Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the first Ascents hit the streets and more follow, there will be many people that are completely unaware of the Ascent. I will bet that there are some Subaru owners that are in the dark as well. It would be interesting to hear stories of new owners being approached by curious people. Will you take the time to show off your new pride and joy? I wonder if there is the possibility that once the Ascent is seen in public, the demand could go even higher than Subaru's capacity to build them. So, going on the theory that increased popularity of Subaru means that the competition will have unsold cars on the lot at a discount. People who had their hearts set on buying those cars will get a good deal. Thanks to Subaru, everybody wins. Yeah, I know... dumb theory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sort of agree, I was seriously contemplating a Highlander. Until I sat in it, I then sat in the Ascent which has better leg and headroom, I’m just over 6’ tall and my wife noticed that I seem to struggle with entry/exit into the Toyota. No way could I even consider a ride in the 3rd row, the Ascent felt plenty spacious whenever I adjust the seats starting with the front for my comfort, then crawl to the 2nd row, and I could then still fit in the 3rd. Plus the larger trunk space behind the 3rd row. I don’t see demand going down soon with the Subaru, people that don’t follow car blogs are unaware that it even exists.
To the unsold inventory of Honda and Toyota, the Toyota dealer I visited commented they had 68 Highlanders on the lot, that’s a lot of unsold inventory, they were already willing to deal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It’s so funny that you say this cause I have visions of people asking me about my Ascent when it arrives. Here in Alabama Subaru’s are not a common brand. There are a few, but not that many. There are however lots and lots of three row SUVs, like they are everywhere!!! I am sure that once I get out and about in it, to the gym, soccer, back to school and work I will be either approached or given that same look I get when people realize I have a weird accent (I’m Australian). Either way I will definitely be more than happy to show them my sweet ride! Now, where is this sweet ride that I speak of!!!???

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's completely plausible the competition will have more unsold vehicles on their lots as a result of people purchasing the Ascent. What I doubt is more than a handful of unsold Ascents on any lots for quite awhile. So then it becomes a question of whether people choose to wait for the Ascent or go with the in-stock, potentially incentivized competitor's model. If the Ascent is as great as we all expect then there will be a lot more people waiting well into 2019. It's so early on most of us in this forum ordered one without test driving or even seeing one in person. From this point on there will be a lot more people finding out about it and actually being able to see & drive one before making their decision. That might make them more hands-on informed than the early adopters, but I've enjoyed taking the risk and look forward to taking delivery of my Ascent :)

·
Banned
145 Posts
I read somewhere that the new honda pilot 2019 is going to out by July 16th. I think that the 60,000 number subaru is quoting is going to be pretty accurate. I honestly don't think that the car dealers are going to have any extra stock on anything. The economy is doing pretty good and gas prices are low. SUV will sell as fast as they make them. Toyota needs to update the highlander. I love the layout of the dash, but the features are soo 2014.

Honda will sell about 200,000 pilots. Toyota will sell about 120,000 highlanders. And subaru will sell about 60,000 ascents. And production will not stop on current models until they move over to the next year. They will sell out what they have in stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took mine to the carwash yesterday and when the car was finished I heard the guy on the radio say...Red Subaru Accent ready out front and the lady behind the counter turned to her co-worker and said....What was that? then she said Red Subaru ready out front...LOL. So how many people hear the Ascent get called an Accent?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I wonder if there is the possibility that once the Ascent is seen in public, the demand could go even higher than Subaru's capacity to build them.
You don't really have to do much wondering about this - we're already planning on and expecting it.

I'm already having people starting to come in that have heard about it and want to see and drive one - and are then shocked when I tell them, we don't have any. I don't know if @Jason went through this is Salt Lake or not, but ...

Outback did the body style change to the '15 model in July of 14. First ones hit, things started blowing up. Demand FAR exceeded supply, such that by August of '14, we were sold out. And stayed that way until March of '16. As in, if you wanted an Outback, you came in, test drove in a service loaner, and we ordered you one for delivery in 6 - 8 weeks. In the VERY rare occasion where we would actually have one come in that wasn't ordered, most of the time we'd sell it before it could get unloaded from the car carrier.

We expect it and are just planning on it now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Every time I get a chance, I try to talk to people driving Subies (gas stations, parking lots, etc) I start by asking how they like it. Then I ask what they would change...usually nothing unless they wish they had gotten the 3.6! When I ask it they have heard about the Ascent, its about 50/50. I used to start these conversations because I was genuinely curious about feed back on Subaru's. Now, I do it because I just want to share that I have an Ascent on order :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
You don't really have to do much wondering about this - we're already planning on and expecting it.

I'm already having people starting to come in that have heard about it and want to see and drive one - and are then shocked when I tell them, we don't have any. I don't know if @Jason went through this is Salt Lake or not, but ...

Outback did the body style change to the '15 model in July of 14. First ones hit, things started blowing up. Demand FAR exceeded supply, such that by August of '14, we were sold out. And stayed that way until March of '16. As in, if you wanted an Outback, you came in, test drove in a service loaner, and we ordered you one for delivery in 6 - 8 weeks. In the VERY rare occasion where we would actually have one come in that wasn't ordered, most of the time we'd sell it before it could get unloaded from the car carrier.

We expect it and are just planning on it now.

Yes we did. Since I've been around we had the 2012 Impreza that was impossible to get for the first year until the crosstrek was released. Then the demand stayed really strong on the crosstrek for a year or two. The 2014 Forester was a big hit but we didn't experience the shortage that we did with the others. We handled the 2015 Outback release better and kept the supply and demand pretty even. The 2018 Crosstrek release was insane around here. It took a full 6 months before we even had one stay on the lot for longer than a week without being sold. Most of the time they were selling in the pipeline before they even arrived.

The way the Ascent is shaping up, its going to be very similar to the 2018 Crosstrek for us.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The way the Ascent is shaping up, its going to be very similar to the 2018 Crosstrek for us.
Sure looks like it. While the 2018 Crosstrek was not a new model, and even looks very similar to the prev gen (exterior), it had a much nicer ride and brand new good looking interior (dash and HU very similar to the Ascent). All it took was a test ride to convince prospective customers. I suspect it will be the same with the Ascent.

·
Registered
210 Posts
As the first Ascents hit the streets and more follow, there will be many people that are completely unaware of the Ascent. I will bet that there are some Subaru owners that are in the dark as well. It would be interesting to hear stories of new owners being approached by curious people. Will you take the time to show off your new pride and joy? I wonder if there is the possibility that once the Ascent is seen in public, the demand could go even higher than Subaru's capacity to build them. So, going on the theory that increased popularity of Subaru means that the competition will have unsold cars on the lot at a discount. People who had their hearts set on buying those cars will get a good deal. Thanks to Subaru, everybody wins. Yeah, I know... dumb theory.
I've been driving mine around since Thursday night. I've put about 200 miles on it. I've gotten 3 thumbs up/waves from people driving Subarus and there was a couple checking it out when I walked out of the grocery this afternoon.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sure looks like it. While the 2018 Crosstrek was not a new model, and even looks very similar to the prev gen (exterior), it had a much nicer ride and brand new good looking interior (dash and HU very similar to the Ascent). All it took was a test ride to convince prospective customers. I suspect it will be the same with the Ascent.
Um, yes, we did have a 2017 Crosstrek, but the 2018 Crosstrek is effectively a new model because of the way the car it built. It's on the SGP like the '17 Impreza (and now the '19 Ascent and later this year, the '19 Forester) and isn't just part of the standard 5 year body style change cycle we have.

There's a lot of stuff you can't and normally will never see that went into these new cars that has made them what they are now.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Um, yes, we did have a 2017 Crosstrek, but the 2018 Crosstrek is effectively a new model because of the way the car it built. It's on the SGP like the '17 Impreza (and now the '19 Ascent and later this year, the '19 Forester) and isn't just part of the standard 5 year body style change cycle we have.

There's a lot of stuff you can't and normally will never see that went into these new cars that has made them what they are now.
I am sure the Ascent has a lot of "hidden" improvements or features, BUT I think Subaru has really increased the appeal of the interior. Here is the Outback from 2012 and the 2019 Ascent. What a contrast. That is what kept me from purchasing an Outback earlier in 2014.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oregon has a number of symbols like all the other states. The state tree is the Douglass Fir, Flower: Oregon Grape, Fish: Chinook Salmon, Crustacean: Dungeness Crab, Microbe: Brewer's Yeast. No car. Kentucky has the Corvette as the state car. I would propose the Subaru as the state car of Oregon because it seems like every third or fourth car I see is a Subaru. Taking into account the number of Subarus built compared to all the other cars, here in Oregon there seems to be a disproportionate number of Subarus. I suppose you could say it is just because of brand awareness, but I don't think so. One day I was walking through the parking lot and counted the Subarus and the various other cars. From my count and if I assumed that this would be the same all across America, you could say that Subaru made more cars than all other manufacturers combined. I know this is not the case. As an example, in the New York metro area I noticed what seems to be popular. As I drove away from the city out into northern New Jersey, I noticed a higher population of Subarus. In one town, Volvo seemed like the required car. Anyone driving a Subaru as the lone wolf? Or are you, like here, one of the pack?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oregon has a number of symbols like all the other states. The state tree is the Douglass Fir, Flower: Oregon Grape, Fish: Chinook Salmon, Crustacean: Dungeness Crab, Microbe: Brewer's Yeast. No car. Kentucky has the Corvette as the state car. I would propose the Subaru as the state car of Oregon because it seems like every third or fourth car I see is a Subaru. Taking into account the number of Subarus built compared to all the other cars, here in Oregon there seems to be a disproportionate number of Subarus. I suppose you could say it is just because of brand awareness, but I don't think so. One day I was walking through the parking lot and counted the Subarus and the various other cars. From my count and if I assumed that this would be the same all across America, you could say that Subaru made more cars than all other manufacturers combined. I know this is not the case. As an example, in the New York metro area I noticed what seems to be popular. As I drove away from the city out into northern New Jersey, I noticed a higher population of Subarus. In one town, Volvo seemed like the required car. Anyone driving a Subaru as the lone wolf? Or are you, like here, one of the pack?
I live in Lafayette, IN where SIA is located so I see tons of Subarus on a daily basis. A lot of the workers at SIA drive them because of the discount (and because they know they are great cars too).

My in laws are from Georgia and they came to visit a few weeks ago and I was talking about getting a new SUV soon and was looking at the Subaru Ascent. My mother in law had just bought a new Kia Sorento so we were talking about the similarities between the two and she says, "Wow I didn't even know they made Subarus anymore. I never see them down south." We are going to visit in October and I will have to pay attention and see if I see any.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in Lafayette, IN where SIA is located so I see tons of Subarus on a daily basis. A lot of the workers at SIA drive them because of the discount (and because they know they are great cars too).

My in laws are from Georgia and they came to visit a few weeks ago and I was talking about getting a new SUV soon and was looking at the Subaru Ascent. My mother in law had just bought a new Kia Sorento so we were talking about the similarities between the two and she says, "Wow I didn't even know they made Subarus anymore. I never see them down south." We are going to visit in October and I will have to pay attention and see if I see any.
Well I don't live deep in GA, but we're in Augusta (I can throw a stone into the Savannah River onto the SC border) but there are a lot of Subarus here. A ton. We're from Charleston SC, which is a super cool hipster Subaru-friendly crowd and I swear there are more here in boring sleepy Augusta. Atlanta too - there are a bunch of Sub dealerships there. A side note about mothers-in-law - mine is from IA - she makes the broadest strokes in assumptions. One time, we took a walk after dinner in Charleston and she said "oh I suppose people in the SC take walks after dinner." Just because we did on that one night?? Haha, just having fun with MILs :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I don't live deep in GA, but we're in Augusta (I can throw a stone into the Savannah River onto the SC border) but there are a lot of Subarus here. A ton. We're from Charleston SC, which is a super cool hipster Subaru-friendly crowd and I swear there are more here in boring sleepy Augusta. Atlanta too - there are a bunch of Sub dealerships there. A side note about mothers-in-law - mine is from IA - she makes the broadest strokes in assumptions. One time, we took a walk after dinner in Charleston and she said "oh I suppose people in the SC take walks after dinner." Just because we did on that one night?? Haha, just having fun with MILs :tango_face_wink:
They live near Rome which is (how do I put it nicely?) a kind of backwoods kind of town. I think half the population drives old beat up trucks with exhaust that nearly knocks you out at the stop lights. I think that probably contributes to it as well as Atlanta or Chattanooga being the closest towns with Subaru dealerships which are both over an hour away. The in laws don't get out of Rome much. :tango_face_wink:

Reactions: lkram
1 - 20 of 33 Posts