Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pics here:

Hi all, here's an approved location for the EZ-Pass (SoA responded in writing via email to an owner that this location is acceptable).

Here's the exclusion zones. What you cannot see in the drawing at the bottom of this post is the area behind the Eyesight/glasses holder casing.

You can stick the small EZ-Passes jammed up against the headliner, on the driver's side of the vehicle, directly left of the mirror stalk (from the driver's POV).

On various trims, there are sensors on the right side of the mirror stalk directly right of the stalk. There are up to two: (1) rain sensing sensor pressed against the windshield, and (2) mirror mounted sensor (embedded on the rear of the passenger side of the rear view mirror). Hence, the EZ-Pass needs to go on the "empty" driver's side of the mirror stalk.

See the pictures below.

Subaru was already asked about this and replied in an email that this was an approved location. BUT, you really must jam it all the way to the headliner and all the way towards the mirror stalk for it to fit.

IF by some chance, your state has odd EZ-Passes that are chrome coated, or in some other way highly reflective, then, before you put them in the car, I'd simply spray them with the dullest Plasti-Dip spray (darker colors or off white probably), wait for it to try, and then mount them as suggested above.

Optionally, see my answers to @SSgt93 below his quoted text.

I had issues with this on the Tesla so I ust held it outside the window while passing through.
In NYS and most other states, you can stop in and request a license plate mounted EZ-Pass for the vehicle. It can be secured using security screws and looks like this:

NYS offers them to commercial vehicles as an option (commercial drivers get the regular option and the plate mounted one and the ability to choose). Everyone else has to ask for one and have a need - such as Tesla owners, and, arguably Ascent owners.

Hope that helps everyone.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remember to tuck the EZ-Pass as close to the headliner as possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great guide! that's exactly where I have my little transponder currently... I also have a license plate tag on the way... it was pretty simple to get one once I mentioned the eyesight system. The rep on the phone did not give me any issues or question me, just said they would mail me one.... I was never able to get one in the past. Once it arrives I will determine if I am ok with the way it looks and make a decision on which one to use.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Didn't someone mention the front little window as well? Can't find the post though...

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't someone mention the front little window as well? Can't find the post though...
Yes, but that's not a supported location per the EZ-Pass agencies.

All EZ-Passes are supposed to be as close to center of the vehicle as possible so that the above road sensors used in the high speed EZ-Pass lanes can properly register car photos to EZ-Passes passing through. A foot in either direction is no big deal, but on the edge of the car is not a supported location.

So, if the EZ-Pass is on the very edge/side of a car, it may be mistakenly picked up by the receivers in the next lane over, especially since the clearest signal will be straight up out the side window (which is angled slightly inwards), instead of through the roof above it.

I found that out while researching this, buried someplace in the convoluted NY/NJ site.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes I mentioned the little triangle window on the side, but I also mentioned that the signal is not easily picked up from that location. I store it there, but if I know I'm going through a toll I move it and mount it on my windshield. I have a suction cup mount.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Also remember that these transponders only last about 5 years so if you have had it longer you might want to get a new one. I had mine for about 13 years before I moved it to the Ascent and it then started to not always work.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wow I didn't think much about it, and I stuck it behind my mirror on the passenger side, is that an issue for EyeSite? I'll have to see if there's anything on the back side of my mirror.
On the Touring, there's no room, and if it's mounted there, it's hanging into the clear part of the windshield, which it shouldn't. The Touring has the rain sensor pressed against the windshield on the passenger side of the mirror stalk.

On all models with auto dimming mirrors (rear view, or the whole 3 mirror package), it also cannot be mounted on the passenger side of the stalk because it will block the auto-dim sensor that is in the rear of the rear view mirror.

On non-Touring models without auto-dimming mirrors and the related sensor (do they exist?), it can be mounted on either side of the mirror stalk. Your preference. Simplest thing to do is to check the back of the rear view mirror. If there's a sensor, then the mounting location is limited to the driver's side of the mirror stalk.

In all cases, it must fit entirely behind the shaded part of the windshield, which means tucked up against the mirror stalk and tucked up against the headliner.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put mine directly below the windshield mirror mount.
That was a safe area on other Subarus, but not on the Ascent. :sad: :crying:

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put mine right next to the passenger side camera, on the outer side. Can't really see it from the driver's seat, and haven't had any issues.
It's not a matter of whether you can see it or not... it's whether the camera can. :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True, but I don't want to look at it either! The FL Sunpass is a little sticker.
lol, yeah, my EX-Pass is ugly to look at. I almost considered pulling it down and Plasti-Dipping it in matte black and putting it back.

Then, this morning, I saw a 2019 Outback with the license plate version.

Torn between the two ideas. On the one hand, I won't see the plate mounted one when I am driving... but I will see it when I photograph the car and every time I walk up to it.

I think if all of the stickers on my EZ-Pass look like Plasti-Dip will come off of them, I will go that route.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.