Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Im in North Eastern area country, where is the Ascent 2019 being built, do they have different plants around USA or they all built in one area of country???
Subaru has kicked off production of one of its most eagerly-anticipated cars in recent memory, with the 2019 Ascent SUV beginning to roll off the line. The automaker’s new three-row model, it’s being produced here in the US, at Subaru’s Lafayette plant in Indiana.

It’s the same location where Subaru already makes its Outback, Legacy, and Impreza cars. Adding Ascent to the mix demanded some extra investment, however. Subaru says it has pumped around $140m in equipment and related investments into the facility, and added around 200 jobs.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Ltd. / 2022 BRZ Ltd.
120 Posts
Im in North Eastern area country, where is the Ascent 2019 being built, do they have different plants around USA or they all built in one area of country???
Interesting question. It is 'assembled' in Lafayette, Indiana in a plant that Toyota moved out to allow increased production for Subaru. I believe Subaru is only built in two locations: Japan and Indiana. Many cars are built from components sourced from various countries so, any car you buy could be more or less a global consideration. If it makes you feel better about "Buying American", then Subaru comes pretty close by investing in infrastructure and creating jobs in the US. If you buy a new Chevrolet Blazer, those will be assembled in Mexico. They have to eat too, but correct me if I am wrong here, GM is paying their workers beans and rice wages and Subaru pays their people quite a bit better. Some years ago my mother-in-law was looking to replace her Buick and buying American was sort of an issue. That year, the Toyota Avalon was re-engineered and built in the US. It's target demographic lined up perfectly for the Buick and Oldsmobile crowd. I talked her into it easily and it was a very nice car.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Interesting question. It is 'assembled' in Lafayette, Indiana in a plant that Toyota moved out to allow increased production for Subaru. I believe Subaru is only built in two locations: Japan and Indiana. Many cars are built from components sourced from various countries so, any car you buy could be more or less a global consideration. If it makes you feel better about "Buying American", then Subaru comes pretty close by investing in infrastructure and creating jobs in the US. If you buy a new Chevrolet Blazer, those will be assembled in Mexico. They have to eat too, but correct me if I am wrong here, GM is paying their workers beans and rice wages and Subaru pays their people quite a bit better. Some years ago my mother-in-law was looking to replace her Buick and buying American was sort of an issue. That year, the Toyota Avalon was re-engineered and built in the US. It's target demographic lined up perfectly for the Buick and Oldsmobile crowd. I talked her into it easily and it was a very nice car.
The Subaru of Indiana Automotive plant, in Lafayette, Indiana, began production in 1989. At that time it was known as Subaru-Isuzu Automotive, and made the Subaru Legacy and Legacy Wagon, and the Isuzu Pup pick-up. Production later added the Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport (which was just basically a rebadged Passport) and the Subaru Outback replaced the Legacy Wagon.

Oh, yeah, I was there - if you look at a picture of Job One, where everyone was on the production floor, I'm in the upper middle. I've been with the company a while. When I left, I was making $25 / hour, and that was 14 years ago.

Subaru has the assembly plant in Lafayette, an assembly plant in Ota City, Gunma Prefecture, Japan, and also has additional manufacturing in Ota City as well, because we make our own engines and transmissions. Those aren't sourced out. Last figure I heard was right at 5,800 employees in Indiana directly, and with other suppliers (the seats are made about 14 miles away in Frankfort, Indiana, wiring harnesses are made in Veedersburg, Indiana, and all sorts of other parts come from all over the country) the actual assembly plant is responsible, by itself, for something like 25,000 total jobs in this country.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Ltd. / 2022 BRZ Ltd.
120 Posts
The Subaru of Indiana Automotive plant, in Lafayette, Indiana, began production in 1989. At that time it was known as Subaru-Isuzu Automotive, and made the Subaru Legacy and Legacy Wagon, and the Isuzu Pup pick-up. Production later added the Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport (which was just basically a rebadged Passport) and the Subaru Outback replaced the Legacy Wagon.

Oh, yeah, I was there - if you look at a picture of Job One, where everyone was on the production floor, I'm in the upper middle. I've been with the company a while. When I left, I was making $25 / hour, and that was 14 years ago.

Subaru has the assembly plant in Lafayette, an assembly plant in Ota City, Gunma Prefecture, Japan, and also has additional manufacturing in Ota City as well, because we make our own engines and transmissions. Those aren't sourced out. Last figure I heard was right at 5,800 employees in Indiana directly, and with other suppliers (the seats are made about 14 miles away in Frankfort, Indiana, wiring harnesses are made in Veedersburg, Indiana, and all sorts of other parts come from all over the country) the actual assembly plant is responsible, by itself, for something like 25,000 total jobs in this country.
You did not mention Toyota and to what degree of presence they had there. A friend has/had one of his Toyota Camrys, I think, was built in that plant. Oh, and by the way Carl, you in small measure were instrumental in my getting a BRZ. I showed your comment to my wife. I absolutely love driving that thing and for your input, I will be eternally grateful. People, if you are looking for spousal approval, Carl will help you out I am sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.