Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is overall MPG in the vehicle except in MY SUBARU apps ? I just saw Average current MPG for current mileage in the two screen. Thank you

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
the overall MPG is based on the two trip meter (Trip A and Trip B). You must let the computer log your mileage on either trip meter to obtain the overall, long-term, MPG

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I just filled up my Ascent for the first time. Based on mileage and fuel filled I had 18.1 MPG in mostly city driving which included some driveway hangout time. Not too bad given it is still very much breaking in (less than 300 miles). I have not been driving it aggressively. It was obvious to me that the average MPG needed more data before providing anything meaningful back to me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the overall MPG is based on the two trip meter (Trip A and Trip B). You must let the computer log your mileage on either trip meter to obtain the overall, long-term, MPG
I use Trip A to log my cumulative average MPG. So, when I fill up, I don't reset Trip A; I reset Trip B.

However, here's where it gets weird. I filled up 3 days ago. Trip A was reading 24.3 Average MPG for 282 miles. After logging 70 (mostly highway) miles on Trip B, Trip B says Average MPG is 29.2 for those 70 miles. but Trip A says Average MPG has jumped to 29.4 for 352 miles.

For my next trick, I'm going to turn water into wine.:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I use Trip A to log my cumulative average MPG. So, when I fill up, I don't reset Trip A; I reset Trip B.

However, here's where it gets weird. I filled up 3 days ago. Trip A was reading 24.3 Average MPG for 282 miles. After logging 70 (mostly highway) miles on Trip B, Trip B says Average MPG is 29.2 for those 70 miles. but Trip A says Average MPG has jumped to 29.4 for 352 miles.

For my next trick, I'm going to turn water into wine.:tango_face_wink:
It appears to be weird but it's not. The problem you have is data gap, not allowing the computer to log enough data points to have strong trend. In other words, don't be disappointed when your Trip A logs about 3000mi and that MPG drops to about 21MPG, because that's what I'm getting.

In fact, the MPG varies in small increments (tenths) after 3000mi, or about 10 tanks of gas.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It appears to be weird but it's not. The problem you have is data gap, not allowing the computer to log enough data points to have strong trend. In other words, don't be disappointed when your Trip A logs about 3000mi and that MPG drops to about 21MPG, because that's what I'm getting.

In fact, the MPG varies in small increments (tenths) after 3000mi, or about 10 tanks of gas.
Fair enough. I've created a spreadsheet which logs each fill-up and calculates the actual MPG. It also notes the reported MPG from the car computer. So, I'm tracking the discrepancy after each fill-up.

I agree with you that additional data points ought to help the onboard computer.

However, the unknown is how many miles of data on MPG the onboard computer actually stores in memory. In my Fords, I have figured out that it is exactly 2,000 miles. After 2K miles, the Ford computer starts erasing the earliest data. Much like a dash cam memory card.

Time will tell. I'll post my results after 3K miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts