Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an E-Z Pass transponder to use on a trip to New England (lots of toll roads and bridges). The instructions say to stick it on the front of the rear view mirror. I'm wondering if that would interfere with the Eyesight system. Anything wrong with just laying it on the dashboard?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,384 Posts
Lots of existing discussion about this here in the forums. You absolutely do need to be careful where you install the transponder if you choose to put it on the window. As you ask about, I mount them on the dashboard and have for years and not just on Subarus. I just plain got tired of the adhesive giving way because of heat as I use a sun shield during the summer months. They would always fall off the window right before a toll plaza because Murphy's Law is like that, making for an unsafe situation. I use heavy duty plastic hook/loop to mount the transponder and always paint them flat black first to prevent glare. (label covered with black electrical tape so the bar code is still accessible should that ever be necessary)

Motor vehicle Plant community Plant Hood Vehicle

Reactions: cris

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
Just picked up an E-Z Pass transponder to use on a trip to New England (lots of toll roads and bridges). The instructions say to stick it on the front of the rear view mirror. I'm wondering if that would interfere with the Eyesight system. Anything wrong with just laying it on the dashboard?
YOU need to put it here, to be in compliance with NYS and parts of New England requirements about it being centered as best as possible. With our area's cashless tolling, pole sensors and cameras, we're supposed to have it towards the center so it doesn't accidentally get registered by another lane.

The area in my image is approved by EZ-Pass and NYS and SoA. The black zone is not radio frequency blocking, and it's more than the proper distance from the metal roof line.

Motor vehicle Trigger Bumper Automotive exterior Steering wheel

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

MORE DETAILS

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Premium 8 passenger 26,700 mi
13 Posts
I keep meaning to put ours on the window like we always did on our older Foresters, but honestly, even though we live in NJ we rarely have to travel toll roads. For the last two years I just keep it in my driver's door cup holder and pull it out and lay it on the dash as we go the sensors and then back to the cup holder.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx edition, Autumn Green Metallic.
46 Posts
YOU need to put it here, to be in compliance with NYS and parts of New England requirements about it being centered as best as possible. With our area's cashless tolling, pole sensors and cameras, we're supposed to have it towards the center so it doesn't accidentally get registered by another lane.

The area in my image is approved by EZ-Pass and NYS and SoA. The black zone is not radio frequency blocking, and it's more than the proper distance from the metal roof line.

View attachment 17081

View attachment 17082

MORE DETAILS
[/QUOTE
great in this location, no problem with interfering with iSight system.

View attachment 17081

View attachment 17082

MORE DETAILS
Works great for me I this location.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've stuck it in the passenger upper corner, rebel I know!, and it has worked well in NE. I hate seeing them in line-of-sight, even in the black zone; before eyesight, would put it behind mirror so I wouldn't see them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding EZ-pass transponder placement -- I called the dealer right off about the transponder placement. Our salesman, who we've bought two Subarus from, advised me adhere it to the top left windshield corner (that is, the driver's side). No problems so far, and no bills from any state.

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
Regarding EZ-pass transponder placement -- I called the dealer right off about the transponder placement. Our salesman, who we've bought two Subarus from, advised me adhere it to the top left windshield corner (that is, the driver's side). No problems so far, and no bills from any state.
Alas, that's not the correct location, and it's sad they don't read the training material.

It works in most states, but can actually cause double billing or even fines, in the states (like NY) that require it to be towards the center of the vehicle. Double billing isn't often but is known to have happened. Misregistering (wrong plate for transponder) from the wrong camera snapping the shot has happened. And, more rarely, but has happened, is penalty notification for improper placement.

I got in trouble once for having it sitting on my dash - threatened with the penalty, then told "don't let it happen again" (this was in a combo manned/EZ-Pass lane)

So, it really depends on the mood of the EZ-Pass people at the time.

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
For what it's worth, I do live in New York.
That's what makes it even odder. They literally have a picture, and instructions, that indicate that if it can't be placed places like where I showed, that it can go behind the mirror, in the middle, so as to meet NYS EZ-Pass requirements. As I said, they're not properly trained on this. ;) :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts