Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that they aren't that expensive, but I was curious if the wheel locks off my current forester (2012) would fit on my new ascent. Pretty sure they have used the same lugs for some time now, but wanted to get your thoughts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The short answer is no one knows yet since those specs aren't public (same with bolt pattern). But if the Ascent follows the Subaru pattern of Forester and Outback then the lug size should be M12x1.25 and the bolt pattern hopefully will be 5x114.3

·
Registered
598 Posts
Prolly depends where you live and if your car is garaged or parked on the street. In chicago proper wheels are stolen at all hours of the day and night like nothing. Fortunately I don't live in the city and have a garage otherwise I'd have all wheel locks and chains and pad-locks on every wheel.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I always thought the people who make a "career" from taking wheels have tools to bypass the wheel locks. Maybe it prevents amateurs?
My neighbor owns a big O tire store and he says they regularly break off people's wheel locks when they can't find the key. It takes his guys 2 seconds to do it with a simple hand held tool they whack with a hammer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My neighbor owns a big O tire store and he says they regularly break off people's wheel locks when they can't find the key. It takes his guys 2 seconds to do it with a simple hand held tool they whack with a hammer.
so what you are saying is they are completely useless? haha

·
Registered
597 Posts
My brother-in-law said the same thing. Takes no time at all and most people have no idea where the key is or the last shop forgot to put it back in the car.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think they are more of a security blanket for the owner. That and possibly a simple deterrent for a thief. But like anything else thieves go after, if it's something they really want, they are going to take it.

I plan on welding the wheels to the hub. Take that thieves! :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I still think they are good for deterring your average everyday thug looking for something petty to do. But anyone out to steal rims will get them easily.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the thread size and pitch will be the same as Forester and Outback. However, the critical info is the length of the nut. If the lock nut is too long and stick-out, the security benefit can be compromised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any little thing that may decrease who takes them, or slows down the person seems like a good investment. Not a huge fan of those subaru/mcgaurd ones. They break when using them. Especially if you use an impact on them. What is our size nut needed?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I know that they aren't that expensive, but I was curious if the wheel locks off my current forester (2012) would fit on my new ascent. Pretty sure they have used the same lugs for some time now, but wanted to get your thoughts.
They should fit, it's all the same screw (whatever you call it) pattern. I still have mine from our 2017 Impreza that I need to put on. It fits, same SKU # if you look it up.

My question is do people feel wheel locks are really important?
LOL, well.. do you want this to happen to you? you wake up one morning and bam.. good bye wheels! (See photo) This happend to my cousins truck a couple years ago, had to file an insurance claim.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.