Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Wheels and tires without lift

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Robert.Mauro 
#1 ·
I have a '19 Ascent Limited in magnetite gray metallic with the 20" OEM wheels. I'd like to do a little more aggressive look with the wheels, and better tires for snow/ski trips. I live in SoCal so I don't want snow tires. On my previous 4Runner I had BFG K02's and they were great, but probably overkill for the Ascent, which is really just going to do gravel and snow. I'd rather not do a lift, just wheels and tires.

For wheels I've been looking at the popular KMC KM708 Bully (Size 18x8 Backspace 6 Offset 38mm Load 1750). Most Ascent builds I've seen with these wheels also have a lift. Anyone use these without a lift? What tires are you running? Any issues with rubbing?

#2 ·
Backspace shouldn't matter. That offset pushes the wheel farther out, which would be the source of any rubbing problems.

There's a thread on wheels and tires that should cover a lot of options that don't require a lift.

There's a bunch of threads on the KMC rim.

Personally, I won't use it, because I off-road and tow, and want a similar safety margin to the lowest common denominator stock tire (rated at 1,874 pounds), so, I shoot for 1850+ on load rating... but most people don't have my need.

#3 ·
Backspace shouldn't matter. That offset pushes the wheel farther out, which would be the source of any rubbing problems.

There's a thread on wheels and tires that should cover a lot of options that don't require a lift.

There's a bunch of threads on the KMC rim.

Personally, I won't use it, because I off-road and tow, and want a similar safety margin to the lowest common denominator stock tire (rated at 1,874 pounds), so, I shoot for 1850+ on load rating... but most people don't have my need.
Hi Robert, I just picked up a 2021 limited and am planning on getting similar to same kind of usage as yourself. It currently has the OEM 20" wheels but I'd like to add 18" wheels and add all terrains. What set of wheels do you recommend ?

#4 · (Edited)
Hi @Centin' - first, I don't recommend the same kind of usage as me... if you've seen some of the video snippets of my more extreme stuff, I do a bit more than I'd suggest, always pushing the Ascent to its limits and beyond. :ROFLMAO::LOL: I don't NOT suggest it either, lol!!! And remember, I have a 2.2" custom lift (there's only two such lifts in the world, and I am not putting together another one).

This week, I either replace a lower trailing control arm in the rear, or bash it back to straight... ;)

That aside, you've got another equally as important consideration. You'll need skid plates. I strongly wholeheartedly suggest and recommend Primitive Racing front, mid and rear armor. All three. Tell them Subaru Ambassador Robert sent you. I wouldn't trust any other skid plates to the type of off roading I do.

As for tires, I'm in love with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I'd get OEM size. My friends at @Discount Tire can hook you up, and have stellar service!!! If you're not in an area where they have their retail stores, they can ship them to your favorite installer. If you're in the Mertro NYC area, my friends at @Liberty Subaru can mount and balance any OEM sized Falken Wildpeak AT3W tire for you - just set up delivery with them to have them delivered there or bought from them, and set up an installation date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.