Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded all of the turn signal bulbs to LEDs and have the rapid flash going on. I have a spare flasher module from my 2014 with a potentiometer on it. I was looking to see if I could swap it into the ascent to control the flash rate. Does anyone know where it is? It sounds like the tick is coming from around the fuse panel but nothing obvious stood out. Hoping to avoid having to put a resister on each turn signal bulb leg.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
The solution is to get CANBUS safe bulbs. The flashers in the Ascent are tied into the computer and affect various Eyesight functions, as well as have programmed triple flash modes.

Oh, and don't waste your money on Philips' claim to be compatible but definitely aren't bulbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This seems to be another instance where canbus claims are not holding up. I was under the impression that canbus handled computer interactions and had nothing to do with load.

Eyesight is unaffected in the hyper flash state. We have the triple flash selected in the setting and you can still bumb the stick and use it. You just get more than 3 currently because the car seems to not count the flashed but rather use a time window assuming a certain flash rate.

I picked up some load simulators and will report back. Pretty sure that the canbus stuff is fine because my buddies VW has a canbus system and if you get a bulb that doesn't support it, it will tell you a bulb is out even with load simulators. The only experience that has changed is the flash rate.

Edit: Confirmed, canbus alone doesn't solve the hyper flash issue. You have to find one that has canbus and a load resister built in or add one yourself

Ref: https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog/can-bus-led-bulbs/293/

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
I don't care about references or what other people say. If you do some searching, you will find that canbus incompatible LED bulbs in Subaru can cause all sorts of different issues, including triggering the same Christmas tree like pattern and disabling of all sorts of functions of the car. Also, I found all of this because it happened to me.

So, in searching, I found many many many other people who is happened to as well. It is sometimes intermittent, and doesn't happen for hundreds of miles, before the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. Or sometimes it happens in the first 5 to 10 miles.

This is a common and known compatibility issue with Subarus.

It happens less often with blinkers, because they are not left on for long periods of time, unlike running lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a recommendation on a bulb? This would make 2 canbus safe bulbs that don't worked based on your experience (these and for mentioned phillips)?

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Do you have a recommendation on a bulb? This would make 2 canbus safe bulbs that don't worked based on your experience (these and for mentioned phillips)?
I will try to see what I used last time. I bought a bunch and tried them out of order. But, there's one I found at Autozone that worked.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Ok, it wasn't the ones I got from Amazon, so, it was likely one of the Sylvania bulbs sold at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't care about references or what other people say. If you do some searching, you will find that canbus incompatible LED bulbs in Subaru can cause all sorts of different issues, including triggering the same Christmas tree like pattern and disabling of all sorts of functions of the car. Also, I found all of this because it happened to me.

So, in searching, I found many many many other people who is happened to as well. It is sometimes intermittent, and doesn't happen for hundreds of miles, before the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. Or sometimes it happens in the first 5 to 10 miles.

This is a common and known compatibility issue with Subarus.

It happens less often with blinkers, because they are not left on for long periods of time, unlike running lights.
The Christmas Tree used to happen to me with my 2010 legacy. I finally found bulbs by Lastfit that do work in the brake light position. The ones that are suppose to work for the flashers do work but for some reason, the longer you have them flashing they eventually start hyper flashing after maybe 35-40+ seconds. That's what happens on my 2019 Ascent. Subaru's just don't play nice with CANBUS.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just installed these for the reverse lights,replaced a set of Sylvania LED's .
Man these things are bright,on the HU screen looks like 2 flashlights back there.CANBUS compatible.
Bottle Product Automotive tire Font Drink

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
I have a different brand for the backups, but yea...I really like and prefer having much brighter backup lighting, especially because I'm typically a "reverse in" parker. They are a great upgrade for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts