Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to put 18” wheels on my touring for the winter months and had a few questions.

-Are these wheels sensors specific to each manufacturer? If so do I have to order them from Subaru?

-Ballpark range of what they run $?

-On my other vehicle I don’t have sensors for my second set of wheels, but the light turns off on the dash after a few miles. What does the Ascent do without sensors?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’m looking to put 18” wheels on my touring for the winter months and had a few questions.

-Are these wheels sensors specific to each manufacturer? If so do I have to order them from Subaru?

-Ballpark range of what they run $?

-On my other vehicle I don’t have sensors for my second set of wheels, but the light turns off on the dash after a few miles. What does the Ascent do without sensors?
Robert has done this:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...eefier-tire-recommendations-14.html#post48941

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
So, I opted for new wheel sensors that were not cloned from my old ones, specifically because I am selling the old ones.

But, the way to do it for those who want to run two sets of wheels is to clone the new set to the old one, that way, they can swap without needing to reprogram.

As of late July, there were no aftermarket sensors that work with the Ascent, and the programming for other vehicles didn't work with the Ascent. I had to have mine done at the dealership using OEM sensors. That may have changed now that it's a couple months later, so, I'd check. First place I would check with is Discount Tire or some other reputable tire shop with Subaru experience.

OEM sensors run $100-120 a piece, depending on where you buy them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information Robert. Helpful as always. I didn’t realize they had to be cloned. I’ll look into Discount Tire like you suggested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cheapest I’ve been able to find OEM TPMS is $85 each.

The dealer that quoted me this price mentioned, “Most newer Subaru computers could store two different sensors so there would be no need to clone or reprogram the sensor when you switch your wheels and tires out for winter or summer.” I can’t find anything confirming this but that would be great. I did find information stating that Fords can store up to 8 different sensors. Fingers crossed Subaru’s are the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts