Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at the Limited and Touring the website makes it sound like you can’t get top Audio and nice interior stuff without the giant panoramic roof? I like the Basic sunroof but I car top stuff and honestly can see my self breaking the stupid panoramic roof dropping a bike crank or boat through it.

Is it really not possible to order a Limited or Touring without the Panoramic roof?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think my previous post was maybe confusing..
It is possible to order the Limited with Option 21...that will not have the moonroof.
If you order Option 23 ,that includes the moonroof and the upgraded HK sound system.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Can you do the HK sound but no panoramic roof?
No, I don't see that option. The only way to get HK sound is with the package. Otherwise, you can do a Rockford Fosgate upgrade "independent" of everything else, but you can't do RF with the HK system.

Package 21 is just the "default" package for the Limited trim. 23 is an upgrade to 21 which includes HK and Pano. Package 31 is the "Default" for Touring - with the HK system standard.

I saw the Pano roof in person yesterday. It's really nice, makes the car feel really open - and it was NOT noisy by any means. The roof wind noise from my 2011 Outback's moonroof is brutal - even with the shade pulled.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It really seems this option combo targets non Subaru vs returning customers. The OB trade up Subaru types for sure will be interested in the ventilated seats, the upgraded tech, but I see the panoramic roof being a big problem for many of us OB owners who really do roof rack gear. Plus I really really don’t see me being happy with Captains chairs I loose the seating flexibility that I use quite often in our Sequoia.

I’m glad there are lots of new SUVs hitting the market in the next 18months. Ill have more options to consider.

·
Registered
931 Posts
What’s the deal with the pano? Your roof rack should be holding the gear, not the roof whether glass or metal, right?

·
Registered
764 Posts
What’s the deal with the pano? Your roof rack should be holding the gear, not the roof whether glass or metal, right?
She is afraid she will drop something through the roof. Personally, I've never even bumped the top of my roof with anything, but I've only used my racks a couple dozen times. I don't regularly put things up there. Most people don't. But a few people do.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the roof rack lots. I have rental property I manage ie ladders etc, I car top boats, I car top bikes etc. Yes strap buckles clank on the roof sometimes, bike cranks get bumped into the roof, boat bits occasionally land on the roof etc. Heck last week I hacked down a coyote bush and tossed that on the roof and took it to a dumpster.

Like I said I see a trend where Subaru is targeting an audience outside its typical buyers with the Ascent.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Like I said I see a trend where Subaru is targeting an audience outside its typical buyers with the Ascent.
Subaru started doing that six years ago.

There's a reason why we're now at 78 months in a row of consecutive sales increases.

I think what you mean is that Subaru is now targeting a more mainstream buyer than what we have before - we're no longer the quirky little niche car that's ugly but cheap (which is, literally, how the B360 used to be marketed). And we're not the little, niche car company we used to be, either.

You have the big 6 - GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, FCA (Fiat Chrysler America), and Nissan, all selling in excess of 125,000 cars per month (some twice that). Then you have the next three - Hyundai, Subaru, and Kia - all selling in the vicinity of 60,000 per month. So we're now the 8th largest selling car company in the US. We've sold 263,000 so far year to date. When I started at Bob Moore selling, it was an accomplishment for Subaru to sell 263,000 for the whole YEAR.

So to a certain extent, yes, we're probably going to lose a few of our typical buyers - although also realistically, once you've consumed enough Subaru Kool-Aid, you know you're not going to buy anything else, simply because for the value of what you're getting, nothing else makes sense, so we know you're going to complain - but you're still going to buy a Subaru.

(Yeah, I'm ate up. I know it. Don't worry about it...) :grin: :angel: :devil:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use the roof rack lots. I have rental property I manage ie ladders etc, I car top boats, I car top bikes etc. Yes strap buckles clank on the roof sometimes, bike cranks get bumped into the roof, boat bits occasionally land on the roof etc. Heck last week I hacked down a coyote bush and tossed that on the roof and took it to a dumpster.

What I don’t get is why you are on this forum? You continue to post comments about the features you don’t like and that you have not ordered an Ascent and do not plan to. Are you looking for us all to convince you get one or are you just trolling? 234 posts is a lot of time wasted on a topic you don’t really have any interest in...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Subiesailor is very active across multiple model boards and a brand enthusiast like many of us. He has a few vehicles that could potentially have been consolidated into one to simply things... if the fit was right.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Subiesailor is very active across multiple model boards and a brand enthusiast like many of us. He has a few vehicles that could potentially have been consolidated into one to simply things... if the fit was right.
Yeah far from troll its called a discussion. Many Subaru buyers are active life style types we discuss this stuff lots. Often times resulting in creative and effective solutions. A car buddy told me tonight that a another friend had his panoramic roof 3m clear bra coated for this exact reason after he cracked it loading a canoe. So there you go!! Something I might consider a very plausible fix to make a Ascent an acceptable possible option for Active life style owners.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I didn’t mean it as an offense. you are obviously passionate about the brand but it’s hard to read all your detractor posts on a vehicle I and many others are very excited about. Is it perfect? No. But it’s the 1st time Subaru has done this 3 row model right imo and I can’t wait to get ours. In the end you need to pick what’s right for you and your lifestyle but perhaps some positive posts to go along with the things you don’t like will make it seem like the ascent isn’t really all that bad all things considered.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I didn’t mean it as an offense. you are obviously passionate about the brand but it’s hard to read all your detractor posts on a vehicle I and many others are very excited about. Is it perfect? No. But it’s the 1st time Subaru has done this 3 row model right imo and I can’t wait to get ours. In the end you need to pick what’s right for you and your lifestyle but perhaps some positive posts to go along with the things you don’t like will make it seem like the ascent isn’t really all that bad all things considered.
I've actually appreciated subiesailors' posts. Being on an ascent forum does not mean we're all sunshine pumpers about the car. A healthy balance of the honest pros and cons help me better understand the car.

I've

·
Registered
931 Posts
3m bra sounds like a smart idea.
I thought so too. Might solve my delema. And apparently the broken panoramic roof is a possibility I was starting think that maybe it doesn’t happen. But my buddy shot that theory down. Thanks dude...?
Let me know what the pricing ends up being. I may explore that for myself. I don’t see myself running stuff on the roof very often but I think I’d rather pre-emptively avoid big headaches down the road.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts