Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'll be going on my 3rd battery for a 2019 car. All I do is drive it, nothing connected to the ports, no phones getting paired, etc. Get in, start it, drive to places, come home, and off and that's that. Driven each day this week, nothing unusual, yet this am it's dead. Happens every few months, and makes for a nervous owner.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
Very much not normal. I'd definitely have it checked out.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
Your first battery was obviously oe

Was your 2nd battery the same oem battery?

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
540 Posts
Your first battery was obviously oe

Was your 2nd battery the same oem battery?
I think Subaru is "Penny wise and pound foolish" in their selection of OEM batteries. My 2017 Sonata Sport Turbo (a much less expensive car) came OEM with a 760 CCA (SAE) AGM battery. When I passed it on to my GF at 46K miles, I replaced the battery with a new equivalent Interstate AGM from Costco just for drill. Nothing was wrong with it and I saved it to use in my boat or one of my old cars.

The Ascent OE battery is I believe only a 530 CCA, flooded lead acid. The Ascent has a much higher electrical load with moon roof, lane keep, eyesight, etc. The Ascent's battery went dead on me once while doing a 15 minute map update with the engine off. I always carry a jump pack, so I wasn't stranded, but if it does it again I'll call Starlink and have them send out a service truck. If this happens more than once, perhaps SoA will authorize upgrading the battery. Costco has a Group 35 Interstate AGM for about $160.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
@Packard8 maybe the moonroof is the culprit. My premium did not come with that option. I’ve now had my oe battery for 56k mi and 4years, 8days. I’ve only killed the battery once and that was completely my fault. Maybe more cca would help, or maybe there’s inconsistencies at play.

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
540 Posts
@Packard8 maybe the moonroof is the culprit. My premium did not come with that option. I’ve now had my oe battery for 56k mi and 4years, 8days. I’ve only killed the battery once and that was completely my fault. Maybe more cca would help, or maybe there’s inconsistencies at play.
I rarely use the moon roof, so I doubt it figures in. I was surprised that just a map update would kill the battery. This seems to be an endemic issue with Ascents, in fact, on Facebook, there is a "Subaru Ascent Dead Battery Club"o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
This seems to be an endemic issue with Ascents, in fact, on Facebook, there is a "Subaru Ascent Dead Battery Club"o_O
It’s the inconsistency of the battery problems that confounds me.

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe that there are several contributors to the battery issues that so many Ascent owners have had.
  1. The battery is probably of poor build quality from the supplier. Mine was split around the top half of the case and was badly warped.
  2. The battery is way too small for the electrical load it has to work with. Additionally, many owners use their Subaru for exactly what Subaru wants them to use it for. Family trips, camping, dog hauling and general outdoorness/family fun, which can put quite a load on batteries. My comparably equipped Volvo came with an 850 CCA battery from the factory while Subaru is at 530 CCA. Bazinga.
  3. Software...Subaru has had trouble with software on the Ascent in general. Poorly written code has caused owners a lot of grief with the lift gate drawing power even when it is not in use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2019 Ascent Premium went through three batteries, now on its fourth. I got the vehicle very cheap from the original owner at one year and less than 10K miles because he was fed up. Subaru replaced the third battery a month after I bought the car, but since then it hasn't given me any problems. Maybe they found a better supplier.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,652 Posts
Looks like I'll be going on my 3rd battery for a 2019 car. All I do is drive it, nothing connected to the ports, no phones getting paired, etc. Get in, start it, drive to places, come home, and off and that's that. Driven each day this week, nothing unusual, yet this am it's dead. Happens every few months, and makes for a nervous owner.
This issue has was known and fixed years ago.

1- have your dealer replace the hatch module. There had been a service bulletin on this a long time ago.

2. Either advance search or PM Robert Mauro to ifentify the battery he installed. There are other very good batteries that will work in the Ascent, but that one is the most robust. Call SOA and tell them the situation, open a case and tell them they will reimburse you for purchasing the battery which you will provide to the dealer to install. They have dobe thise with many owners already.

3- i have posted somewhere on the site a good video on how to find a drain. The fealer obviously should certsinly be familiar with the process. It takes time but it is standard practice. This has been a known issue and as long as ypu broughtvthis isdue up during your warranty period it should be covered.

4- this is no longer an issue with Ascents. You have not mentioned any of this work had been done on your vehicle so it hss the original known problem which had a simple fix.

5- get them to give you a loaner.

There is no reason to fret about this given how any owner of the early model had been taken care of by SOA.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
ither advance search or PM Robert Mauro to ifentify the battery he installed. There are other very good batteries that will work in the Ascent, but that one is the most robust.
The following batteries are Northstar's Commercial line, and are designed to provide engine-cranking pulses in excess of 2250 amps for 5 seconds AND can handle 400 charge-discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge - that makes them ideal for overlanding, continuous draw applications, or super-high burst draw applications (like my big 9,500 pound winch). They are also sold under the Odyssey EXTREME series (ODX series).

NOTE: The Odyssey PRO Series (ODP Series) is CONSUMER grade - skip it.

Group 35 (OEM Size):

Group 24F (larger, and the absolute most powerful battery that fits in an Ascent without modification):
OR (same battery, different color scheme, same company)
IMPORTANT NOTES:

• To run the Group 24F battery, you will need a group 24 battery tray to replace the OEM Group 35 tray (costs about $6-10).
  • You need the Group 24F battery - the F refers to the polarity difference. The Group 24 battery will have the posts reversed and will not work.
  • You need a Group 24 battery tray - there's no polarity to the tray, so there's no "24F" specific tray - it fits both 24 and 24F batteries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too opened a claim with Subaru last week over this issue. I finally got a response last night and was told to take it back to the dealer for further testing. Mind you I’ve been telling the dealer about this since June of last year. Died on me a total for 4 times once just sitting in garage for about a week and a half! Once while listening to the radio while at a drive in 30 minutes of use and once while doors were opened while I detailed the car. Lastly the hatch was left open. Every time I had a dead battery I was able to see lights and use the radio. When it was parked for 1-1/2 weeks it was completely dead. The first time it happens I took it to the dealer and they said battery is fine and that was it. Second third and fourth time they said sorry it’s a known problem and due to all the electronics. This last time when it was completely dead all I got was the usual it’s known issue answer. Top it off I was told to buy a trickle charger. That’s the straw that broke the camels back and sent a complaint to SOA. I was not expecting the reliance I got from SOA. I figured they would either call me or email me for a sitio al details. I’m my reponse I gave them a completely timely of the issue and all the other issues I’ve been dealing with. Some fixed and some sorry it’s normal. I had zero issues with my 2018 Legacy. I still love the Ascent and don’t plan on getting rid of it but believe SOA and my dealer could do better.
the lesson I learned as of last night is make sure every time you have a problem with the car be it minor or major, have the dealer make note of it on your account and the tech look into it. Had I done this the three other time I had dead a dead battery instead of taking the dealers word for it SOAs responde May have been different. Robert If possible I would like to share my issues with you and get your input.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I too opened a claim with Subaru last week over this issue. I finally got a response last night and was told to take it back to the dealer for further testing. Mind you I’ve been telling the dealer about this since June of last year. Died on me a total for 4 times once just sitting in garage for about a week and a half! Once while listening to the radio while at a drive in 30 minutes of use and once while doors were opened while I detailed the car. Lastly the hatch was left open. Every time I had a dead battery I was able to see lights and use the radio. When it was parked for 1-1/2 weeks it was completely dead. The first time it happens I took it to the dealer and they said battery is fine and that was it. Second third and fourth time they said sorry it’s a known problem and due to all the electronics. This last time when it was completely dead all I got was the usual it’s known issue answer. Top it off I was told to buy a trickle charger. That’s the straw that broke the camels back and sent a complaint to SOA. I was not expecting the reliance I got from SOA. I figured they would either call me or email me for a sitio al details. I’m my reponse I gave them a completely timely of the issue and all the other issues I’ve been dealing with. Some fixed and some sorry it’s normal. I had zero issues with my 2018 Legacy. I still love the Ascent and don’t plan on getting rid of it but believe SOA and my dealer could do better.
the lesson I learned as of last night is make sure every time you have a problem with the car be it minor or major, have the dealer make note of it on your account and the tech look into it. Had I done this the three other time I had dead a dead battery instead of taking the dealers word for it SOAs responde May have been different. Robert If possible I would like to share my issues with you and get your input.
I had the battery die once while doing a 15-minute map update. I jumped it and went on my way. If it happens again, I'll call Subaru Starlink and have them send a service truck to jump it. A surefire way to have it documented, and hopefully, they will replace the feeble 530 CCA OEM battery with something better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2019 with the original battery. Mine I know is a gel acid battery. I know this as last year the car was having issues cranking. I left it as I did not have time to replace it and it is still going strong. Cranking issues have stopped to. So don’t know what caused the issue to start with but touch wood have not had an issue since,.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Subaru is "Penny wise and pound foolish" in their selection of OEM batteries. My 2017 Sonata Sport Turbo (a much less expensive car) came OEM with a 760 CCA (SAE) AGM battery. When I passed it on to my GF at 46K miles, I replaced the battery with a new equivalent Interstate AGM from Costco just for drill. Nothing was wrong with it and I saved it to use in my boat or one of my old cars.

