Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I have a short cord and put it in the little area where the cigarette lighter is
I just bought my Ascent today! But I have been putting it in the little area on the passenger side, above the glove box...
I put it in the little cubby under the head unit.
Maybe I'm too heavy on the throttle or turn too fast but mine falls out when its in there. Do ya'll have that problem too?
I end up keeping my coffee in the 2nd cupholder and my phone in the first one, with any additional drinks going in the door.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
I use a phone mount that is positioned above and to the right of the cup holder area, close to the dash. That will be repeated when my Ascent arrives in a couple weeks. I generally use an Arkon mount with the support for that varying by vehicle and available solutions. I'll probably do a mount similar to Robert Mauro's with my Ascent.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I use Android Auto with my phone but I have a cable that runs to the shelf above the glove box and that works really well even if I accelerate hard.

I also sometimes have 2 phones in there if my wife is also charging her phone and they don't slide around or anything.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I bought a little magnetic holder that I mounted on the shelf left of the steering wheel. I have a cord from the USB port over the steering wheel and then wrapped around it so I can easily hook it up as I get in/out of the car.

Now that I bought a HUD that goes above my steering wheel, I mount the phone sideways, but it still fits just fine and sends its signal to the HUD so I can have either Torque or Waze showing on my HUD.

Attachments

Reactions: marktoby and DKeane

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maybe I'm too heavy on the throttle or turn too fast but mine falls out when its in there. Do ya'll have that problem too?
I end up keeping my coffee in the 2nd cupholder and my phone in the first one, with any additional drinks going in the door.
There's a rubber sheet in the cubby so it's not really an issue. What *is* an issue is fitting the phone in there with the cord coming out of it. The cubby needs to be 1-2" deeper and 1" wider.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
These helped me fit my Note 8 and Note 9 in that cubby

There's a rubber sheet in the cubby so it's not really an issue. What *is* an issue is fitting the phone in there with the cord coming out of it. The cubby needs to be 1-2" deeper and 1" wider.
This works, even for phones as monstrous as the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Note 9. I used a foot long one like this (no longer sold).

Since these aren't the one I actually used, I cannot vouch for its data connection for Android Auto, but it should be easy to replace.

3' and 6':
https://smile.amazon.com/Degree-Charger-Braided-Samsung-MacBook/dp/B07L4FG98S/

1':
https://smile.amazon.com/Charging-CIKOO-Braided-Charger-Oneplus/dp/B01MZ8RA3A/

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I like this idea. I have the same problem in my S4 too. Luckily they come in 2 packs
Please let us know which one(s) you test and if they work with Android Auto. There was ONE 1' cable that did not work for me, while others I tested did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Please let us know which one(s) you test and if they work with Android Auto. There was ONE 1' cable that did not work for me, while others I tested did.
Our Ascent doesn't arrive until June but based on Robert's recommendation I went ahead and purchased 2 of these. With iPhones, you want to make sure the cords are Apple MFi certified (unless of course they are the official Apple ones that came with the iPhone).

I've used Monoprice before and they are great: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30784

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm fascinated by the number of people who are still using phone mounts. I'm assuming those who do, don't use Carplay or Android Auto? Otherwise, you shouldn't really need access to your phone while driving, right? Ever since I've started with Android Auto, I've ALMOST never had a need to get to my phone's display, hence no reason for a mount anywhere. Just curious what others are needing one for?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
I use it for easy connection (slide in wired mount), and so I can have a 2nd display (eg: for car info).

I'm fascinated by the number of people who are still using phone mounts. I'm assuming those who do, don't use Carplay or Android Auto? Otherwise, you shouldn't really need access to your phone while driving, right? Ever since I've started with Android Auto, I've ALMOST never had a need to get to my phone's display, hence no reason for a mount anywhere. Just curious what others are needing one for?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts