start for cooling not heating. The app works really well and does't require a cumbersome fob.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The key fob start requires a bypass module for the other security features. the app merely starts the engine without disengaging the security features. I don't really see an issue with using the app, even here is Florida where we use remote start for cooling not heating. The app works really well and does't require a cumbersome fob.
It's not quite a bypass module. It's actually more.

Also, you don't need to carry anything extra. The new, redesigned regular fobs work fine. I've only used the dedicated start fobs for testing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's not quite a bypass module. It's actually more.

Also, you don't need to carry anything extra. The new, redesigned regular fobs work fine. I've only used the dedicated start fobs for testing.
I wasn't aware they finally added that functionality into the standard remote, the pictures of the accessory show a separate fob.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,539 Posts
I wasn't aware they finally added that functionality into the standard remote, the pictures of the accessory show a separate fob.
I believe that the feature can be used with the standard fob as long as you are within its range, although I don't know what the keypress sequence is personally. Longer than that, you need to use the dedicated fob which goes a few hundred feet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can anyone confirm the procedure for shifting into drive after using Starlink for remote engine start? Get in, push brakes, push ignition start/stop (doesn't stop engine?), shift? Or does it require turning the whole engine off via app or waiting for the delay to end? This seems ridiculous and counterintuitive if so.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Can anyone confirm the procedure for shifting into drive after using Starlink for remote engine start?
I can only confirm for STARLINK, not for a fob remote starter. After starting, get in, press brake and press start/stop once. After that it will let you shift and drive like normal. The engine remains running the whole time.
It’s so much less intuitive than having a key to put in the ignition but it does the same thing.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts