Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a silver limited ascent. And I have been toying with putting a more aggressive look to it. Going with 18” KMC XD820 4-4.5 +38mm grenade rims and BFG KO2s. Called Les Schwab to figure out what would work. Since 20” is out of the question with the set up I’m thinking. And I don’t really want to put a lift kit on it. Have never done this stuff to any of my vehicles but wanted to dress it up a bit. What do you think? Here are what the rims look like:

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you go with the oem 18” tire size should be good. Although BFG KO2 overall diameter might be bigger.

Personally I think faux bead lock look works better for lifted trucks and Jeeps than stock height suvs. Especially ours, which look more sporty than rugged (4Runner, last gen boxy Pilot)

But if you like them mount them up!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go with the oem 18” tire size should be good. Although BFG KO2 overall diameter might be bigger.

Personally I think faux bead lock look works better for lifted trucks and Jeeps than stock height suvs. Especially ours, which look more sporty than rugged (4Runner, last gen boxy Pilot)

But if you like them mount them up!
Yeah that’s the only thing I’m hesitant about is the bead look around the edge. If it was black than I think it would look better

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
My thoughts...

They're absolutely gorgeous, will support tires as wide as you can fit in the wells, have a more than sufficient load rating, the rim well is more than sufficient to fit the TPMS, and the bead lip size is fine for virtually any tire you can actually fit in the Ascent wheel wells... but...

• You WILL see a gas mileage hit because the setup is going to be the tiniest bit outside of parts of the wheel wells, causing more drag. You're moving the wheel assembly 2/3" outwards from the vehicle centerline.
  • You should not go beyond stock widths, because you've already pushed the tires farther out, causing less (zero) clearance with the wheel well lips around bumpy or high speed turns.
  • You may have a problem with caliper clearance due to the very large rim well. I'd see if I could get them fitted on the fronts before you go through the effort of mounting tires to them.
  • Make sure you check the clearance on the caliper facings as well - those rims seem to have tapered spokes which may rub on the facings. Because of how the calipers move, it's the facing that needs the most clearance, and not the outward edges that ride along the rim wells.
  • Don't forget to get the appropriate lug nuts for use with those specific rims.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're absolutely gorgeous, will support tires as wide as you can fit in the wells, have a more than sufficient load rating, the rim well is more than sufficient to fit the TPMS, and the bead lip size is fine for virtually any tire you can actually fit in the Ascent wheel wells... but...

• You WILL see a gas mileage hit because the setup is going to be the tiniest bit outside of parts of the wheel wells, causing more drag. You're moving the wheel assembly 2/3" outwards from the vehicle centerline.
  • You should not go beyond stock widths, because you've already pushed the tires farther out, causing less (zero) clearance with the wheel well lips around bumpy or high speed turns.
  • You may have a problem with caliper clearance due to the very large rim well. I'd see if I could get them fitted on the fronts before you go through the effort of mounting tires to them.
  • Make sure you check the clearance on the caliper facings as well - those rims seem to have tapered spokes which may rub on the facings. Because of how the calipers move, it's the facing that needs the most clearance, and not the outward edges that ride along the rim wells.
  • Don't forget to get the appropriate lug nuts for use with those specific rims.
Awesome advice thanks! Those we my exact concerns as far a caliper clearnece and rubbing when turning. I have a few other rims I’m considering.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If anyone has tried these on their Ascent successfully, please report! I'd love a set of tougher looking wheels on the Ascent along with some AT tires. Maybe not the BFG KO2's since they're so aggressive and I do 95% on-road driving, but something better looking and performing that the Falkens on the vehicle now.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Reactions: TheLex
1 - 12 of 12 Posts