The Ascent OE battery is I believe only a 530 CCA, flooded lead acid. The Ascent has a much higher electrical load with moon roof, lane keep, eyesight, etc. The Ascent's battery went dead on me once while doing a 15 minute map update with the engine off. I always carry a jump pack, so I wasn't stranded, but if it does it again I'll call Starlink and have them send out a service truck. If this happens more than once, perhaps SoA will authorize upgrading the battery. Costco has a Group 35 Interstate AGM for about $160.
it’s been a year since I have had to deal with this. I had to do the research but came to the same conclusion that a more powerful battery was needed. I wanted a 700 series but they insisted that there was not one available for the Ascent or that the holder would have to be modified and that I would have to take the 600 series. As a precaution I also was persuaded to have the useless hatch light disconnected and remove the ability to open the hatch door with the key.

Part of the dead battery problem was that I found the hatch open one morning when I walked out the front door. There was no doubt that the vehicle had been locked the previous night. Since the better battery was provided there has not been a problem. A few months after the exchange I thought that i should not be denied a feature that was part of the price. I don’t need a faint light in the back but wanted the remote hatch function to remain. The “fix” was made and there has not been a repeat.

Bottom line is that Subaru should have notified every Ascent owner to bring it in for a 600 series battery or better. Owners who don’t want a confrontation should pay for a new more powerful battery so there is no risk of being stranded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem in mine delt with the rear hatch. The only non LED light was the cargo area light. I took it out and the dead battery issue went away. Dealer put in a new socket. And led bulb. I never jump started again. Recently trade it in on a 2022 Ascent.i

·
Registered
6 Posts
This issue comes up regularly and my 2019 Ascent with approx. 18,600 miles is on its 3rd battery. Here is another discussion that I had participated in Can't Jumpstart Ascent!
Subaru was no help and the less said about the dealer, the better. I really miss my 2016 MDX.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
it’s been a year since I have had to deal with this. I had to do the research but came to the same conclusion that a more powerful battery was needed. I wanted a 700 series but they insisted that there was not one available for the Ascent or that the holder would have to be modified and that I would have to take the 600 series. As a precaution I also was persuaded to have the useless hatch light disconnected and remove the ability to open the hatch door with the key.
Not sure who helped you with battery selection, but, you can fit a ridiculously powerful battery in the Ascent with no mods whatsoever.

Part of the dead battery problem was that I found the hatch open one morning when I walked out the front door. There was no doubt that the vehicle had been locked the previous night. Since the better battery was provided there has not been a problem. A few months after the exchange I thought that i should not be denied a feature that was part of the price. I don’t need a faint light in the back but wanted the remote hatch function to remain. The “fix” was made and there has not been a repeat.

Bottom line is that Subaru should have notified every Ascent owner to bring it in for a 600 series battery or better. Owners who don’t want a confrontation should pay for a new more powerful battery so there is no risk of being stranded.
I used the OEM B200 battery for 52,000 miles.

Key thing on early Ascents is:
  • Have the liftgate controller replaced with the newer design that times out at the 20 minute mark (note: opening any door will restart the timeout).

Key thing for ALL Ascents is:
  • Do not store the keyfob near the Ascent (I use ten feet, manual says 6.6 feet) - the fob and car will talk for quite some time if you do. Heck, if you're at some odd "on the threshold" range, and have approach lighting on, the car will keep turning those lights on and then off until you kill the battery.
  • Do not leave a keyfob in the car.
  • Make sure the car is actually off (this happens a lot more than people would think - they hit the stop button, then shift into park and walk out of the car - that leaves the car ON)
Key thing for dealership battery replacements:
  • Make sure you get the B600 series. If they try to install another B200 battery, tell them to read the dealer letter from SoA sent October 2021.
Key thing for those who overland or use the battery when the car is off (I do both):

1 - 20 of 32 Posts