Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to find out if there are some All Terrain tires that fit the Ascent Touring that's good for off-road and also have the 3 peak Winter emblem on them.. something not too noisy on the highway? Do any tires like this exist. I thought I recall someone saying their A/T's had the 3 peaks emblem and they were quiet on the highways.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Here's my experiences:
  • Kumho Road Venture AT51
    The Kumho Road Venture AT51's, when they have decent amount of tread (the siping doesn't go all the way through) are amazing in snow up to the bumper, and in sub-zero weather. Driven them during road closings in blizzards that dumped feet of snow in -10° weather. They are very noisy between 30,000 and 40,000 miles of wear (if you wear like me - figure at the 60-80% worn mark).

• BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2
    SOME of the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's (NONE of the DT version are suitable for snow - all of the rest are). These are beastly tires, but, surprisingly very quiet, as far as all terrains go. They're also surprisingly heavy, and I think only the 17" comes in a stock width and diameter, meaning getting one of the three 17" rims that clear the Ascent calipers and is load rated high enough to carry the Ascent. They are also the absolute strongest tire you can get for the Ascent in stock circumference/width (as of when this comment was written).

• Continental TerrainContact A/T
    The Continental TerrainContact A/T is good, but not great in snow. Not as good control as anything else I've used on a Subie (though, better control than the Kumho Road Ventures in their last 15,000 miles). This is the quietest all terrain tire I've used.

• Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
    The original Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S which wasn't 3PMSF (just M+S) were better in snow than the Continental TerrainContacts (not because the TerrainContacts were bad, but because the Geolandars were really really really good). Though those are discontinued, I bring that up because the replacement Geolandar A/T G015 is 3PMSF rated, so, I would expect it to be better than the Geolandar A/T-S series they replaced. I've regularly used the old Geolandar A/T-S in sub zero, blizzard and unplowed conditions. The G015 is a bit more road friendly, but should do nearly as good, especially since it's actually 3PMSF rated.
Skipping the KO2's, which I just got, all of the ones I've used have exceeded 50,000 miles. The Contis and Yokos probably would have hit 65,000. The Kumhos were "done" at a little over 50K.

There are various other options, but those are the ones I have personal experience with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second the Yokohama Geolandar G015s as great tires. They are very quiet on the road for an A/T tire and excellent in the snow, so far. I have only had them 2 months, so I expect the noise to increase a little bit. I also have the P265/60r18 size with a 2" lift. Other tires I considered were the Pirelli Scorpion AllTerrain Plus (3PMSF at this size). They are getting rave reviews on many other vehicles. I did not go with them due to the weight difference. They were 8 pounds more a tire. Up there with the BFGoodrich K02s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts