Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those in states where toll tags are used (e.g. EZ-Pass in the Northeast), where are you mounting your tags? The Eyesight documentation states that you shouldn’t mount accessories anywhere on the windshield or dashboard where they can interfere with the Eyesight cameras.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine is at the top right, on the passenger side. Mine did interfere with my EyeSight. I had it in the same spot as my Dad's Forester, but that was messing it up.
My dealer told me anywhere that is not directly in front of the cameras... but he's wrong and I'm following the teachings of @CentralMASubie earlier issue that he documented and going for the top right or top left (mine is a switchable transponder and I need to be able to reach it while driving).

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
275 Posts
For those in states where toll tags are used (e.g. EZ-Pass in the Northeast), where are you mounting your tags? The Eyesight documentation states that you shouldn’t mount accessories anywhere on the windshield or dashboard where they can interfere with the Eyesight cameras.

I fit mine vertical in the little triangle shaped glass next to the driver's side, side view mirror. It seems to work, especially since when you drive through an EZ-pass, the sensor is on the left. I have also tested it on the NJ GSP going down the shore, so I used it with the overhead scanners in which you don't need to slow down for. Since my Vehicle make and model and license plate are registered with my account, if for some reason the scanner does not detect the transponder, they can still track me down via photo and my account information and bill me that way. There is no fee or penalty in that situation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My dealer told me anywhere that is not directly in front of the cameras... but he's wrong and I'm following the teachings of @CentralMASubie earlier issue that he documented and going for the top right or top left (mine is a switchable transponder and I need to be able to reach it while driving).
Haha. I'm a she. Thankfully I don't need to reach mine. I wouldn't be able to that far away. Glad my oops moment has been a teachable one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
For EZ-Pass (not switchable) I have on the front license plate. Dashcam is on the suction cap on the lower left corner of the windshield, in the "allow" areas of the Eyesight. Near small triangle window, except on the windshield

The same for 16 Forester with eyesight

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
For EZ-Pass (not switchable) I have on the front license plate. Dashcam is on the suction cap on the lower left corner of the windshield, in the "allow" areas of the Eyesight. Near small triangle window, except on the windshield

The same for 16 Forester with eyesight

Not worried about theft?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not worried about theft?
Hmm. I never really though of it and I had like this for many years on two cars (as soon WA start tolling 520 bridge).

I guess the other thing I would do is just get the path thingy, keep it in the cabin, put on the dashboard when crossing under sensors, then hide it back again. I would not mount it on the windshield.

I did the same for Snopark permit - put on the dash whiled parked, rather then stick to the glass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know it's an old post but for the newer Ascent owners who are still wondering where to place their toll tags in order NOT o interfere with EyeSight, here in Houston, TX Iinstead of the normal EZRag winshield sticker, I asket for a small toll tag gizmo that is attached to the front licence plate. I just had to pay for an additional nominal one-time fee.
Here's a picture of what that device looks like. I screwed on top mf my Ascent's front licence plate.

This is a similar device on a Tesla licence plate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any SunPass suggestions? SunPass sticker is supposed to be windshield mounted just to right and below rearview mirror. Florida doesn't have front license plates, so no front license plate mounted device. SunPass does offer a battery operated visor mounted device, but I'd much rather use the sticker if it can be used without interfering with the EyeSight cameras.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
Any SunPass suggestions? SunPass sticker is supposed to be windshield mounted just to right and below rearview mirror. Florida doesn't have front license plates, so no front license plate mounted device. SunPass does offer a battery operated visor mounted device, but I'd much rather use the sticker if it can be used without interfering with the EyeSight cameras.
I would think you could mount it up high, but off to the side, outside of the Eyesight field of view limitations.There's no physical reason that the tag has to be "centered" in the vehicle just like with an EZPass toll transponder. They recommend top, center for practical reasons as it doesn't get in the driver's critical viewing area, but up high and to the right, for example, doesn't either.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
74 Posts
+1 to the front license mounting... and the local EZ Tag office didnt charge anything extra vs the traditional windshield mount version.
Also the screws are anti-tamper type, needing a non-traditional screwdriver.

Reactions: ChuckKaty1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Before I read the advice on this forum, I had already placed my SunPass on the windshield as in this picture. Will this interfere with EyeSight?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
MAY affect 3D point parallax calculations on thin things that are directly in front of your mid point, like a motorcycle or person? MAY be high enough to not matter much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts